YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems good customer service is making something of a comeback at the moment and for us, the end user, this is no bad thing, no bad thing at all.

A few weeks back now some kit disappeared out of my life, lost/left/stolen...couldn't tell you, no idea what happened to it but the insurance paid out so 'appy days..

One of those items was my buddy crack bottle blob so naturally I needed a new blob. I had an aqua elevations CO2 blob as a back up and was more than happy with it, my only qualm being its width of six inches verses the eight inches of the buddy. I believe in girth as well as length...

As part of the decision process with regards where to spend my cash I spoke to Nigel at aqua elevation and we decided to have a go with an eight inch width 1.5 metre blob, don't you just love mixing imperial and metric, one of the great things about being British.... I ordered two, CO2 with open baffle so I can stick a flubber up the arse if needs be for a very agreeable price, paid and waited.

Within a week my new blobs arrived, I stuck on a 16 gram cartridge and popped it, the blob was OK but not the standy up firm I would have liked, I think in use it would either lay flat on the surface and/or the bottom quarter would be beneath the waves if there were a bit if weight on it, now I want a 1.5m blob so that 1.5m is visible, I want an eight inch width to maximise visibility, I don't mind diving in chop and swell so long as I can be recovered post dive... I want the skipper to be able to see me with ease.

It is fair to say I wasn't happy with the outcome and reluctantly accepted that to get a good stiffy from a 16g cart a width of six inches was needed and put this to Nigel who in a moment of inspiration suggested rather than have two new blobs both six inches why not send them to him and he could have a go at welding a six inch central channel for the gas to go in leaving an inch flap each side so as to keep the eight inch width but achieve a good, firm erection. OK says I, give it a whirl.

A few days later and the adapted blobs arrived with the welded central channel and the work brilliantly, firm and upright with a good girth...

Cheers Nigel, job well done...

Now all I need to do is remove that unnecessary toggle on the dump, Nigel please note, you don't need to put the toggle on the dump, it rolls up better without it...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
How much did you pay?I have heard a lot of good things about AE but never seen a price for the co2+baffle ones. its a good design idea though and looks very well made

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A smidge over £40 posted but then I did get two so many a little discount was applied...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Now all you need to do is set up a group buy ;)
i have always fancied a co2 one but don't do enough sea dives to justify one atm have had 8 sea dives this year :(

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I don't need to set up a group buy.... I have mine thanks ;)
You are a true team player ;)
as a thought can you just buy the co2 inflation bit? i have a oldish buddy smb and can put a bit of gas inside it first then pull the string and it will be firmer than a firm thing :D

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Its called Cubism, a space designed around regularity and neatness. ok i suck on the last part but still.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Done a lot of sea dives this year flipping between crack bottle and the AE CO2 blob. Very impressed with the AE blob and was telling someone this on a boat out of Brighton. Glad about that said the person the other side of me, and that's when I first met Nigel. Clearly a man of taste, he dives a Meg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts