YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...strap.

Ok, my birthday present (to myself :frown:) arrived this morning, it's a frog indigo wing with the harness and backplate.

I've never used a single piece harness before and was wondering, what is the best way of getting in and out of it? I've noticed that I'd have to put my leg through the leg hole before I can get into the thing, but surely that's not the way to do it every time?

Any help appreciated :) Lloyd.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
...strap.

Ok, my birthday present (to myself :frown:) arrived this morning, it's a frog indigo wing with the harness and backplate.

I've never used a single piece harness before and was wondering, what is the best way of getting in and out of it? I've noticed that I'd have to put my leg through the leg hole before I can get into the thing, but surely that's not the way to do it every time?

Any help appreciated :) Lloyd.
I suspect by 'leg hole' you mean the crotch strap? This should detach from the waist band webbing so that you just slip into the arms of the harness and then reattach the crotch strap before you buckle up the harness round your waist. I haven't seen a Frog set up before but I suspect this is what you mean.

HTH

Helen x

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Not quite....

Undo the waist band and unthread the crotch strap.

Left arm in left arm hole first, right arm in right arm hole.
Stand up
Swing your hips and catch the crotch strap.
Rethread it on the waist band
Secure the waist band.

Check out this site which has good info on how to adjust the harness.

HTH
Mal

P.S. Happy Birthday

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Crotch strap can be separated from the waist strap part.

I find the easiest way is to get below the rig with you back to it. Put your arms in just above the waist strap line and then making a Y rise up into it.

You then stand up and lean slightly forward so that the crotch strap swings forward so that you can grab it and rethread the waist strap though it.

Make sure the harness is correctly adjusted and then recheck it after a few dives as it does "stretch" a little over time.

At first it will be very stiff....but over time it will soften up a bit!

(I can't believe I just wrote the last sentance!!!!) :D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Not quite....

Undo the waist band and unthread the crotch strap.

Left arm in left arm hole first, right arm in right arm hole.
Stand up
Rethread it on the waist band
Secure the waist band.

Check out this site which has good info on how to adjust the harness.

HTH
Mal

P.S. Happy Birthday
B**ger...beat me to it! Don't you have a round of Golf to play?!!!

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Message received...

• unthread strap
  • put arms in
  • stand up

Now the clever bit...
  • thrust hips forward (preferrably to hot dive totty making "uh-uh-uh" noises, throwing arms back, and winking)
  • grab down below (hoping it's the crotch strap
  • re-thread

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out that website as well for adjustments.

This thread is getting mucky. I apologise for my part, it's a warm day and there's college girls walking past my lab window :angel: Even worse in 10 minutes the trainee dentist assistants come out in their uniforms :redface:

Cheers, Lloyd.

G

·
This thread is getting mucky. I apologise for my part, it's a warm day and there's college girls walking past my lab window :angel: Even worse in 10 minutes the trainee dentist assistants come out in their uniforms :redface:

Cheers, Lloyd.
You're terrible! Its a good job its your birthday otherwise Id say you're slowly turning into that Digger bloke :tongue:

Aimz xx

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
1. unthread crotch strap
2. remove crotch strap from backplate
3. throw crotch strap into bottom of dive bag

You don't need it. I took mine off and it's made sod all difference. The only time I use it is when I had a play with a scooter then you do need one. So I just reattached it for then. Otherwise they are a PITA.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
1. unthread crotch strap

You don't need it. I took mine off and it's made sod all difference. The only time I use it is when I had a play with a scooter then you do need one. So I just reattached it for then. Otherwise they are a PITA.
Make your mind up :D

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I've tried without a crotch strap and found it near unusable. The entire setup just will not stay stable and on the surface borderline dangerous with the wing floating above my head losing buoyancy.
With the strap though its very comfortable.

As far as harness goes, getting into ive found easier than an old style BC type harness. However dekit in water im still struggling with, i might have had the shoulder straps too tight last time round but it took me a while to get out. Week before was fine though. I may consider putting a continuous loop in if still struggling in a few weeks.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I've tried without a crotch strap and found it near unusable. The entire setup just will not stay stable and on the surface borderline dangerous with the wing floating above my head losing buoyancy.
With the strap though its very comfortable.
What you need is a Big Tummy which holds the waist strap down. If, however, you are built like Dobbo then you may indeed need a crotch strap. The answer? Eat more pies. Then again skinny Bottle Monkey doesn't use a crotch strap either and gets on perfectly fine. Frankly if you were a better fcuking diver... :D

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
What you need is a Big Tummy which holds the waist strap down.

A crotch strap is probably cheaper than a Big Tummy unless you already have one ;)

The link I posted earlier shows the waist band parallel to the ground (which is how I choose to have mine) so it's quite high up (think Simon Cowell here), meaning a crotch strap is essential.

Frankly Woz, if you weren't such a fa........:D

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I find the crotch strap stabilises the kit too - and I have a gut. Its also useful for hanging the camera off the scooter ring when not needed or putting the wreck reel on the butt D ring.

keep it. Woz is just weird.. :D

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
I find the crotch strap stabilises the kit too - and I have a gut. Its also useful for hanging the camera off the scooter ring when not needed or putting the wreck reel on the butt D ring.
Don't you find it annoying, things hanging around your legs while you're diving, or do they dangle out of the way, so to speak?

And doesn't it make getting out of the water and onto the boat a pain, or do you unclip the stuff before you attempt to clamber aboard?

I only ask because I currently clip my camera on my right hand chest D ring and my reel & dsmb (assembled) on my left hand hip D ring, behind my contents gauge, but am always open to suggestions :)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I've not had a crotch strap for a year now and haven't missed it at all. I am anorexically challenged but can't say I've notice my stomach being lifted at the surface by the waist strap;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Don't you find it annoying, things hanging around your legs while you're diving, or do they dangle out of the way, so to speak?

And doesn't it make getting out of the water and onto the boat a pain, or do you unclip the stuff before you attempt to clamber aboard?

I only ask because I currently clip my camera on my right hand chest D ring and my reel & dsmb (assembled) on my left hand hip D ring, behind my contents gauge, but am always open to suggestions :)
during the dive - no. the camera hangs below me on the scooter ring - and the wreck reel on the butt ring - if I am wearing it doesn't really get in the way - and you soon forget its there. I frog kick anyway - rather than the more traditional finning.

Before the dive - the wreck reel can be a pain - as when you sit down the cylinders can rest unevenly on it - not a problem - just reach back and push to the side.. The camera is clipped off to a chest d-ring until I am ready to jump in - then I unclip it and hold it up during entry.

After the dive the camera gets moved up to a chest dring - as the housing bangs on my p-valve nut as I walk - and I'm worried it will scratch the lense or damage the housing in some way..

So - not really - things just get moved around as I need to.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
1. unthread crotch strap

Hummm...

I was of the opinion that a crotch strap is there so the whole rig isn't tight. The harness surrounds you and holds the rig in place without ever preventing air moving round your suit or blood moving round your body. Well that's what Bill Main said. (who he? :) )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts