YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally post non diving related stuff and sometimes have a pop about the crap that's posted but I'm sure you won't mind me making a one off :)

I put an offer in on a place over 4 weeks ago and accepted an offer on mine the week before, they did a survey on my place over 2 weeks ago so I chased up the solicitors at my end to see how were getting on.

"Well Mr Richmond, were still waiting to hear from the Estate agents so haven't done anything" :angry:

The last two times I've moved house have been between 4 and 6 weeks so having just gone out and ordered a load of new furniture and no were to put it how long is the average completion time nowadays?

·
Registered
666 Posts
It depends on the chain involved and whether everyone involved in the sale and purchase are genuine and being open and honest, i.e. not saying they have their mortgage sorted when they haven't even started looking!

But, rule of thumb in this part of the world at least, is 8-10 weeks from offer to completion.

HTH

Gav

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
For fcucking ever it seems to me. Had my offer accepted in February, am hopefully going to exchage this week and complete next week. Don't hold your breath.

The current delay is from the vendor's solicitor not pulling their thumbs out of their arses and doing anything. It seems you have to continually hassle them. My solicitor, I have to say, has been very good.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
took me 3 months from start to finish but i had a useless solicitors. Damn frustrating to have to keep chasing them all the time but it works.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
In my experience it seems to average about 3 months,

The trouble is that solicitors (and I'm generalising here) tend to work on a reactive basis, so when something lands on their desk they will deal with it. However, they won't go looking for things or chase things up unless you push them. You end up talking to them, then chasing everyone else up for them.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
took me nearly 12 weeks the 2nd time last year, mainly because the people I was buying from were lying cheating barstewards, if I knew where they had moved to it would be a toss up whether i let their creditors send the hitman or whether I would save them the trouble and do the job myself.... :angry:

My advice is manage your solicitors gently but firmly from day one, if things need chasing do it yourself as they will always put things in snail mail writing so that they have the perfect audit trail. The downside is that therefore things will go very slowly. From the outset assume that the Solicitors will do wwaht you tell them so you need to understand the process so that you can manage it effectively. Be prepared to go round to estate agents to prompt them to take whatever action is needed. Top Tip!!!! if you can get your buyers phone number I guarantee it will make life easier at some point. Needless to say the highly paid thieves in the estate agency would rather you never spoke to the buyer directly because despite the fact that it's you paying them, their loyalty will be to the buyer.

The very best of luck

Pete

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, as the buyer of our place in my soon to be brother an sister-in law that side is going smooth, seems like I'm going to have to push my side but looks like a 6 week completion is out of the window and we may be looking at 12 weeks. :frown:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
When I moved was 6 months from offer being accepted to completion, and that was with no chain... Mainly due to the seller dragging her feet, eventually got persuaded to do something when I threatened (and meant it!) to pull out.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
3 and a half months, but had problems on the chain. Did alot of chasing up as vendor's agent wouldn't speak to my solicitor, but would speak with me! Am finally in though :teeth: and the last purchase took 2 months with no problems at all, but then that was no chain.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Took us about 8 weeks to complete on sale, and we are now going for 8 weeks for the buying of a new place too :D Fingers crossed, but it can be done. Just need buyer and seller to work together and hassle solicitors and estate agents.

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
It's been said before but definitely depends on the chain involved in the whole thing. I would definitely chase your solicitor. I would check that they have put their searches in hand (Local Authority, Highways etc) because that can take some time to come back depending on your local authority so you don't want that holding things up. Also check whether they have received the draft contract yet -that will tell you whether they are sitting on things or whether they are waiting for documentation from the vendor's solicitor and should tell you where the hold up is.

HTH
Jules

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
It took me 4 months. We had a great estate agent and solicitor but in the end some doddery old fcuk buying an investment property decided to fcuk up the whole chain by dictating the timescales :angry: ........I wouldn't normally have minded but at the time we were expecting our youngest and didn't need the stress of that added to it. In the end we moved in one week before he was born.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
took me nearly 12 weeks the 2nd time last year, mainly because the people I was buying from were lying cheating barstewards, if I knew where they had moved to it would be a toss up whether i let their creditors send the hitman or whether I would save them the trouble and do the job myself.... :angry:

My advice is manage your solicitors gently but firmly from day one, if things need chasing do it yourself as they will always put things in snail mail writing so that they have the perfect audit trail. The downside is that therefore things will go very slowly. From the outset assume that the Solicitors will do wwaht you tell them so you need to understand the process so that you can manage it effectively. Be prepared to go round to estate agents to prompt them to take whatever action is needed. Top Tip!!!! if you can get your buyers phone number I guarantee it will make life easier at some point. Needless to say the highly paid thieves in the estate agency would rather you never spoke to the buyer directly because despite the fact that it's you paying them, their loyalty will be to the buyer.

The very best of luck

Pete
I would agree with this.

From the off, be up front with your expections from all involved - be prepared to put some of the legwork in yourself (even if you are paying a solicitor to do the work) and when the solicitors tell you it's not going to plan, tell them that from the beginning you made it clear how long you expected them/ the process to take. Ask for phone numbers of the other solicitors involved if need be...

It worked for me - from placing my house on the market, to moving - 4 weeks to the day - exactly as I had told everyone I needed it to be at the beginning of the process. Might seem hard, and you will probably get known as a right royal pain in the arse, but this will only mean the other 'proffessional' parties will want oyu off their books as soon as possible. I even sat in the room with the solicitor while he made some of the phone calls needed...

HTH

Pete

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just spoken to my solicitors and am going to take the deeds from my house in to them and pick up the contract to sign this afternoon and give them a bit of a kick up the a*se.

Never had this hassle before, must be third time unlucky :frown:

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
From 1st June should be quicker with a HIP. All the searches, deeds , standard questions etc will be answered in the pack before you make the offer. Makes loads of sense to me.

Should point out that they are only for homes marketed after 1st June. Ignore the negative guff in the press HIP's are still a big policital football, and the survey is no longer mandatory so ignore that misinformation as well.

Remember the estate agents works for the vendor not the buyer. They have no duty to the buyer.

Solicitor. You have apointed a solictor you have appointed the clerk. The solcitor just signs the letters and explains the information obtained by the clerk. You dont think your paying for a solicitor when the fee is as little as £400 do ya.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I moved 5 weeks ago after a 3 month wait for exchange and completion. And that was a straight forward move with no chains.

After 8 weeks I was on the phone every day to my buyer, the person selling me their house, the solicitor and the estate agent (for extra nagging and kick -ass and to make sure they earned their comission)

Typical phone call to solicitor:

Hello, me again, are my searches back yet?

Erm, no, sorry.

Can you possibly go and look in my file to make sure?

Oh yes, they are back, I hadn't noticed...........:frown:

The best advice I had is to keep phoning every day and go in and see the solicitor a lot til they get sick of the sight of you and get on with things.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It never seems to go as easily as it should - I had my offer accepted in February,there's no chain involved as I have the cash up front and the vendors are moving to Spain.

We are still waiting for the exchnage of contracts, I'm hoping it will all go through and I'll move next week. The delay is mainly due to estate agents not bothering to ring back after queries, solicitors who take forever to get searches done, and vendors who seem to bugger about for the sake of it!

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From 1st June should be quicker with a HIP. All the searches, deeds , standard questions etc will be answered in the pack before you make the offer. Makes loads of sense to me.

Should point out that they are only for homes marketed after 1st June. Ignore the negative guff in the press HIP's are still a big policital football, and the survey is no longer mandatory so ignore that misinformation as well.

Remember the estate agents works for the vendor not the buyer. They have no duty to the buyer.

Solicitor. You have apointed a solictor you have appointed the clerk. The solcitor just signs the letters and explains the information obtained by the clerk. You dont think your paying for a solicitor when the fee is as little as £400 do ya.
£400!!! F*ck me I wish they were that cheap!

I know the Estate agents are acting for the vendor but it's in the vendors best interests for them to keep me happy too if they want me to complete the sale, otherwise I'll take my money elsewere and they will have to work even harder for there money.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My legal fees are a hell of a lot higher than £400!

One of the seraches alone can cost half that, legal fees are usually around 2k these days.

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
6 Weeks..... I wish :)

1st move took 5 months from offer to getting the keys and that was with no chain at all and the place we were moving to already empty....

This move (moving house on Friday) has taken 16 weeks from offer to moving .... and that was with a great solicitor. It took over 7 weeks just to get the buildings insurance issues sorted....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts