YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day started for me at 5.30 am. Well really the day started at 4.30 when I woke up and could get to sleep again! Well the day REALLY started the day before, pre cooking 140 burgers with Yazz in my kitchen! Well the day REALLY REALLY started Thursday when I put the treasure hunt into 8 Acres with Alun! Well the day.....................you get the picture!!!

Just a bit of preparation had been required to even get the day off to the ground and at half past midnight Friday night(saturday morning) i got a little bit over emotional and Yazz and I decided it was time to go to bed.

5.30 the alarms went off, it was Dooms Day. There was nothing I could think that I hadn't prepared for, if the day bombed it wasn't though lack of trying and I can't control the weather!

A quick check out of the window and it was Kath 1 Weather 0. Blue skies and a few fluffy white things but all in all promising!

The cars had been packed the night before so all we had to do was get in a go, which we promptly did. Down the motor way, arriving at 8 acres at about 7.15. The Bouncy Castle was due to be delivered at about 7.30 so just time to unload some stuff from the cars, but lo and behold the castle turns up early.

A massive thank you hug to the Abbey Castles dude as his guys unloaded the castle. We then had a bit of a "wait around" for NickS who was due to arrive at just afer 8, with the BBQ that Dennis Vessy who owns a local garage and is also a TDI instructor had built for us.

I think I now understand how expectant fathers feel, pacing up and down the marquee waiting for him!!!!!

Dave, the lake owner arrived and started sorting out the diving aspects - firing up the generator and compressor, opening up the cafe so we could get a brew and opening the tiolets! Dave had arrived back from his Scapa holiday at 3am so was perhaps a tad on the tired side but bless him it didn't show!

Nick arrived, and we unloaded the BBQ. Dave rang the power cable from the generator to the bouncy castle and up it went! Just for the record- YES I did have the forst bounce on the bouncy castle!!!!

Shaun, an 8 Acre employee then arrive, in the van, screeched to a halt, slammed the van door and went to go find Dave.......uh Oh!!!! The van had been towing the rib on the trailer down to the lake and as it had gone over one of the many bumps, the wheel had snapped off the trailer. This was not good, no rib = no diving. Dave and Shaun promptley set about sorting that out.

Northern Divers Ltd arrived with thier hard hat equipment and they were put in the back lake for fun and games.

Alun arrived with his balloon blowing attachement just as Mum and Dad ahd finished blowing them all up with lung power!!!!! Cat and Anne, mates from work also arrived to muck in and help.

Next rolls in the ambulance.One of the paramedics was a diver so the whole, do not touch with entonox lecture wasn't really needed, just a reminder!

Half nine arrives and the first paying customers arrived!!! Tony the Turtle was one of the first (if not THE first but I cant remember!!) and we set about starting a car parking system.

Buoyant Babe arrive in her camper van weilding croisants for breakfast (despite my pleas for a McD's!!!!!!!!) and a couple of prizes!!!

It was a strange day for people arriving really. A bit of a slow burner but people arrived all day really. First divers went into the water at about 11.30!!!!

Jay arrived with Mrs Jay (Adele?????) and Mini Jay (who I am reliabley informed was six a few days ago!!). Where I was given my very own original YD Fleece. Awwww cheers!!

At one point I did wonder WHERE Woz was becuase he didn't arrive whilst about 2pm ish. Digger arrived early ish but sat around drinking tea for hours before going anywhere near the water, and bottle monkey was so hungover from the night before he didn't get wet at ALL!!!

Lou and Caroline arrived jut as the BBQ started serving at about 12.30 followed closely by Kathy and Gary (ScubaNut and Scuba Chick).

Just as we had eaten food, Harace Dobbs did a bit of a talk about his experiences in diving with dolphins. There was a good turn out to that and eveyone seeme dto enjoy it. I have to confess, I didn't hear a word as I was dashing about doing this and that (I think I decided that having served everyone else their food (with help from Nick and Lee) I was a bit peckish myself and needed some food).

Jo Rawley arrived after the talk but just as the BBQ was doing "seconds". She looked a little hung over after her ball the previous night and within a few moments regretted wearing a skirt on the bouncy castle!!!!

We also realised that being on a bouncy castle as an adult is actually quite hard work, we aint as young as we used to be and Mini Woz and Mini Cousin Woz showed us how it should be done, complete with kazoo soundtrack!!!

The Northern Divers hard hat try dives were proving to be a big hit in the back lake. However, I wish to god that someone would turn off Diggers comms unit - you can't even shut him up under water!!!! I think nearly eveyone had a go at the hard hat stuff.

The day continued with prizes being claimed from the Treasure Hunt. Tom (not YD but hangs around with Bottle Mokey and Digger!!) won the signed DVD and books from Miranda whatserface.

As the day drew to a close eveyone sat around and folded the last few raffle tickets. It was like a victorian sewing circle, only it was a ticket folding circle!!!! How bizarre!!

And then we drew the raffle. It was really quite tense. I DO now know who holds the winning ticket (not physically becuase it was an internet sale but I know who's got the holiday!!!) It has gone to a YD-er but I'm not going to post until I have made contact and let them know myself.

Full list of the raffle prizes and winners will be posted as soon as I have unpacked all the stuff. The previous evening I'd been sent an email with some more prizes on them so I have kept all the tickets and will draw the last dozen prizes tonight, which were a last minute donation from Denney Diving. Any prizes unclaimed or unwanted will be re drawn so don't lose faith just yet if you aren't on the original winners list!

The day closed and the tents went up. Mum, Dad and Deborah took the buckets home for safe keeping and the rest of us cracked open a few bottles!!!

Brett from Dive Life arrived and promptly left again. I think he realised that food was quite a priority and went and got a dozen pizzas for us, including one that just burnt all the nerve endings in your mouth - that baby was HOT! I sat a demolished a fair proportion of a tube of pringles and dip too!!!! The cadburys choclate was shared out and then the heavens opened!!!!

Eveyone retired to the Marquee at which point Woz announced tha thte marquee was a "great structure for sitting in and talking sh1te".

Yaxx got a foot massage off Mrs Woz. Mrs Woz kept feeling my boobs, Woz, Bottle Monkey and Tom all wanted to feel the temperature of my sun burn using their forheads! Fiona kept taking pictures of everthing. Me Abi and Tom kept mucking about finding random tunes on my MP3 player.

Abi drank a whole bottle of strongbow and went to bed. I drank a whole bottle of vodka and passed out in bed at about midnight. I have know idea what happened after that (in fact some of the stuff that happened before is a bit hazy too!!!!!!!)

I regained consiousness at about half five and went to the loo and then slept off and on til about 9 when I got up. Gary thought I looked amusing as he just pointed at me and laughed!!!

Fiona then proceeded to cook yesterdays sausages on her camping stove to make sausage butties.

The kazoos were found, and promptly lost again (kazoos and hangovers don't mix!!!), tents collapsed (sometimes with Digger still in them!!!!!), brews were drunk, goodbyes said and it was all over!!!

I think I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed with the turn out. But, the people who were there put over £400 in the buckets. Quality not quantity, eh??. This includes raffle ticket sales on the day, entrance money and BBQ money. There are a few expenses to come out of that, St Johns have asked for a donation for their attendance and the food. The day easily broke even but wasn't quite the raging sucess I'd hoped for.

All in all we sold approximately 2100 raffle tickets at £1 each, plus what ever is left from the days "takings".

Id like to say thank you to
a) Dave and Michelle for giving us their lake
b) Everyone who donated prizes
c) Everyone who came to help me on the day
d) Everyone who bought a raffle ticket
e) Everyone who came to the day.

When the hangover subsides and I figure out where all the stuff is that got thrown in the car I put up a proper thank you list and a prize winners list too.

I'm off back to bed with a bottle of water. And NO! I'm not doing nexts years!!!!

K XX

Reactions: GLOC

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Some party pics

Tents pitched and time to relax

Brett before driving miles for pizza

Digger catches up with some revision

Kath makes a speech while she is still able to

Starts to rain so we move to the pavillion

Digger and Woz

Paul and Helen

Gary and Kathy

Bottle Monkey and Tom takes Digger's tent down

Trouble is he is still in it

·
Registered
125 Posts
kath2407 said:
Alun arrived with his balloon blowing attachement just as Mum and Dad ahd finished blowing them all up with lung power!!!!!

aahem - (loud cough!) I tied all the bloomin' things to the railings (ok, so after about 2 hours in the baking sunshine they began to burst one by one - poor Mum almost needed the Paramedics!) and I looked after my 'nephew' Max the Dog - apologies to those people he growled at - he doesn't mean it - he's a typical bloke - all noise and absolutely no action whatsoever! (I do hope you cleaned up the poo Katherine!)

A great success Katherine, well done - chill now - next big 'function' is me and you hitting Kenya! - will be good to find out the final total for MND. Though your hostess skills need some brushing up - you managed to introduce me to all of the girls but only a minor few of the guys - get it sorted will you!

Oh and Bantam - your pics are great but please put some nice caption underneath number 7080955 as it's our fab Dad looking at either a)the wind sock or b)the petrol station over the road!!

Deborah

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Well done to everyone who made this a success!
Group Hugs!!!

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
big thanks to Kath for all her effort - t'was great to put faces to the names on here and to have a cheeseburger for breakfast (very well cooked Nick).

Hope to see you all again soon.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
jorawley said:
big thanks to Kath for all her effort - t'was great to put faces to the names on here and to have a cheeseburger for breakfast (very well cooked Nick).

Hope to see you all again soon.
You should have been there Sunday morning Jo, we were reheating sausages then as well :D

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Fiona said:
You should have been there Sunday morning Jo, we were reheating sausages then as well :D
I think we may have found the source of the Leeds' E coil outbreak :eek:mg:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Just got back from my weekend away. What a cracking day Saturday was! It was lovely to neet so many YDers and put faces to names.

Well done Kath for all the hard work and effort you put in to making the day an absolute success!

My day had started getting up a 6am and packing up the campervan. Mr Helen (Paul) and myself had driven to Thirsk on Friday night to break the journey up. Got an early text from Kath with a McDonalds order and asking me to get her some batteries, so on the way out of Thirsk we found a Tesco and picked up some croissants too. Which was just as well, seeing as there wasn't a single McDonalds on the road we took from Thirsk to 8 Acre. Kath: Sometimes you've just gotta take what you can girl :) .

Arrived as Kath said just before ten, later than I had wanted to get there, but in one piece at least after negotiating the bumpy track down to 8 Acre. Appropriately, the van's CD player was belting out 'The lunatics have taken over the asylum' just as we got there.

Spent the day mooching around and went in for a dive later in the afternoon. Foolishly, I didn't take any weight out of my harness which is set up for saltwater, and was so overweighted I might as well have removed my fins and just walked along the bottom, kicking the silt up as I went (sorry guys, the viz was bad enough to start with :embarassed:).

Folding up the raffle tickets in a big circle was fun, it looked like a Women's Institute knitting circle with everyone sat round mucking in. Then the grand draw for the raffle began. I've always liked Geoff Milne you know. I'm sure I've given him lots of greens in the past...:D. Congratulation to Geoff on winning the holiday and to everyone else who won prizes. Thanks also to everyone who bought tickets and helped us raise what I am sure will amount to an impressive wad of cash (I'll await the final figure from kath)

I rang ScubaSue to tell her she'd won a YD duffel bag anfd that Frankie had won a fab set of regs. My mate Jim from my club won a torch as well.

Then the drinking began...and the chocolate eating (thanks gary -Warmwaterdiver :thumbs_up: ), and we spent the evening being regaled with a selection of pop classics on the kazoo by Woz and Bottlemonkey (I'm still traumatised by that :redface:). I have lots of pics which I'll download soon.

Well done to kath once again :girlhug:

Helen xxx

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
big big apologies

I have inadvertantly called Nick the chef Neilin the pics i posted. I have tried editting out my mistakes but no joy. So to all YD'ers that look at the link with the pics its Nick not Neil. Crikey and now I owe him 6 beers.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A big well done Kath for arranging such a great day...

Lovely to meet some new faces from YD and to spend the night chilling out in between mucho laughter!!!!

My thighs are still recovering from the bouncy castle :D :) :)

Kathy

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that Paul took a picture that could be particularly embarrasing to the Buoyant one and me. Hes being aproper gentleman not posting it!!!!

K XX

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
kath2407 said:
I know that Paul took a picture that could be particularly embarrasing to the Buoyant one and me. Hes being aproper gentleman not posting it!!!!

K XX
She didn't grope your boobs as well, did she? :)

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
kath2407 said:

K XX
I think I took that one and I can post if you like :D

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Kirstie said:
It wouldn't be a YD gig without any girlie/girlie boob groping going on :D

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
ScubaSue said:
It wouldn't be a YD gig without any girlie/girlie boob groping going on :D

true, true :redface:

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kirstie said:
and I thought I was special................well if she gropes EVERYONE.............!!!!

K XX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts