YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I finaly dived the Moldavia today after getting blown out all year. It was a superb day with 11 deg water and 10-15m viz. The wreck is stunning, I had herd about the portholes and great viz but no one told me just how much life there was on the site. It was teeming with fish including masive Ling and Conga and even some of our more colerfull Mediterainian wrass were to be seen. I got a big old crab for the pot and would have had another for my buddy but it was egg layden so had to go back. Many thanks to Rob for inviting the dive numptie on his trip (he even buddied with me the fool.)

Cracking day cracking site.

For future dives a sketch or plan of the wreck would be a great asset. Does any one know where I might locate such a thing ? Dived the bit with the gun on it today, it would be nice to know where I was in relation to the whole wreck.

All info greatfulley received.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Theres not too much info on what seems to be a truly great wreck dive Mark, I wonder why that is.... on the little that I found they mention that the viz is usually awesome.. It sounds great, definitely one for the books

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

Where is it,
? Mark, i'll see what i can dig up at work about it for you.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

It is 24 miles south of Littlehampton 50 23 08N : 00 28 43W
She was a 9,505 ton liner converted into an armed merchant cruser in WW1 Sunk in 1918 by a U boat.

I have a writen description in the Diver Guide Dive Sussex but that all I have come up with so far.

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

There was a gun!!??  Bloody.  Must get that mix course sorted but FAST.  Thanks to Mark, and apologies for keeping the poor sod waiting on the boat looking very grey (sea was a bit lively) whilst I completed my stops.  Well, I had to didn't I?  Last decent dive of the year (and it was superb) so I took the piss and spent 53min on the wreck, plus 50min deco. Used 80bar out of each 3l. Thank you, Bloody Inspiration!
It would make a top troop dive, most of the boats in the Brighton/Littlehampton area will go out to her but because of the length of the trip - 3hrs each way typically - and her depth she's not over-dived.
Bear in mind that even though the top of her hull sits at around 30m at low tide, much of the really interesting stuff is at 40+ so to get the best from her you want to be on twins and stages.  That said, there was a guy on the boat diving a 10l 300bar single and pony (didn't breathe apparently) who had a reasonable time too.
Most of the boats will have had their weekend dives for next year fully booked by clubs by now - however if there's enough interest from the troop I'll have a scour around and see what's available mid-week.
Definitely a must-do wreck.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

I was fine untill they brought out that Vegtible soup!!!

After we caught the first crab and bagged it we turned left and droped over the side of the wreck. As we did the gun was on our left pointing strieght down. I am sure you pointed at it at the time?? Having said that it was a bit encrusted so you might not have realised it was a gun.  She has aparently got eight 6" guns and I would gues we were on the stern section because the gun is often mentioned at this location.

Mark Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts