YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well, my Apocalypse is complete and since it has taken 2.5 years from my life, I guess it qualifies as the latter.

Why the exuberance, why am I as giddy as a schoolgirl? Pshaw! My internal tank valve came today along with the cap for my OEM adapter.

Now I have a complete unit. Now I can dive. All I need to do is get some O2 molecules together at high pressure and I am all set :redface:

BTW, I put a picture of the OEM pod cap cover in the albums section. Like everything OSEL does, clean, elegant, functional--as an engineer it just gets me giddy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you do a write up with your opinions when you have dived it a couple of times?

Cheers
Mark
Yes...I will report over in the dives thread. Could be awhile still, so many events must converge, but the main limiter is no factor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
what tank valve did you go for - is it go through the hole in the case so you can turn it on or off during the dive. + pictures please..... for the as yet unfulfilled..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

OK, the Good: I finally have my complete "kit" from OSEL. Since diving is only one of my many avocations, and I am really trying not to be specious or egoistic here, I just must say that I have great satisfaction.

The Bad: the valve is not such that it will allow access from outside the lid. No real biggie, I have a slob knob (god I hate that term) on the way and I do not see this as a big deal.

The Ugly: So, my Nautec valve shows up and it turns out that in order for me to install it in my internal cylinder I need a special grease (Geitmo 599) made from the extremely rare element known as UNOBTAINIUM. I tried to get some from OSEL and even though the cost of this rare stuff is reasonable, shipping to the states is an incredible $129!!!! Forget that. So, I am in the process of trying to determine if the yankee friendly grease "LOX-8" will be acceptable to Nautec. The Gerry's (Is that an OK term?) are in bed right now, so I probably will not get an answer until tomorrow. OSEL, of course, has said absolutely not since only a rare and special preparation H can be used.

Oh dear, I've started to rant, I'll quit now.

Wait, sorry: the plastic "lid" bit fits into the "OEM pod" and lets you mount a sensor array in the air flow. It is ridiculously expensive. Part number? I don't recall seeing one.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Do you have the part number for that? It won't hold cells will it?
And how much.
Dave,
The clear part is the plastic housing for the OSEL monitoring pod without the overmoulding. It can be made to hold cells but it's a lot of work and there is no convenient/easy way to put a cable entry into it. so it's really only any good for a wireless solution or as a blank on the monitoring elbow if you want to use it as a pure O2 rebreather without monitoring.
If you have access to a lathe capeable of turning 90mm dia delrin and possibly a milling machine, you can turn out something far more suited to holding cells.
regards
Simon A

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Large enough...

Dave,
The clear part is the plastic housing for the OSEL monitoring pod without the overmoulding. It can be made to hold cells but it's a lot of work and there is no convenient/easy way to put a cable entry into it. so it's really only any good for a wireless solution or as a blank on the monitoring elbow if you want to use it as a pure O2 rebreather without monitoring.
Simon A
The pod is about 3" in diameter and there is more than enough room for a circuit board holding three 1" diameter cells. This is, of course, what OSEL is doing. I am in the process of designing a wireless PPO2 monitor to fit in the pod, so I will not need to bother with a cable.

The receiver for this will be an iPhone and I call the app Apocrypha, from the Greek meaning to hide something away; i.e., the cells. Look for it on the iTunes store.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
The pod is about 3" in diameter and there is more than enough room for a circuit board holding three 1" diameter cells. This is, of course, what OSEL is doing. I am in the process of designing a wireless PPO2 monitor to fit in the pod, so I will not need to bother with a cable.

The receiver for this will be an iPhone and I call the app Apocrypha, from the Greek meaning to hide something away; i.e., the cells. Look for it on the iTunes store.
AFAIK this will only work out of the water, nothing the IPOD has has will communicate underwater, both bluetooth and WIFI communicate at max distances defined in mm underwater (You'd be lucky to get an inch)
HTH
Simon A

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AFAIK this will only work out of the water, nothing the IPOD has has will communicate underwater, both bluetooth and WIFI communicate at max distances defined in mm underwater (You'd be lucky to get an inch)
HTH
Simon A
One word for you: dongle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts