YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im after some opinions on living in Selby - I currently live in Hull and work in Leeds, I travel 112 miles a day round trip and we are looking at moving to somewhere approx halfway between the two place as the missus doesn't drive and will need a train station to get to Hull for work.

That way we both have half an hour travel instead of me having over an hour each journey.

We have been looking at houses in Selby but don't know anyone there to ask about the pro's and con's.

So, I'm asking for genuine opinions about living there, the good the bad and the ugly opinions - all would be welcome.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to live in goole which in my opinion was a dump, but does have train station. Howden, just 5 mins along the road was lovely, just very quiet.

Went to college in Selby while I was there so only saw it in the evenings. I'm sure it has its nice bits, but I didn't see them. Big church type place.

And as woz says, its all very very flat.

·
Can one flounce in a drysuit??
199 Posts
OK, some initial feedback from HWMBO's colleagues:

Avoid:
Hempbridge estate
Flaxley Road
Charles Street

Also a bit iffy: Abbott's Road

Recommended: Brayton - nice place, and can walk or bike into Selby from there.
Westbourne is quite nice too.

Could take a look at the new builds going up at Staynor Hall - these are only 5 minutes from the train station.

Jen

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jen,

Thanks for the info, we have had a look at houses in Brayton and the new builds on the Staynor Hall area - we have expressed an interest in part exchanging our home for a new build but we noticed that on the way to the train station we passed the abbots road which rang alarm bells as you mentioned that it could be a bit iffy.

Do you know if HWMBO colleagues know anyone on the new builds and if they get marauding gangs from abbots road causing havoc?

We dont want to spend a lot of money and move into Selby's version of the Bronx lol

Cheers Simon

OK, some initial feedback from HWMBO's colleagues:

Avoid:
Hempbridge estate
Flaxley Road
Charles Street

Also a bit iffy: Abbott's Road

Recommended: Brayton - nice place, and can walk or bike into Selby from there.
Westbourne is quite nice too.

Could take a look at the new builds going up at Staynor Hall - these are only 5 minutes from the train station.

Jen

·
Registered
135 Posts
Howden is nice, but the station is a fair treck outside Howden on an exposed road. 112miles round trip, thats local I do 184 for my office but today Im off to Aberdeen so just popped into the office on the way past

1 - 12 of 12 Posts