YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I have decided that I realy need to buy myself a digital camera (stills) and I want to get one with an UW housing so I can take diving "holiday snaps" with it.
My requirements are:-
must have LCD on the back
must take removable media
needs optical zoom
must be available with UW housing that will go to 35M

My budget including the housing is Approx £350, I would go to £400 ish if it was realy worth it.

So what would people recomend and why? (it'd be good if you could post a sample piccie as well)

Cheers

Simon A

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon

I couldn't find one for that money and went for the oly5050.  With housing it's around £530-540 but it's spot on. Do a search on this site, there are loads of comments.

If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you a couple of shots of my trip last week, I haven't got the know how to put them on here yet. (if you do, you can send me that instead!)

James

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Feb. 17 2004,02:18)]Hi Simon

I haven't got the know how to put them on here yet. (if you do, you can send me that instead!)

James
<font color='#0000FF'>Best way to put pictures on here is to register at www.photobucket.com and upload your images there.
It's a free and very easy way to upload images. Once you've got your images up you can just take the ready made link, copy and paste it in the post like this (slightly altered so it won't show as an image.)

[IMG ]http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1003/atckyrre/diving/1maudjarlefrontface.jpg[/IMG]

Alternatively you can attach images directly if you reduce their overall size to less than 30kb. But that's not very big...

Kyrre

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Looking round the web I've found this for £375.
And this for £419

Anyone got any coments on these?

Simon A

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Simon

I will post this here since you have asked and you are on a budget, however everyone on here will tell you, what you need is the 5050.

I have recently bought a Sony P10 and housing, it has never been outside never mind been in the water.
I have two 256mb cards as well as the 32mb supplied and an additional battery.  If your on a budget I can sell you mine for £460.  The cards alone are almost £100 retail.

Just a thought  

Fiona

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon A @ Feb. 17 2004,10:10)]Looking round the web I've found this for £375.
And this for £419

Anyone got any coments on these?

Simon A
<font color='#0000FF'>To me that looks like a nice deal. Olympus, good cameras. I'm sure you'll get very good pictures although you might lack some options that you get on the more advanced ones. For a normal photographer like you and me that camera should do the job and with good results.

External flash is even an option so I think you'll be well covered if you'd like to expand your gadgetry.

I say go.

Kyrre

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

unfortunately, everywhere I look has the 5050z as discontinued. Does anyone know what the replacement is?

Simon A

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon A @ Feb. 17 2004,11:19)]unfortunately, everywhere I look has the 5050z as discontinued. Does anyone know what the replacement is?

Simon A
<font color='#0000FF'>5060 I believe.

K

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

C5060W it's a wide angle version of the 5050 but the lens isn't as "bright" ie IIRC it's a f2.8 whereas the 5050 is an f1.8 so lets more light in

C5060W

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon A @ Feb. 17 2004,10:19)]unfortunately, everywhere I look has the 5050z as discontinued. Does anyone know what the replacement is?

Simon A

I have just phoned the webshop I bought my housing from and they say they have indeed been discountinued.  However I have looked at Dabs.com and their page says none in stock but 11 due in 1 - 3 days, £421 might be worth a look.

FB

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Feb. 17 2004,09:35)]Simon

I will post this here since you have asked and you are on a budget, however everyone on here will tell you, what you need is the 5050.

I have recently bought a Sony P10 and housing, it has never been outside never mind been in the water.
I have two 256mb cards as well as the 32mb supplied and an additional battery.  If your on a budget I can sell you mine for £460.  The cards alone are almost £100 retail.

Just a thought  

Fiona
Fiona,
just to clarify, you have bought a sony P-10 so you have a 5050 to sell?
or are you selling a Sony P-10?
If you are selling a 5050 then I'm interested (will have to consult with her who must be obeyed) especialy if it has any warranty left on it.

Simon A

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

No, I have a sony but want the 5050.  Just trying it on really.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

As an example of the kind of work you can produce with a very reasonably priced 4 mp digital camera (Canon PowerShot S45), take a look at a friend of mine's home page http://www.resochdyk.nu/
Click "Fotogalleri" and then "Dykning" for a selection of u/w pics from various trips he's made.
Have a look at the video "Grå revhaj i Sudan" (Grey reef sharks in Sudan) on the first page too.
Hans uses no external flash and no filter and only uses the camera's internal flash for extreme close-ups. He also uses the white balance function a lot, says that is the secret to bringing out the colour without an external flash. The reasults speak for themselves, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

I've got the Olympus mju400 with the pt016 housing. I'm damned impressed so far. I have only taken pictures in blue water but the close up shots are really good and the internal flash does the job. Email me direct if you want some examples.

£375 is a good price....I paid more and we are ment to be tax free!

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

TBH,
I'm leaning more and more towards the Mju 400, it's only for taking holiday snaps, if I was buying a 35mm camera for above water use it'd be a £99 special.

Simon A

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon A @ Feb. 17 2004,13:39)]TBH,
I'm leaning more and more towards the Mju 400, it's only for taking holiday snaps, was buying a 35mm camera for above water use it'd be a £99 special.

Simon A
You can get the camera for £259 here:
http://www.digital-cameras.com/shop/showproduct1544.html#bundles
and the PT-016 housing for £99 from the same place
http://www.digital-cameras.com/shop/showproduct.asp?id=1239
Total £358, which seems to be the lowest price in the UK.
Actually, the housing is a few pounds cheaper here (scroll almost all the way down the page) but they don't seem to sell the camera:
http://www.softjam.co.uk/cgi-bin....es.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts