YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Moving To Falmouth

557 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Xav 
#1 ·
Hello every1!

My dream has come true and following a job interview I am moving to cornwall in sept. Yay! My questions are as follows:

1) Whats the shore diving like around the falmouth area? i.e. thanks to the beauty of flexitime, if i sack off work for the afternoon midweek are there places nearby where i can just jump in with a buddy without having to rely on a boat charter?

2) Speaking of buddies, is there any1 in the falmouth area looking for a dive buddy from time to time that would be willing to show me all the best places to get wet? I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Xav

#2 ·
There's several shore dives avaliable in the area see south west maffia for a detailed list. I usualy use porthkerris which is just arround the corner.

as for buddy's I'm goign to be moving to Falmouth area very soon (moved missus last week so kinda need to follow soon!) or ask in the shop at PK as they usually have people asking.

Fin

#3 ·
Xav,

For shore dives you have always got Pendennis point, then the Helford river, which you can shore dive from.

Porthkerris is ok, but a 40 minute drive from Falmouth and doesn't have anything that is not available locally.

There is a group of us here that are not a club but dive a few times each week when we can. Everything from shore dives to 60m+ deep wrecks.

I live here in Falmouth, Mark (Okeanos) who is on this site lives not too far away and is always around too.

If you need any info drop me a PM.

-Neil

EDIT: There is also a local club called Aqua addicts who are a Padi club and dive alot. There is also a SAA club - Falmouth Diving Club. Might be a good way for you meet other divers.

#4 ·
Xav,

For shore dives you have always got Pendennis point, then the Helford river, which you can shore dive from.

Porthkerris is ok, but a 40 minute drive from Falmouth and doesn't have anything that is not available locally.

There is a group of us here that are not a club but dive a few times each week when we can. Everything from shore dives to 60m+ deep wrecks.

I live here in Falmouth, Mark (Okeanos) who is on this site lives not too far away and is always around too.

If you need any info drop me a PM.

-Neil

EDIT: There is also a local club called Aqua addicts who are a Padi club and dive alot. There is also a SAA club - Falmouth Diving Club. Might be a good way for you meet other divers.

Is it 40min from Falmouth? Blimey. Porthoustock has been taking us 50mins from Mitchell this weekend (just to watch and eat ice cream, mind :D) I thought that was a luxury considering the 3+ hours we used to drive. You are soooo spoilt, Neil!

#5 ·
Yep, about 40 minutes - it can take longer if you are stuck behind tourists driving at 20 miles and hour looking at the old engine houses on the Helston road, 'Oh, isn't the scenery nice, love' and all that. Or behind a tractor.

Bloody fantastic down here with the sun out this weekend though, isn't it? I haven't been out of Falmouth all weekend. Lucky me! :D

#6 ·
Hi Xav

We're always diving somewhere, Friday nights on Autumn Dream, during the summer there'll be lots of evening dives happening too. There's also a couple of locals who either have a couple of weekdays off or on 5 weeks here 5 weeks away.

See you around soon.

Reactions: Xav
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.