1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

This just in off the BBC Website:

"Forest lake to become national diving centre
A former quarry looks set to become Britain's foremost venue for training divers.

Dayhouse Quarry near Tidenham in the Forest of Dean contains the deepest man-made lake in Britain which shelves from 20ft down to 260ft. The developer says the National Diving Centre will open for business early next year, with a hotel and restaurant being added later."

As you can see, it's a little thin on detail, so I'll have a scout and see what I can dig up.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Bloody Typical isn't it!  No sooner that my in-laws move away from Gloucester, a new dive site opens not 20miles away.  Just imagine the brownie points I could have earned - "Jo, why not go and see your parents this and next weekend, oh and the weekend after that if you like!"

Sod it!!!

Still I still have a brother-in-law in Somerset so Vobster looks a certainty sometime soon - and bloody good it looks too.  Choo-choo - Kit train here I come!

Looks like Stoney is finally getting some real competition.  Maybe now they'll do some radical to sort out some of their problems - maybe one day they may even develop themselves a web-site.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

260 feet,,,, wow i'll have some of that.

Always fancied free diving ,,,,:eek:

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

is it gonna be free to dive there?  that will make Stoney sit up and change their ways!!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Latest on this new dive site.

Opens 22nd Feb 2003. Check out the new link and features. Looks to be everything that Dotty should have been.....

http://www.nationaldivingcentre.com/

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I think the guy who owns dotty (Glynn Small) should kick himself that someone else has set up a (rival) deep water site on the same side of the UK - I think most of the diving community will be next in line to do the same.

12 squids for a quarry dive though - that is a bit steep. I don`t go to Stoney for the sole reason it costs £10 to get in. Am I showing my Yorkshire ways up, or is that pretty #### expensive?

With costs like this though, I reckon Dotty might see even more divers than before. There is a fair chance people will get the taste for deeper diving and then stop seeing the funny side of a fortune to do so - off to dotty they go.

Just my thoughts

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

OK guys/gals,

I am planning a trip on the 22nd to the quarry (OK it is the first day, but it is the wifes birthday on the 23rd so something had to give :biggrin: )

Anyone else likely to be going across to have a look ??

Bren,  

Got any idea when the northern contingent are likely to make a mass rampage down to the southern neck of the woods to check Tidenham out?  

Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Daz,

I may be able to help you out here mate. I'm being sent two 'Industry VIP Invites' next week for the Grand Opening on the 22nd Feb!! I can send them to you if you want them? Send me your address and I can get them sent to you.

You'll have to apologise for me and say that I couldn't make it and that you are from YD and coming in my place.

Enjoy the day mate and look forward to reading your report after the event.

Cheers,

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Bren,

Much appreciated,  I will send you my address via email.  

I will obviously uphold the good standing of the YD contingent and act responsible and sober at all times despite them trying to pour copious quantities of their finest champagne down my neck in their adaquately stocked hospitality tent before serving me the finest food available.

Who am I trying to kid :lol:  but very much appreciated and the least I can do is promise you all a full and detailed report on my return.

Daz,

P.S, If they do feed me the finest food and best champagne I promise you a beer and bacon butty when we do meet up ;)

What the ####, I promise you a beer and bacon butty just for the passes.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Daz,

Clarification of date for VIP/Press Opening Day - it is Wednesday, 19th Feb.

The Grand Opening - for the great unwashed hordes (the public) is Saturday, 22nd Feb. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Slight minor hiccup but nothing major,,,,,

I will be going along,  I am planning an RV on the 22nd.  Official opening day...  I promise afull report and I will take my video camera if I get chance....

Things are also looking promising for the Treaddur bay trip so plenty of opportunity to bore you all with the video or I also have footage of the Phillipines, Thailand, Gozo erc....  

Copious quantities of Alcohol will stop stop me.... You have been warned,,,,,,,

Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

I think we can provide the Sherry, no sweat, but if you stop that camera rolling with all the trips you've got filmed, we may be forced to 'over-weight' your next next dive ;)

Roll on NDC and Angelsey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts