YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tell me again... Which way is up?
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off on a familly holiday to Marrakech in september, does anyone know of any dive trip operaters out there for a couple or 3 days diving?

·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I missing something here. Marakesh is aout 90 miles away from the coast not your normal place to be looking to dive!
The hotel is a cheap 5* holiday, an I'm not adverse to a bit of a trip out to dive. It all adds to the experience (travelled about the same a few years ago in Turkey) and it's only about the same as the minimum I travel to sea dive at home.
Thanks to Woz and Rod so far, I asked on here as I couldn't find anything on a quick search either but hoped for a bit of "local" knowledge :)

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
Sorry my reply was a bit short but I was rushing out.

There used to be a couple of dive centres on the coast near Agadir and one nearer to Spain on the Northern coastline but they both have closed down.

The country is great for surfing but there is very little in the way of diving which is probably why the dive centres failed.

Beach at Agadir is very nice unless the royals pay a visit to their 'weekend' palace as the beach is shut off by armed guards.

·
All men are created equal, then some become Toads.
903 Posts
i had a great holiday in Agadir Morocco in march 2011 and yes theres no diving centres to be found in Agadir and defo none in Marrakech just plenty of souks make sure you haggle !

there are plenty of "wacky backy" sellers as everyone wants to sell it to you ?:spliff: and watches and carpets

·
I love Justin Bieber
772 Posts
gixerdiver;1686849there are plenty of "wacky backy" sellers as everyone wants to sell it to you ?:spliff: [/QUOTE said:
I spent 3 months out there 2002 in Tangier, Rabat & a stunning town called Azilah in the Daze Valley. Loved every minute of it have a great time. Yep, loads of "Kif" about but also loads of dodgy feckers who'll sell to you & then shop you to the Shirta /Cops. If you don't pay the Bribe, you'll be in the clink. 9 times out of 10 you'll come out with a backside like a burst balloon.. No diving & Anal Raping, purhaps not the best way to end a holiday.

·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent 3 months out there 2002 in Tangier, Rabat & a stunning town called Azilah in the Daze Valley. Loved every minute of it have a great time. Yep, loads of "Kif" about but also loads of dodgy feckers who'll sell to you & then shop you to the Shirta /Cops. If you don't pay the Bribe, you'll be in the clink. 9 times out of 10 you'll come out with a backside like a burst balloon.. No diving & Anal Raping, purhaps not the best way to end a holiday.
Personal experience? :) :) :)

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
I spent a few weeks in Morocco and it was an amazing experience and before I started diving so I have no knowledge regarding your original questions.

I would just echo others comments re drug sellers , ' spice' sellers and that pretty much everyone is out to rob you or rip you off. Take the minimum cash out with you each day, no flashy jewellery or smart handbags for the wife ( or you :) )

If you are going into the main souk which covers 7 acres hire a tourist guide with badge and credentials. Not very expensive but they will keep you safe and show you the very best of the souk and every quarter of the town too if you hire them all day.

Also be prepared for extreme heat. Our hotel had air con and a balcony outside our room looked inviting to sit on but when I stepped out my shoe sole melted to the tiles ! Brilliant to dry the odd t shirt we washed though. I'd open the door flip it wet onto the tiles watch the hiss and steam rise turn it over for a minute and lift it up dry and ready to wear :)

I think it was 43 degrees when we were there in September.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts