YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok, for those on twins (and those making the move now), a few questions:

1. When did you make the move (ie how many previous dives / years diving?)
2. Why did you make the change?
3. What are your experiences since moving (good bits / bad bits).

Reason, I can see myself moving at some point in the future but given the expense want to see:
1. If it's really worth it.  
2. If so then I can start pulling together the bits and pieces now, probably second hand stuff here and there so that I'll have a complete solution later on when I feel ready for it.

Main reason for me to do it is really to max out on time actually in the water - never mind the depth, feel that dive time!

Don't really want advice on equipment choices as that can come later.

(Edited by Timing at 2:15 pm on Dec. 3, 2002)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I only got my twins relatively recently,I got them for the one reason which is primary in my selection of gear..."I got em'cheap".My Heisers I got from one of my Old Man's old diving buddies,all his gear was still in his shed,I got the homemade drysuit,twins,Cyclon reg.etc for £75,The twins still had air in and tested OK.My Sabre set I just landed lucky with,RN (so twinvert set up)surplus, used perhaps once with Sabre DIN valves and full test for £100.
Thats why I've got them.The rec.diving I do(I wish)I could easily do on a single,less weight to cart around(the Heisers are perversely heavy,(ask those who've felt em'ooer),cheaper to fill,cheaper to test etc.The twins do give me more dive time however,but if your Buddies on a single you lug it around for the fun anyway..unless you breathe like a schoolboy watching blue movies.
It used to be the case,once,when "fish prodding" that as you developed your skills you could go from twins to a single!Seems odd now does'nt it?HTH,Hobby.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Tim,

I'll tell my reasons etc. on Friday

You can try out my rig if you like - no problem.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark, I see you linked to the GUE site, are you a like minded soul?? Are you DIR orientated if so how much? i.e. have you taken on the whole holistic concept or have you just taken so much from it, equipment config, training etc?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,

I'm not 100% DIR so can't and wouldn't claim to be. I'm pretty close though. One thing that makes it very hard is being in a BSAC club and having to dive with totally un-DIR divers. I do prefer to and try to only dive with people that are using the same gear/gas/attitude (etc.) as me and/or at least have an interest in DIS or DIR. I want to instruct so I don't have a lot of choice

I've not taken what I want from it and made up the rest because I think it's a very good way to go as it is. I think it's a very responsible way to dive
and it suits me.

My nitrox/deco training was with UE in Portland (with Izzy) and I'll be going back for trimix in April. My gear is 100% (at last - just got new regs).

Did you know that GUE will start operating in the UK next year? JJ will be at LIDS in March (or so I have heard).

Hope that answers your question.

Take care,

Mark.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

Hi Tim,

I'm also fairly new to twin set diving. I've had my 10s for just over 2 years. I was doing more technical course, with a view to doing deeper, technical dives, possibly trimix in the future. The dives we want to do are beyond the level of what I would consider doing on a single & pony (ie deeper than 35-40m).

I am very pleased with using the twins. Having just bought a further set of twin 7s for shallower diving, I can't see me ever going back to a single & pony set-up.

I've found I'm now more balanced. The only downside I've come across on Club dives are others in the RIBs (who use singles) getiing p****d off at having to lift them back into the boat!!

Hope this helps.

Richard

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Yep I just read the report from Izzy on the DIS-UK list, very cool, it's about time.. I will definitely go to the seminars but the price of the DIR-F course is outrageous...

I intend to go the Trimix route trained by Andy Hayhurst (Dalesdiver) anyway, but would still have liked to have done the fundamentals, some of the reports I've read on the Scubaboard tech forums about the DIR-F are awesome, It's supposed to be a very humbling experience for those that think they can do it all and a great learning experience for those that want it, but for that price I'd want them to supply me with a new 55 as well as the training ;)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]would still have liked to have done the fundamentals, some of the reports I've read on the Scubaboard tech forums about the DIR-F are awesome, It's supposed to be a very humbling experience for those that think they can do it all and a great learning experience for those that want it
<span =''>

What I always found disturbing was the praise it got on rec.scuba - "What a wonderful course, I never realised that good buoyancy control was useful" and "From now on, I will always keep my buddy in sight on a dive" were not uncommon.

If they really are so badly trained over there, it's no wonder GI recommends never diving without a fellow DIRer..

Anyway, back on topic... I switched to twin 7s last year, basically because I wanted to replaced my BSAC-standard Buddy Commando + pony with a Hog rig.. much to the bafflement of my fellow club members (Two meter hose? Why would anybody want a 2m hose??)

Now I'm just waiting for the long-promised clean air whip to be put onto the club compressor before I go over to Nitrox..

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys,

At the mo its something for the future but if, like hobby, I get offered a set-up for peanuts then I'd be crazy not too - you can always sell it later right!?!

Am intrigued by the 'better feel' comments that I've heard here and elsewhere.  Mark, thanks for the offer, I'd love to try out a set - see what you guys are really on about, esp compared to my 15+pony.

Come on you other twins afficionado's what about you?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

I've just recently bought my twins - 7l 300bar and although I've only had 3-4 dives with them, I think that they are superb.
One of the main reasons why I changed was because of the unbalanced feeling I got from a cylinder and pony.  I no longer get this, plus using a backplate and harness the set up is slightly higher on my back and closer in - giving a much increased feeling of security and no more of the 'wobble' factor that I got with a single and Stab jacket.

I've still got a bit to do on weight distrubtion and fine tuning the harness before attempting shut down drills etc, so although I have a manifold on the twins, I'm using them as independants for the moment.

Definately the way to go though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

I agree with the comments made previously about the stability of twins. I started diving on twins after about 40 dives, and have done about 200 dives on twin 232 10ls.  

I first used them seriously in Scapa, where they are ideal, as you fall off the boat, so weight isn't an issue, and I was coming out with 100 bar left in each cylinder, which gives you more reserve than a 15/pony.

Compared to a 15/12 and a pony, I find the extra hoses are harder to manage, and the pony makes the weighting very lopsided. You can partially fix it with trim weights, but it's not ideal. With a 15 and a pony (the way I had it set up), you have two pressure gauges and three second stages, compared to one pressure gauge and two second stages on a manifolded twin set. More points of failure.

I also like the extra air, especially when instructing and running up lots of deco.

As for cost, I usually get two 45 minute dives out of one twin set fill, so I don't spend anything more on fills. Yes, I have to nitrox clean another cylinder, but at £10/£20 a year, it doesn't bother me.

Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

When...? I only moved over to twins this year(ie when I finished all the student stuff and got a paying job!), having been diving since 1997/1998,

Why...? several reasons, less tank swapping, increased feeling of security with more gas (especially with gas guzzling trainee alongside), also been around a lot of twins users for a long long time so had it in mind for longer than I could afford it

What experiences...? in terms of in-water issues, the changeover to twins was less noticable than the change to a wing from a regular BCD. Other than minor cost related issues such as needing another 1st stage and some kit faffing, I haven't found any downsides in moving to twins

I'm not entirely sure I have the "Trim" issue sorted entirely to my satisfaction, but remembering back to when I was an impoverished student using club Spiro regs, plastic backplate and ABLJ,  I'm not complaining !! :biggrin:
Chee-az
Steve

PS Tim offer still stands to let you try my Wing/Twinset rig but not sure how much time I'll have for diving in the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

I got put together a twin sets when I did my nitrox course about 3 years ago. I started using them as far back as when I was being certified (SAA) as a diver in the 80’s. The instructor wanted to see us with twin tanks for a couple of dives. The set up consisted of twin set boots, manifold and some nylon webbing, no bands or SS plates.

My main reason is extra fuel and the ability of doing shutdowns. Some times I still use a 16L single tank but I have an H valve on this - we experience too many malfunctions in the winter. Any diving that I do deeper than 15 – 20 m, I always carry a pony with me, even if I’m using a twin set. For more **serious** stuff I even got stages. Most of my diving is off charter boats or places where I can park right next to shore This helps the back a little bit.

My set up consist of twin steel 12L Fabers with Canadian / US service fills of 180 bars. The pony is a Catalina 4L aluminum that can take 200 bars (very handy kit).

Have a great weekend

Lawrence

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Thanks again all, its interesting stuff - keep it coming.

Did a couple of dives yesterday with Mark and had a good look at his setup.  He was diving a Halcyon setup and it looked very smart and simple.  Didn't get time to try it out due to lots (and lots) of faffing about on my part on arrival.

Steve, thanks for the offer - I will defo try a twin set as I would really like to try it out.

Keep it coming folks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Tim

My first experience of twins was during a dive in Hodge Close with Andy Hayhurst and others, the first dive was with my BC and single 15ltr, I was really overweighted at the time (still messing with a new config) and the dive was awful... I felt crushed because of the amount of air I had to put in my BC to counteract the weight, I felt like I was having to fin all of the time to stay neutral, head high/fin low trim, the whole dive felt crap.. It was just one of those bad dives anyway, everything felt pooh..

After a shortish SI Andy who knew I was interested in going the twinset route, offered to let me use his rig and do another dive, so in we popped...

Now then, remember I had worn this rig for only minutes and yet it felt wonderful, even though I had on the same overweighted belt, I felt no crush, I felt no struggle to stay bouyant or to stay horizontal, I felt as though I was being transported around the bottom of Hodge suspended below a small Zeppelin, I could hang motionless in the water and everything felt absolutely ticketybooh, it was as though I'd been using this gear forever... At that moment I was sold, since then I've moved over to twins, Halcyon wing etc.. There's no going back my friend...

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Cheers Dave.  I remember your posts on trying the setup at Hodge and it was partly that which really got me thinking about wings and twins.

I must say that I like the look of the Halcyon gear (not just the black and 'chrome' appearance) as it looks very solid and the DIR setup does look remarkably simple and uncluttered.  I'll be doing a bit more readin around this and may very well find myself going that route.  

The key will be trying it out, improving the understanding (theory / pros cons etc) before committing the cash - oh and getting more dives in on the single!  Hopefully all this will come together after about 100 dives and I can then really make an informed decision.

Thanks all.  All too soon I may be after equipment advice so don't go away!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

Tim,

Cash was very much a consideration when I bought my twins, to the extent that I decided not to change my current BC arrangement.

Having only just bought a new Buddy Profile TD a couple of years previously, I couldn't justify ditching it in favour of wing & backplate. As a cheaper alternative I added a Buddy Redwing to my set up.

It may be frowned upon by die-hard techies, but it works for me.

Richard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts