YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I seem to have managed to rack up 50 odd dives without coming across a conger. Until yesterday anyway.

Was diving on the teapot off Selsey, about 20M, 1M Viz, 8oC. Saw a porthole so in went the light cannon. ouldn't believe the size of the head that was looking back at me, nearly dropped me torch. then I realised the Viz was only about 1M so I backed up slowly.

Forgive my ignorance, but they are scary-looking sods. Are they aggressive? This one just sat there looking well-hard, but then it did have a HID pointing in its face out of virtually pitch back water

Garf

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Don't worry - enjoy congers, their not agressive, but I wouldn't wave stray fingers in front of them, their eye sight isn't that good. They have been known to wrap themselves around divers or swim under their arms/legs, but this is just because they'r poor eyes don't help much and they are curious and check by touch (not bite). This is rare, but if it happened to you, just sit back and let it do what it wants, you'r in no danger.

James

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I am "the Conger Master, twisted Conger Master!"(guess who's listening to the Prodigy). The best advice I can give is play with them gently, don't torment them. You will lose! I frequently dive a site called "Conger Ali" and it's full of them. Keep your torch beam from pointing directly into their eyes, it'll spook them, slowly put a clenched fist in, when it's at the nose, turn your hand around and tickle under the chin. They kinda like that! The disclaimer is-Be VERY wary when your fingers are open, they WILL have one off if they decide it looks tasty. I've hand fed them when they've striked at the food, believe me, all these folk that struggle to back-fin, you do figure it out pretty fuc*ing rapidly.

Eric Ritter knows Sharks, I know Congers!
Peter

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ April 12 2004,13:48)]Eric Ritter knows Sharks, I know Congers!
Peter
Ahem, wasn't he the bloke who got bitten by a bull shark.  

Seriously, Congers can be great fun as anyone who has dived Rathlin will know. Just like labradors (although I think slobradors have a more powerful fart  
)

Simon

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ April 12 2004,15:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ April 12 2004,13:48)]Eric Ritter knows Sharks, I know Congers!
Peter
Ahem, wasn't he the bloke who got bitten by a bull shark.  
I know that. He was the disclaimer that I will not be held responsible for anyones missing digits!

Peter

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Yup

We have loads off Dover, they just watch you.

I have nearly put my hand in ones mouth by mistake in poor vis before, and guess what, he was the biggest Muther i have ever seen by a long way. At least 4m long

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ April 12 2004,15:02)]Seriously, Congers can be great fun as anyone who has dived Rathlin will know.
I take it you mean the wreck in Ballycastle harbour! Superb conger family living on it and some HUGE congers in and about the inside of the wreck if you look. Was hoping to do it again last week but the weather was crap and all my diving was cancelled.  

Still, the Guinness made up for it  

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Ive seen one abroad and none in 60 or so UK dives.  Plenty of dives where others have come out saying "Did you SEE the size of the conger in that boiler..." to which i normally reply "What conger?" or in some cases "What boiler?" if it was a particulary badly navigated dive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts