YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Anyone fancy a bit of fun here??
Tell us how and why your gear is better than the dir standard configuration for the diving you do, and in the conditions you do them.
For those who don't know the details of dir kit, have a look on the DIS or GUE sites-----or ask a certain good natured green vegetable!!!  

This isn't a mischievous troll
hopefully more some good natured discussion-----you strokes must have a reason for diving crazy suicide rigs

Sorry everyone, I don't know what came over me!!!

Lets have fun??

Cheers all Malcolm.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Why the hell not eh?

Ok:

1. Dive with inverted twin set because I can isolate, switch regs, shut down, etc and back to start in under 30 secs.

2. Bungeed OMS wing - because I like it!

Apart from that, my kit is set up Hogarthian style anyway because I like it and it works for me.

Oh, and I carry a knife too (as well as a line cutter and surgical shears)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hrm... well, let's see...
Weezle undersuit - because it's lovely and cool on the surface and has never let me get cold underwater yet.
Harness - DIR harnesses don't have a waist strap. They have a stomach strap. Tried it, it was fecking uncomfortable and restrictive, moved it down, don't even know it's there any more.
Fins - Don't have spring straps. Have bungee through a bit of plastic tubing. Just as effective; much, much cheaper; and has reflective material running though it as well, thus making me more visible.
Hood - not nitrogen blown neoprene. Not so ludicrously expensive, and I'm not going to any major depths..
Torch - not focus-able. It's a homebuilt I'm not THAT talented

Knife - I carry one, along with my shears..
That's all the leaps to mind right now...

EDIT: Reminded by Mark:
SMB: Two, one self-inflator; one standard self-sealing job, no Halcyon direct-feed ones..
Reel: Spool is for backup use only, main reel is large McMahon, with bolt added to stop lever moving too far..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I think we're mature enough to do this now...

AS Jay said, Inverted , because I can do shutdowns in a heartbeat, in fact I sometimes do them while pootling around and its so slick you buddy doesn't even realise you've done it.
Valve guards 'cos they're inverted and to protect pillar valves during travel (eg car crash) and from imbeciles who pich you twinset up by the manifold and because i can carry the twinset with one hand which I find far more convenient

Bungied Red OMS Batwing (check the new avatar
): the colour because I wanted something different to tekkie black and as a safety feature and to help my buddy ID me in "diver soup" situations, the brand and the bungees cos I had a really excellent NOAA instructor who impressed me with his critique, plus its standard approved NOAA kit (can't argue with the pros at that level)

c/w OMS IQ harness because I found it a better option to don/doff and wanted the warm BP covering for overseas diving
Reflective tank bands which apprently work really well in bad viz with a torch according to buddies

new bit oops forgot, bladder inflator hose under-arm and bungeed to harness, cos that way i always know exactly where it is

ND detachable suit inflator for filling dSMBs because I don't want entrapment hazards around my head

Apollo biofins 'cos they feel good and the moment I got them my AC dropped by something like 1/3 - 1/4

Steel 7l stage because the ali v steel argument doesn't cut  the mustard

think that's prety much it on the kit config - have a 2m primary hose with apeks regs, one 1st stage is a DST not a DX4 but it's been fine for several years.

Chee-az
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Neopreen Dry suit coz I love it

Slob knob: coz I am a slob and because I can shut down quicker than without one

Stages left and right because its safer, less cluttered and more comfortable. Lean left rich right you cant beat the logic

CD bungied wing and harnes, because one piece harnes design is too loose and damed dificult to put on on the rocking and roaling boat. Bungies came with the wing but I have never found a problem with them and I have been known to crawl through the odd wreck  

Knife: I carry two, you cant stab place with a set of traumer shears

Long inflator hose on the wing. Easia to swap inflation with suit if required.

No springs on fins: Mares Avanti Quatro dont come with springs

Main reg 1.5m hose on left pillar. This allowes more hose length to the back up reg alowing me to rout it under my right arm and keep it all tidy.

Canister tourch mounted on wing. Removes clutter from belt where emergancy kit is stowed.

Long hose stowed inbetween twin set tanks: It works and its one less hose wraped arround my body to get tangled somewhere

Presure gauge attached via bungy to suit inflator. I can drop my head and read my gauge no need to find it first or use my hands.

Ratchet reel : coz spools are crap below 20m and a pain above 20m

Self inflating blob: Its Safer to use and less stress than a conventional blob.

Water tight box: to keep my ***'s in

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

My rig changes every single dive, depending on the dive I'm doing, and what kit I've forgotten, is broken or can't be bothered with.
For deepish, DIR style wreck diving a rough average would be:

Independant twins: I think they're safer
Steel sidemounts: last longer, heavier, tougher
All my regs: are different: coz. they were all 2nd hand, or on offer, or got found. None o2 clean coz I don't believe in it. Some sealed, some not.
Vary my mixes in my various stages: because it's often not convenient to dump gas, refill etc.
Heliair in the twins: coz it's cheap and easy to fill, and refill, and refill....
Uncompressed, ill fitted neoprene drysuit: cheap, tough as hell, very warm and lasts for ever. (buoyancy change? so what?) And a weezle extreme +, I feel the cold
Ankle weights & jet fins: see above suit.
As many torches as are working/charged/reasonable, most on helmet.
Big homemade spool: can't work reels. They make me unhappy
Homebuilt harness, not onepiece: it's just a tradeoff between ease of donning/removal and safety really? I like to be able to get in and out fast.
Tekwing with suicide bottle: already done this bit
Big knife: just because I'm a boy, and it's very sharp and shiny but with that 'been used lots in anger look' Cool.
Kitchen devil scissors covered in axle grease: £3, nuff said.
And a random collection of straps, wraps, bungees, string, suicide clips etc. holding it all together.

It's a bit shameful now that I look at it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Maybe it would have been quicker to list the things that ARE dir?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Drake @ June 05 2003,16:47)]I've got a long hose.  
<font color='#736AFF'>bet you say that to all the girls!

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

The most non DIR bit of my diving kit is my body, which to me looks firm and athletic

But to those who have seen the light, Jabba the hut.  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And you should see the looks on the girls' faces when I wrap it round my neck!
I'd like to see the look on the girls faces when you unwrap it from around your neck and your mate sticks it in his mouth.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I reckon I can say with a fair degree of certainty that my kit's about as non-DIR as it can possibly be..

That said my OC kit's pretty DIR - but I had it rigged like that before I'd even HEARD of DIR.  If I was still diving OC, I'd be signed up for that tech 1 course by now though.

Dunno how I'd get round the ****, beer & sofa habit, mind.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I've got a long one too....  

The gear:
Twin indies - a 50Kg monster made of two 12s, 6Kg v-weight, 6Kg Tiger Gear block (thanks Andy!) and 4 Buddy cam bands.  Manifold? Maybe one day.  Inverting once the valve guard appears.
Onto this slides my Buddy Trident, including Auto and Spare Air (and no apologies for either).  Long hose + ATX50 on one tin, long-ish hose + ATX40 and Alpha7 occy on the other.  Hose friction fitted between tank and wing - no wrapping around head for me.  Trident comes with integrated cummerbund and excellent front pouch, and fully adjustable harness.
Fins - Typhon Hurricanes, cheap as chips with bungy instead of straps.  Jetfin in style, only plastic and bright yellow.
Ankle irons - bits of lead piping on strapping with quickloks and sloopy loops.
Toys - dual-line flat spool, de Montjoie drogue, sausage, trauma scissors, Gerber ("Leatherman"), Nato Suunto compass (tritium).  The bag that the wing came in makes a great goody bag.  2m John line, slate and Vyper.  Cheapo dry suit, Helly henson lifa, Ron Hills Tracksters, Thinsulate saloppettes, Buffalo shirt, woolly jumper,ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Md, I don't know how to break this to you...

But I think you might possibly be considered more of a Stroke than a DIR fanatic..

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Inverted manifolded 12's, CD valve guard, home made 14lb v weight S/Steel backplate, OMS 100lb bungeed single bladder wing with inflator hose bungeed across chest,OMS webbing kit with a large pouch "oh matron" containing shears, spare torch, compass, glucose tubes, jon line and a spare reel.
2 apex DIN regs on 6ft hoses, 1 spg, 1 hose and bag filler, shockwave torch clipped to chest, dsmb and reel clipped onto waist strap.
Otter narvic f/entry suit with 2 cargo pockets containing lift bag, spare mask, goody bag also a tool pouch for scenic dives
a pro ultra computor, bailout slate, knife strapped to leg and yellow force fins
occasionally a s/slung pony with max 80% mix, and finally a flag bungeed on the cylinders

Safe diving,
Steve.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts