YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is a little lie, my first ever dive with an x-scooter was off the pier at Burray with Hazel, but it was in 8m max and after 30 minutes i had used most of my gas purely from giggling like a 7 year old.

My first proper dive was on the Brummer, a chuffing great cruiser in 34m(ish).

Jumping in is something of an art form, with the scooter seeming to get in the way at every opportunity. On advice from Rob i let it sit there attached to my scooter ring on the descent, but as soon as the wreck came into sight i sorted out my buoyancy and headed down towards the bow. Suddenly i am aware that all is not as it should be....i have run out of wreck. Arse. I turn around and scoot back to the dark shape ahead of me. I leisurley make my way aft, narrowly avoiding several big solid things that came out of nowhere, arriving at the stern a few minutes later.

Right. I want to see how fast these things actually are, so i check my computer for the dive time already elapsed and pull on the trigger. Hauled forwards by the string harness i fly along towed behind my mini atom bomb...here is a stream of conciousness from what was going through my tiny mind.

Ooooo look, a gun....and there it goes, wheeee this is fun, oh a fish, wonder what kind, bugger, missed it - too fast. Argh bugger that would be the mast (glances over shoulder), phew, a bit close there. Hurtling along like a semi-guided missile something looms out of the green ahead of me........FUCK FUCK FUCK the bridge, the bridge! it looks about as solid as a brick wall.....gotta find a hole, up up upppppppp this is going to be tight! I wait for the bone jarring thud as my manifold is probably going to smack something.....andddddd nothing. Phew, that was bloody close, better not let Bobby from the chamber see that profile! Oooo look more fish, and bollocks ran out of wreck. :embarassed:

4 minutes from one end of the Brummer to the other :D

Other than that, i quite liked the scooter, good fun, but probably better in a buddy pair as you can laugh at eachother more. I tended to get a bit cold simply because i was sat there doing nowt, but i cant wait to get in on a battleship and try it out there.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Oooo, that sounds good. I've still gotta get my hands on one of these bad boys for a try. They sound so much fun! :)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
4 minutes? You could go through the Brummer in 4 minutes on one of those!

Ooh, now that sounds like a laugh. Get a mate to lay a line right through the Brummer or Koln etc, then see how fast you can get from one end to the other. On a scooter. Inside :)

They are really good for such a small unit. I was surprised how much my knackers hurt when me and Howie went for a play a few months back.

Digs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Helen,

I was on the boat when you jumped in with the Scooter.....and when you were in the way on the shot doing your deco:) :) :) :)

I believe "we" (Damien) have some video/photo's of you jumping in with the scooter strapped between your legs!:teeth: :teeth: ...let the jokes begin!

I'll try and get hold of the photo's and send them to you or post them...nah! you can do that!!..

ATB

Roy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helen,

I was on the boat when you jumped in with the Scooter.....and when you were in the way on the shot doing your deco:) :) :) :)

I believe "we" (Damien) have some video/photo's of you jumping in with the scooter strapped between your legs!:teeth: :teeth: ...let the jokes begin!

I'll try and get hold of the photo's and send them to you or post them...nah! you can do that!!..

ATB

Roy
Behave yourself boy! :D

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
No need to lay the line inside, Mind you I have dived the wreck a couple of times:teeth: great fun in the swim through on the scooter lucky no other divers in there :embarassed:

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
You need a line otherwise you can cheat too easily :) You need little tags so as you fly by you can grab them and scoot on past, proving you've been on the right route.

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
It also helps with that last 2m swim you have to make when the boat cannot quite levitate on top of you eh Precious (Digs)?:cat:

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
It also helps with that last 2m swim you have to make when the boat cannot quite levitate on top of you eh Precious (Digs)?:cat:
I've told you, I ain't swimmin' for no boat. They have engines, I don't :D And yes, I am the prima donna of diving, except I don't look so good.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I've had a go with an X-Scooter with Janos and Digs of Lyeness Pier. Entry was straight forward as we got lowered down on the lift rather than jumping in. Farted about on the surface first mainly running it at full speed into Digger's knackers. As a tightly knit team of 3 our plan was to stick closely together. So after 10 seconds of scootering it was like someone had shouted "HIDE" and the other 2 were no-where to be seen. So. Off for a scooter out to about 20m where I found a fcuking Ikea plate and a Stella bottle. Great. Then back to the boat which helpfully was idling so you could hear it to navigate back. Handy. Used the prop to mangle some seaweed which it was not impressed with and I had to clear it manually.

I reckon playing with one on a battleship properly would be brilliant. You have to watch your buoyancy though as you compensate with the scooter so when you stop you either bob up like a vegetarian's turd or sink like a butcher's turd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts