YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
depends where you go. I left my mobile signal behind a couple of hours outside Marsa. Had nothing in the Brothers, Daedalus, and recovered it around Elphinstone.

So, more than a couple of hours from land and the answer will be... This call is being diverted... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
depends where you go. I left my mobile signal behind a couple of hours outside Marsa. Had nothing in the Brothers, Daedalus, and recovered it around Elphinstone.

So, more than a couple of hours from land and the answer will be... This call is being diverted... :)

i am planning to go on the sinai classice departs from Sharm, my folks are always worried when i go diving so gotta ring them up every day. so as long as it's close to the land, it should be fine?

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
Hi

Good signal (july 07) near Sharm (between Dunraven and Tiran) very erratic signal around Thistlegorm, Rosie, Barge and Abu Nuhas.

hth

Neill

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can buy a mobinil tourist sim card onlineif you have a triband phone that isn't locked onto a network (before anyone moans at me, I am no technical phone type person, sorry), the incoming calls don't cost regardless of destination and the outgoing is much cheaper than from a uk mobile....if you are desperate for a phone whilst you are out there it might be an option for you. Have a google and see what you find.
Hope this helps
R

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
I had a signal most of the time on a North Red Sea trip, and poor Dan thought he was going to get a break :rolleyes:

Similar on the North Orkney Isles trip, intermittent but I found popping to the stern usually ensured a signal :)

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Near the coast and about twenty miles out had coverage (O2 contract phone) but out in the Islands (Daedalus, Brothers, etc.) nuffin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications S.A.E - Interactive Coverage Map

Have a look at the map above this is Vodafone eg coverage, MobiNiL the other Egyptian networks coverage can be found using the same website. Fiddle with the phone settings when you arrive as most UK networks have an agreement with both Egyptian networks if one is out of coverage the other may work.

Strangely I could send photo messages home for the African site of the Red Sea but only text messages from the Sinai side I was using the same network on both sides.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I take mine for the 21st Century Postcard to show those back at home that there is a strange yellow orb in the sky that produces heat and light and we see occasionally back in the UK.

I have also found a button on top of the phone which turns it OFF you can't receive calls send texts until you press that button again wonderful thing. I just wish more people on the train would discover that there phone has the same button:angry:

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I have to say that it was really nice to have no phones for a few days. The difference when we got to Elphinstone, and all the bleeping, ringing, and tune playing was as though the world had ended when we left and everyone had to tell us! I much preferred the stress free phone free days :)

My view is, that if something goes wrong, there is always a way to let those who need to know, know. Otherwise, assume everything is fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SAT Phone

Be VERY sure the boat WILL have a Sat phone. We e mailed and talked to the dive operators months before our trip as my wife was terrified about leaving the kids, and would only go to the Red Sea on a liveaboard, if she was sure it had a SAT phone for any emergencies.
We were told it did but once we arrived we were told in the briefing that the Sat phone had been removed (as it wasnt needed). This caused massive stress to my wife and I had to do some fast negotiating with the company, otherwise my wife would have walked off the boat.
The company agreed to give us a shore based number that we could forward for any emergenices.
After the trip I complained and got some money off my next trip, but we have yet to use the same operator again.
Normal phones work most of the time but if you require 100% coverage then confirm that with the operator!!

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Be aware the roaming costs mean its £1.50 a min to make a call and £1/min to receive.

Soon adds up to quite a bill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.