YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is just a long shot, if not a little cheeky, considering I don't know many of you on here, but here goes.

On Saturday May 19th starting at midnight I'm signed up for the Moonwalk. It's the same distance as the marathon (26.2 miles) and it's all in aid of Breast Cancer. You're supposed to power walk for it, but I can't see me doing that! Just pootle along!

Before you say "pah, anyone can do that" yeah, I know, you're probably right, but for me even considering this is a big achievement. I've had dodgy knees all my life and at 27 they confirmed I had acute advanced arthritis. I have now had total knee replacements on both knees, one in 2000 the other in 2003. I'd always been jealous of people who could run the marathon and that is still something I could never do, but when I heard about this I felt compelled to sign up. I've been training hard, getting up to 15 miles last weekend. I'm planning on doing a 20 (the max they recommend before the walk) in 2 weeks time.

It also has another meaning for me. My Mum died of breast cancer in 1994, she was only 54. She'd be so proud of me for doing this, so I've got a double reason for wanting to do this!

Would any of you sponsor me, please? I can't guarantee managing the whole 26.2 however I WILL do the half moon for sure and am going to do my best to do the whole thing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if anything, please think of me at midnight on the 19th!!!!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Jools (? is it)
have you thought about opening up a "justgiving" thingy, that way anyone who donates can get the tax relief added to the donation. It also means we can donate online. let me know when you have set it up and I'll whack a tenner onto the page.

My wife suffers from a bad back (mashed vertibrae) so I fully understand how a "walk in the park" means a lot more to you than most, she has done a 10Km sponsored walk and it took a great deal of effort/willpower I am sure yours is the same, you're right your Mum would be proud of you.

Best wishes
Matt

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jools (? is it)
have you thought about opening up a "justgiving" thingy, that way anyone who donates can get the tax relief added to the donation. It also means we can donate online. let me know when you have set it up and I'll whack a tenner onto the page.

My wife suffers from a bad back (mashed vertibrae) so I fully understand how a "walk in the park" means a lot more to you than most, she has done a 10Km sponsored walk and it took a great deal of effort/willpower I am sure yours is the same, you're right your Mum would be proud of you.

Best wishes
Matt
WOW I've lead a sheltered life! I've now set up a page with Just Giving.

Here's the link: Justgiving - Hogen-Deifar's MoonWalk sponsorship page

Thanks for your help!

The only down side to the website is they charge 5% of all donations so if you'd rather sponsor me direct please PM me with your details and I'll PM you back after the event with details of where to pay etc!

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

X

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MoonWalk

WOW I've lead a sheltered life! I've now set up a page with Just Giving.

Here's the link: Justgiving - Hogen-Deifar's MoonWalk sponsorship page

Thanks for your help!

The only down side to the website is they charge 5% of all donations so if you'd rather sponsor me direct please PM me with your details and I'll PM you back after the event with details of where to pay etc!

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

X
Hello again

Well, I did the MoonWalk on Saturday night, crossing the line after 26.2 miles at 8.15am.

What an experience and how humbling to be amongst so many people who have been affected by breast cancer. My hat goes off to ALL those who took part. Having now walked the distance I have the utmost respect for everyone who walked it and also my hat goes off to the "idiots" who RUN it! How they do that I'll never understand but they've all gone up in my estimation! :thumbsup:

I even got up at 6 this morning to take the dogs for their normal 2 mile walk! I guess that's where the training's come in?!

I've posted this thread just in case anyone else wanted to consider sponsoring me? Well, it doesn't hurt to ask, does it?!?!

Thanks for your support.

X

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Julie,

sorry I missed this originally, congratulations on your achievement and I hope you raise a large amount.

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: hogen-deifar
1 - 8 of 8 Posts