YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting one for SWMBO (Ok its a bribe to let me go diving)

So what is an MP3 player or an IPOD?

What features should I look for?

What's a good one (and which to avoid)?

Can they all integrate with a car sterio?

How much? (both in terms of wonga, and how many dive trips)

Cheers in advance, Paul

(expert techno numpty)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
You can buy either a dedicated car kit which works through the stereo controls or the cheaper option is a fm transmitter that plugs into player and just tune your stereo into the same frequency.

Ive an ipod and think its great, however im sure some will disagree and name other brands.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I am queen of techno-numpties and couldn't cope with IPOD (which was given to me by someone who didn't want it) ...downloading - I wiped all the tunes off that it took me weeks to put on. I found it all very troublesome.

However, I now have a
Sony 8GB MW something or other walkman and it is very very simple to use and I will never fill the memory. I can download very easily, use all the functions and the battery life is excellent (unlike the IPOD which ran out after 2 hours even after I paid £50 for a new battery).

So, being very biased and being a total techno-numpty, I'd say go for a Sony. If i can use one, anyone can. I think it was about £120 but you can get them cheaper with less memory which would be sufficient for most people.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
You can buy either a dedicated car kit which works through the stereo controls or the cheaper option is a fm transmitter that plugs into player and just tune your stereo into the same frequency.

Ive an ipod and think its great, however im sure some will disagree and name other brands.
I have two. A wee two gig thing that goes in my pocket and an 80Gb ipod that acts as my main music box

I don't like running with the big ipod, it's too expensive to break or get wet and the little 2gb one only cost 40 odd notes.

The transmitters work well but it does seem to depend on the car.

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
So what is an MP3 player or an IPOD?

What's a good one (and which to avoid)?

How much? (both in terms of wonga, and how many dive trips)

(expert techno numpty)
An IPOD is a type of MP3 player

If you want the best then I would think the IPOD is the best. I have two, a 4gb IPOD 'nano' this is really neat and small. and a 30gb video IPOD.

If your allergic to apple products (which you shouldnt be ;) ) then creative do a good MP3 player called the ZEN Micro.

I would say that the apple player is very easy to use, they have sold way over 30 million IPODS now so it must be decent!!

For an IPOD your looking at around 180 quid

For a nano your looking at 100 quid

Depends on your budget.

Hope this helps

Adam

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
I own a Sandisk Sansa Amazon.co.uk: Sandisk Sansa e280 - 8Gb MP3 & Video Player: Electronics & Photo. It's a tiny little thing with 8Gb of memory extendable by adding a micro-SD card in the side. Will play video, hold pictures, and play music (obviously). It isn't designed for video and photos but can do them well but the screen is a little small IMHO.

You've also got to think how it'll be used, and how in to her music your wife is, for example,
  • For sound quality you're really having a joke if you buy someone an iPod, they even come with what must be some of the worst headphones on the market. For excellent sound quality try something like an archos mp3 player (like iPod, but better sound, build, and cheaper). The archos' even come with decent seinheiser headphones to enjoy.
  • If she's going to exercise with it then a solid state memory player is best (a flash drive) such as the sansa I have ;) I found that with a hard drive player it would lock up about 10 minutes into a run :( and was a bit too heavy to have bouncing around.

Creative do nice players too and I'm sure the Sony ones are great. Another reason for not going for some players is you're locked into certain software (i.e. iTunes, or WMP). Try and get a player where you can read it like a hard drive, it just makes sense :D

Although, I'm sure whatever you buy will be fine :)

Lloyd

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
My little one is a 2Gb version of the sansa, and the other advantage is that mine uses a AAA battery. Perfect if you spend a long time away from mains power.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Go for the IPOD, I have a 20Gb one, with thousands of songs on it, about 7 days non stop listening and it's 3/4 full, I've had it a few years and the battery was never that great, my GF has a much newer 30Gb one and the battery lasts ages. Prices have come down and I was emails the following offer from dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players the other day which was very tempting. Take a 2nd byte of the Apple - Refurbished iPods from £59.00 but only whilst stocks last!
  • Apple 2GB iPod Nano 1st generation, white/black - £59.00
  • Apple 4GB iPod Nano 2nd generation, silver - £79.00
  • Apple 30GB iPod Video in black/white - £119.00
The only thing I would change mine for is a bigger/newer IPOD, thier design, feel, OS etc is IMO the best.

In brownie point terms a 30Gb one is worth a season's free pass outs together with two serious nooky sessions when you get back.

Good luck

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
Paul, have a search through this technology forum as there's been a few posts along the same lines, including a bit of myth-busting about what ipods can/can't do, i.e. they CAN play MP3 files but they can't be loaded/unloaded without iTunes and only from the same PC.

useful stuff on this thread
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/technology/53333-music-widget.html

Vonny - sounds like you got a bad'un if your battery only lasted 2 hours.

my 60Gb ipod colour does about 18 hours of playback and a new 4gb nano does over 24 hours playback on a single charge.

FM transmitters are either ipod specific, like the itrip, or more generic ones that just plug into the headphone jack.

Car stereo success at picking up the signal probably depends most on where the transmitter is in relation to the aerial.

my car has a tape deck, which I thought was a bad thing, but means I can use a cheapo tape adapter and just plug into the headphone jack.

In terms of coolness and also variety of accessories, you can't really go wrong with an ipod, and if you present it fully loaded with all her fave music you'll earn mega brownie points!

my 60Gb ipod has about 35gb of music (7,000ish tracks/400+albums) in mp3 format, and also gets used to backup my memory cards when on a trip.

the 4gb nano takes about 1,000 tracks, and is much lighter and easily slips into a shirt pocket.

Like with some of the other posts on other threads about kit selection - what are the users needs and how are they going to use it?

if loading from a single PC, then ipods won't get sniffy and be a problem, but if you want to drag and drop stuff on/off the device from multiple PCs, then you'll struggle to do this with an ipod.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Ipods can be shared across different PCs, you just have to choose the right options in I tunes, also there are plenty of utilities around such as sharepod which allow you to upload/download from other PC's that your IPOD isn't registered to.

I've got an Itrip and love it, it also works anyweher there is a radio, not just in my car so party, BBQ etc, just set the correct frequency and away you go. Great tools.

·
Strokier than a petting zoo
899 Posts
Both my girlfriend and I have Creative MP3 players, my girlfriend also has the Ipod Nano (cos it's small girly and pink) but she says the Creative is a far better player.
From my own experience the Creative is very easy to use, easy to download to and from, can be used a portable drive for transferring files to other pc's, and is cheaper than a comparable Ipod. I guess it all depends on how much you want the apple logo ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts