YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great couple of days diving this weekend with Wittering Divers. It was a UK orientation weekend for our student divers and they had a fantastic time. We had superb viz on the Mulberry and Lumpsuckers in Brack Bay.
It's the first time I've used Wittering divers since the change of management and they couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating.

We'll be booking another weekend soon.

Nick

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shame I missed you, we were in and out. Looks like the weather is pretty settled this week and a better tide next weekend so no reason why you shouldn't have the same. We must have had upto 6-7m on the Mulberry. Have a good one!

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Shame I missed you, we were in and out. Looks like the weather is pretty settled this week and a better tide next weekend so no reason why you shouldn't have the same. We must have had upto 6-7m on the Mulberry. Have a good one!
Good news, if you had that on a springs tide. The week before we figured it was closer to 2.5 - 3m so getting better.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
The decision now;

Which lens:) Arrrgghhh, never had this problem with the compact:D
I confirmed with Di that we'll run ashore between dives so you could swap lenses and ports between dives in safety. :D That way you can get it wrong on both dives ;)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I confirmed with Di that we'll run ashore between dives so you could swap lenses and ports between dives in safety. :D That way you can get it wrong on both dives ;)
Hah, I may have the solution to overcome that:D
It's called the Sigma 17-70mm macro:D

Wide angle, close up, dome port, fun;)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hah, I may have the solution to overcome that:D
It's called the Sigma 17-70mm macro:D

Wide angle, close up, dome port, fun;)
I think that the saying is "Jack of all trades, master of none.."

You need to be careful about using a lens at >35mm (ish) behind a dome port. I would also make sure that you get some diopters. Macro zooms tend not to be very macro and the minimum focus distance can also be an issue behind a dome.

I must say that I don't remember the Mulberry having that much in terms of wide angle. I thought that it was a little stuff dive. I'll turn up with the 60mm on and the 10-17 in the car. But then again, if there were a Olympic event in wrong lens selection, I'd have more gold that the Bank Of England.

Daniel

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Oooh, decisions decisions. Might just stick with 60mm, thats what I was using in the pool, so fairly happy with settings etc.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sean
Personally I think that is a better bet for the first dive at least. The mid ranged zooms (particularly in the 17-35 range) do come into their own for fish portraits. It largely depends on what type of shots you think you are after.

D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts