YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am heading out to Murcia, Spain this weekend 20-22 Apr for a bit of a recce. I am probably going to be moving there in the near future and want to find some decent places to dive. I won't have time to travel too far this weekend and was hoping to check out the La Manga area. Was just wondering if there are any companies or dive sites people have experience with - to either visit or avoid?

Cheers!

Lee

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Hi,

I am heading out to Murcia, Spain this weekend 20-22 Apr for a bit of a recce. I am probably going to be moving there in the near future and want to find some decent places to dive. I won't have time to travel too far this weekend and was hoping to check out the La Manga area. Was just wondering if there are any companies or dive sites people have experience with - to either visit or avoid?
I used these guys: Welcome - Willkommen - Bienvenido - to Deep Impact Diving Center La Manga/Cabo de Palos

Jason

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
we've dived with Kees a couple of years ago.
homepagina
He's based in Playa Flamenca, south of Murcia.

He's taken us on guided shore dives around Cabo de Palos, and the shop he uses organises RIB diving (although we've not been out with them)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dived a bit further along the coast near Calpe last May. The people at Les Basetes Dive centre were very helpful they run two ribs and are based right on the quay so you come out of the dive centre and straight into the boat. My non diving partner found the Sangria in the bar next to the centre helped her get over me deserting her to go off diving.
Doug

·
4,099 Posts
Dived a bit further along the coast near Calpe last May.
I've done both. Trust me, there's no comparison. The Islas Hormigas marine park is top class Med diving with 6 foot groupers all over the place. It's what the Med ought to be like.

If you get the choice next time, get south.

Jason

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers!

Thanks a lot for all the advice, very much appreciated. I have booked with Deep Impact so should be going out with Volker on sat morning to the Marine Park. He mentioned a 34m wreck dive so all sounds good. Will let you know how it went when I get back!

Cheers,

Lee

·
4,099 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the advice, very much appreciated. I have booked with Deep Impact so should be going out with Volker on sat morning to the Marine Park. He mentioned a 34m wreck dive so all sounds good. Will let you know how it went when I get back!
Is that one of the mine sweepers? I seem to recall they were about that depth.

One thing to watch out for is the thermocline. I went there in September and it was about 24C in the shallows and about 15C at depth.

Jason

·
Registered
78 Posts
Puerto Mazarron

It's a bit further down the coast, past Cartagena, but there are about 6 dive centres in Puerto Mazarron. I have used Sureste, Cota Cero and Rivemar and would recommend them all. Diving is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that one of the mine sweepers? I seem to recall they were about that depth.

One thing to watch out for is the thermocline. I went there in September and it was about 24C in the shallows and about 15C at depth.

Jason
No idea to be honest! I expect it will depend a lot on conditions on the day, but I have said that I am happy to take whatever recommendations Volker has on the best site for the day. If I have time I might ask for a second dive as well (But that also depends on the mood of the missus!)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts

Cheers,

Lee
It will be the Naranjito. Sitting upright at around that depth, think the sea bed is at 40m though. Great wreck, well worth it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all the advice. I went out on saturday but the weather was pretty bad so we had a to do a shore dive at a sheltered cove nearby. It was fairly shallow, (max of about 7 metres) but at least we managed to do something and it gives me a bit of an idea about the local diving. If the weekend had been purely about diving I would probably be a bit dissappointed but apart from the poor weather I had a good weekend so can't really complain!

I will be heading back out on the first weekend in May so I will hopefully get out to a better site then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts