YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several conversations, e-mails and ideas coming from YD, we have decided to have a dedicated forum for the purpose of raising funds for MND suffering.

If you have any ideas or events planned that could be of use to this charity then post it on here.

Lets try as a group to help out a charity that battles against a dreadful disease that has taken one of our own.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Right behind you on this. If there is anything I can do at any time to help, let me know. Meanwhile I will put my thinking cap on for a suitably silly and fun fundraising plan for the IOW shandy gig in July :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Every one of us must have a piece of spare kit.Why not place it for sale on here or ebay with the proceeds going to MND.
I will start the kitty with a brand new dive knife.
cheers
Mark

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
This sort of thing is why I love this place.

I never met Chris. I'd barely heard of him before I learned that he was about to die, yet I was deeply saddened when I read that he'd gone.

I spent some time reading a few of his posts and that saddened me even more. To witness the passing of somebody who obviously lived & loved life with such a passion and who touched everyone who knew him so deeply made me angry with myself that I hadn't registered his existence when I had the opportunity.

G

·
0 Posts
It goes without saying, that any event held would of course be liberally supplied with Cadburys chocolate

1kg bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk anyone?!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
warmwaterdiver said:
It goes without saying, that any event held would of course be liberally supplied with Cadburys chocolate

1kg bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk anyone?!
Saturday Gary? :D

Now if each of us put in a quid or whatever for each YDish (is that almost Jewish?) dive we did...

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

• Is there a site / official carity where one can learn more about MND.
  • Where can one make a financial donation for when can not attend a fund raising do?
  • Will the funds from YD go to a specific charity, would it be for research or help present MND sufferers?

·
I couldn't think of anything witty to put here
1,605 Posts
HelenP said:
Just put a Dive knife on ebay with proceeds to go to MND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7237839304

Helen:)
Great Idea BUT WE will have to 'reverse engineer' ebay here. I am currently the highest bidder at £1, if no one bids more I will win the knife for £1 - not exactly in the spirit of the auction.

If we bid on any auction, would it not be wise for us to publish our max bids on YD so that if anyone wants to post more (bearing in mind this is for charity!) they know what they have to bid to up the auction price?

My max bid is £10

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
hopper said:
Great Idea BUT WE will have to 'reverse engineer' ebay here. I am currently the highest bidder at £1, if no one bids more I will win the knife for £1 - not exactly in the spirit of the auction.

If we bid on any auction, would it not be wise for us to publish our max bids on YD so that if anyone wants to post more (bearing in mind this is for charity!) they know what they have to bid to up the auction price?

My max bid is £10
Well I have no need for another knife Hopper but I ll see your max bid and raise to £15 just for the hell of it as long as you promise to donate your original tenner.:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chris would have LOVED this idea

Thanks Andy and all other YDers who have initiated this brilliant idea.

Chris , Robert-Jan and I went through a bunch of Chris's dive gear in March. It was one of the benefits of knowing he was dying. I could ask him stuff like - "what the hell are these 20 hoses for?" and "why does one man need two identical twin-sets". I got my answers and I will also be putting this stuff up for sale to raise money for his website.

For those interested in where the money goes. All donations through Chris's Just Giving site go direct to the National Branch of the MND Association which is used for research primarily but also to help people cope with day to day life with this bloody awful disease. I have also been able to ask them to make a contribution back to our local branch who gave us so much direct support.

I am having a bit of a tough time right now and keep looking at young widow web forums but have not posted as I keep being drawn back to YD instead where I seem to find a way to release tears and get comfort from reading your posts about Chris.

Thanks

Liz
x

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts

·
Lost at Sea!
954 Posts
Voluntary £1 excess on air fills

If we are looking at fund raising ideas...
All of us want air fills, so we could either ask our local supplier (LDS or whatever) to charge an extra £1 for each fill with the proceeds going to the fund, or mentally charge ourselves for each fill and at the end of each month/year donate that amount to the fund.
HTH - Andy

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Liz Hall said:
and "why does one man need two identical twin-sets".

Liz
x
Liz

That would be the same reason I need two, - because we do.

Stay here Liz and don't bother with the other forums, although your posts are bringing me close to tears, so I might have to stop reading them at work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts