YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi,
I did a dive with a buddy on a bankholiday weekend, we did`nt get very deep, just wanted to get wet
, it was 6 meter max and we were down for 25 min.  The vis was zilch 2" max we used a line to keep together, I was trying to navigate I got a little anoyed with my compass just kept spinning wired.  Any way I signaled my buddy to accend to the surface got get a bearing, he said ok, ok heres the problem THIS TOOK ABOUT 10 SECONDS he bolted to the surface like a missile ( dragging me up with him) my computer was on the max accent rate, I tugged on the line to tell him Oi stop get back down ur too fast! he did not stop, when we reached the 3 meter mark I got a headache and the water and particles seemed to spin around my head, I thought s"*t, my ticker started to race I did manage to release the line ( I did not have the line tied to me just had it in my hand) and I droped back down to the bottom to sort my self out, headache went I spent one min chill out time to calm down and did a normal accent rate  back to the surface I was ok after this, my buddy did have a bloody nose after ( No I did not hit him).
Just want to know what made my head spin? I have heard of virtgo doing this but vis was nill wired.
Thanks,
Tony T

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

I'd see a doc if i were you....

Never heard of that happening at that depth...are you sure you weren't deeper?

Anyway...you may have a PFO...see this link...it's a thread just below this one on the board..."Call me bender"

http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=1897

You can also do a search for previous topics.....

I'd be careful if I were you...let us know how things go.

kinetic

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Sep. 11 2003,19:38)]I'd see a doc if i were you....

Never heard of that happening at that depth...are you sure you weren't deeper?

Anyway...you may have a PFO...see this link...it's a thread just below this one on the board..."Call me bender"

http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=1897

You can also do a search for previous topics.....

I'd be careful if I were you...let us know how things go.

kinetic
Hi kinetic,
I always keep an eye on my gages depth air time learnt that from day 1, comes as second nature now

Max depth was just 6 meters.  I was alright when I got out just had a mild headache lasted 30 min.  This was about  3 weeks ago the last bank holiday we had.  Did`nt have any problems after just lucky i guess.  I can say it was a very wierd feeling light headedness with headache and dizzy spinning feeling, Dumped air from my BC closed my eyes and droped back down the problem went away almost immediately.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

On one of my first dives, I had a rapid ascent from 10m due to underweighting and felt very dizzy at the surface.
I've also had it in water when I've had a bit of a cold from relatively small changes in depth.
Perhaps it's due to the effect of a rapid change of pressure on your ears as this is what controls your sense of balance?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Nortcliff @ Sep. 11 2003,21:23)]Perhaps it's due to the effect of a rapid change of pressure on your ears as this is what controls your sense of balance?
I'd go for that.

Sometimes I'll get dizzy at all kind of depths, simply because I get upright having been horizontal for a while... It's my belief that the ears aren't used to the surrounding pressure and thus the balance organ simply can't cope with the changes quick enough. It's just like seasickness.. only different.  

In my experience one of the main reasons for getting ill/Headache during or after a dive is dehydration.
Drink lots of water before and after every dive you do.

Kyrre

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys for info that helps

Tony

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've also had it in water when I've had a bit of a cold from relatively small changes in depth.
Perhaps it's due to the effect of a rapid change of pressure on your ears as this is what controls your sense of balance?
My conculsion is that it was a mild form of vertigo , and knowing you a little having dived with ya, i'll throw in a bit of nerves.

I'll go exactly with the Norseman on this one.

You know how many dives i do during a working week,i used to suffer a bit like what you experienced,but i put mind down to WORK PRESSURE i.e ferry has to sail in 8 minutes and i'm still in the bow thruster with a hack saw cutting a mooring line.

Poor viz with a fast ascent,not knowing how fast ya going up, triggers the mind that when you hit the surface ya gonna be bent, this causes worry with  =  a thumping head.

Andy

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hi Andy,
mild Vertigo?  possibly I have flowen a plane up to 3000 feet and had a look down below
we went up and down quiet fast didnt have any problems with vertigo or airsickness.
As to nerves, not this time
I wanted to be the 1st one in I was at 110% ready for the dive.
How fast was I going? at the bottom up to the 3 meter mark mycomputer was on the maximum safe assent rate, when i was at the 3 meter going to the  2 meter mark my computer started to show the skull and cross bones on it
lit up like a christmas tree thats when the problems started, I just said to my self s*d it and let the line go and droped to the bottom, it did freak me out a bit

I would agree with the fast pressure release in my head causing headache

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]mild Vertigo?  possibly I have flowen a plane up to 3000 feet and had a look down below  we went up and down quiet fast didnt have any problems with vertigo or airsickness.
because you had a visual reference point

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Verigo is caused by a lack of reference points - not necessarily to do with height / depth. If you were in very reduced vis with lots of particles swirling around you this can cause your brain to be fooled into thinking you are moving while your fluid in your inner ear is saying you are motionless. Very similar to travel sickness. I reckon thats what could have brought this on.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Were you skip breathing, or breathing shallow breaths instead of deep sloww ones. I read somewhere that increased CO2 in a persons system can lead to dizziness and resultant headache

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

hi heads up I see what ur saying thanks
Hi kirky no breating normaly
Tony:p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Hi,
I had the same problem today in the lake 4 meters max doing my RD course this time i did a proper accent still had a dizzy feeling but not as bad as before,  Vis was terable too, I probably didnt make a mistake before just vis and pressure releasing in my ears upsetting it all.
Tony

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

Well, a little yellow book of diving medecine turned up yesterday, and it has this to say:

Vertigo could be;
Alternobaric vertigo, AGE, CO2 tox,CO tox,Carotid sinus syndrome, DCS, narcosis, Ox tox, Pulmonary barotrauma, or shock.

The most likely seems Alternobaric vertigo;
Cause:
Uneven pressure stimulation of the balance mechanism in the ear from eustachian tube blockage or unequal middle ear pressure.
First aid:
Stop the descent/ascent,
equalise adequately,
ascend slowly.

(Ref The Diving Emergency Handbook, Lipppmann & Bugg 1993 (ed. Dr P. Wilmshurst))

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rasilon @ Sep. 14 2003,18:43)]Well, a little yellow book of diving medecine turned up yesterday, and it has this to say:

Vertigo could be;
Alternobaric vertigo, AGE, CO2 tox,CO tox,Carotid sinus syndrome, DCS, narcosis, Ox tox, Pulmonary barotrauma, or shock.

The most likely seems Alternobaric vertigo;
Cause:
Uneven pressure stimulation of the balance mechanism in the ear from eustachian tube blockage or unequal middle ear pressure.
First aid:
Stop the descent/ascent,
equalise adequately,
ascend slowly.

(Ref The Diving Emergency Handbook, Lipppmann & Bugg 1993 (ed. Dr P. Wilmshurst))
HI rasilon,
Thanks for the info il try that next time i get the same problem
Tony

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Hi,
Had a look at Alternobaric vertigo to better understand it, on the internet serch engine and came up with this link http://www.scuba-doc.com/vert.htm.

Alternobaric vertigo
Transient vertigo almost always is due to " alternobaric vertigo " due to unequal middle ear pressures during ascent with resultant unequal vestibular end-organ stimulation. Pressure differences as little as 20 mm Hg can produce this in the chamber. Approximately 15% of all divers have been shown to have experienced this type of vertigo at some time in their diving careers. (Pullen).

This same type of vertigo can be produced by unequal caloric stimulation of the eardrum, as with colder water entering the undermost ear in the prone position. An external ear partially blocked with wax can cause this inequality.

The fact that it can happen every time and is transient and not associated with other symptoms such as deafness or severe pain makes me think that it's not reverse squeeze (pain) or DCS (deafness, tinnitus, nystagmus, vomiting).

The first thing you want to do is to see a "diving aware" physician to check out your ears (canals, eardrums, hearing, Eustachian tubes). If everything checks out OK, then you must consider that alternobaric vertigo is the problem and understand that unequal clearing on ascent is the cause. Treatment is by returning to depth, if only a foot or two, continuing to clear by whatever method you use, and ascending more slowly.

Prevention is the best treatment, by assuring that your Eustachian tubes remain open. Practice of clearing several hours and minutes before descent and the careful use of decongestants can be of some help.

This sound like the very problem, i had cold water in ear, returned to depth and problem went.
Tony

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Also on the plane subject... Worked it out ages ago for medical reasons.... But in an unpressuried plane at 8,000ft it's a pressure change equivalent to 3.2 (I think ) metres......

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>It's more likely to be (IMO) cold water on one ear and not-so-cold water on the other.

I have had a spinning head diving in very cold water when the water has flushed one side of my head and not the other.

A quick shake of the head to flush both sides has always sorted it out.

Now I have a slightly tighter fitting hood.

I think even in the delightful conditions that we've had recently - 15 degrees on the Clyde - no viz but 15! that a difference in water temp on each ear could cause balance probs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Sep. 16 2003,12:22)]It's more likely to be (IMO) cold water on one ear and not-so-cold water on the other.

I have had a spinning head diving in very cold water when the water has flushed one side of my head and not the other.

A quick shake of the head to flush both sides has always sorted it out.

Now I have a slightly tighter fitting hood.

I think even in the delightful conditions that we've had recently - 15 degrees on the Clyde - no viz but 15! that a difference in water temp on each ear could cause balance probs.
Thanks Gavin,
And thanks to all for the replies,  il be putting the cold water in ear to the test, when I go to the red sea in hot water see if i have the same problem if not thats what it is, il ive a report when i come back

Tony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts