YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Most useful Job for Diving - What's the best job for a diver?

• Mechnical Engineer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electrical Engineer

• Self Employed of some sort or other

• Medic

• Some Sort of IT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Leaving aside the obvious (dive instructor, skipper. dive shop owner etc), what do you guys reckon is the best job to have if you're a diver ?  

Engineers can make and fix dive kit

Teachers get reaaaaallllllly long holidays slap bang in the middle of the Uk diving season

If you're self employed, you could sort it to go to Stoney mid week and miss the crowds

If you're a medic you have a big head start on the deco theory and any medical issues that come up.  Also, you can get your hands on the really strong anti-sickness drugs for seasickness !

If you work in IT you might be able to sort web sites and cunning things like Yorkshire divers

Or are there others I've missed?  I work in IT but no longer in the tech side - if you've got a system to implement, process to re-engineer or requirements to write, I'm your man - not very useful to diving (or to be honest, anyone or anything).

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ahar @ Mar. 16 2004,18:31)]If you're a medic you have a big head start on the deco theory and any medical issues that come up.  Also, you can get your hands on the really strong anti-sickness drugs for seasickness !
<font color='#000080'>Metaclopramide is also supplied to vets  
  mind you i dont work there anymore.  Bugger.  I do however work somewhere that is knee deep in stainless steel boat bits...........

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 16 2004,19:06)]I do however work somewhere that is knee deep in stainless steel boat bits...........
<font color='#8D38C9'>well you should pass them over to a suitably qualified engineer

of course failing that me  

Engineers only fix kit cause they broke it in the first place trying to work out how it works  

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>metaclopramide is not the strong stuff........besides a small but significant risk of oculogyric crisis (especially in young women - which of course I am)

Fee

·
Registered
123 Posts
Imported post

I'm a teacher and it hasn't helped my diving so far.
I'm comming to the end of a 2 week holiday (yes I know I've got it tough!) and I only got one extra day of diving in because I have no buddies free on a weekday.

Bah Humbug.

Crev'

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Engineers can make all the extra bits you need for diving on the side at work. Most of my home-built stuff comes with a green card due to its foreign nature. Tool rooms are excellent for a good bit of bodging, and stainless TIG welding for the price of a cup of tea.

Look at Woz he claims to be an engineer and he's got a good side line going in diving accessories.

Got to go for Engineers all the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Professionally unemployed (unemployable) do no work but get paid for it and go diving:O

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

Actually teaching is a bit of a pain when it comes to diving holidays. Although there are longish holidays in summer, that is the most expensive time to fly off places. And none of your non-teaching mates want to go then, they organise trips for other times because it's much cheaper...times when you can't go because they won't give you time off work.:(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>The best job to curtail your diving is to actually buy a dive centre.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ahh Squaddie,

'cos you can get all the training for free as adventure training, sorry you pay a percentage (25%),you can borrow loan stores (kit), if you fancy going somewhere nice organise it as an adventure training trip (Cost 25% all done in working hours), if your organising it, its doing your career good, i.e.

Novice Diver 1 week course at Fort Bovisands Joint Service Adventure Training Centre, travel from Omagh to Bovi including ferry and fuel paid for by the army, course-Free, Kit loan - Free, Time off - working hours as i was training.

Sport Diver - 10 days diving in Kenya, Watamu about 60 miles North of Mombasa, 2 boat dives a day, twin bunk accom, kit, full board, afternoon tea served at the pool (Revision while sitting in the pool having tea and cake) total cost to me £125. Working hours.

I rest my case.

Paul

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hmmm, off to join the Army then.  Paid diving and the added bonus of playing with Explosives ......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Hmm! Member of a rather large flying club for 20 yrs, so got lots of cheap diving in.

Being a vehicle technician helped me find work for 5 yrs as a scuba instructor, after leaving said flying club.

That reminds me, I must thank Queenie for paying for it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts