YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations to location, time of year, operator? Preferably something that won't mean I end up trying to sell non-essential organs on gumtree!

Thanks for any help.

ps sharks would be nice too. oh and wrecks. yes, manta's, wrecks and sharks. that's all, but mantas first please...

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Tofo in Mozambique.

I'll tell you how good it is in a few weeks;)

And they have whale sharks. Not too many wrecks though

·
Registered
399 Posts
Reethi Beach - BAA Atoll in the Maldives. June - September.

Lots of Mantas (we saw them on most dive sites)
And at Hanifaru (a local dive site) you are probably likely to see more mantas here than anywhere else on the planet on a spring tide.

Add to that the fact that there are whalesharks there also and you are laughing.

Not sure about wrecks - they are for trainspotters as far as im concerned ;-)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
An idea about budget would help as well:)
Pure diving holiday, or a few dives whilst on holiday?
Land based/Liveaboard

Socorro is meant to be good, but it's pricey, and at the moment I believe the main island is closed, due to 'military manoeuvres', or some other nonsense.
You do get them in Thailand, but not vast numbers. They have sharks and wrecks as well. Although mostly Leopard sharks, plus a few whale sharks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Budget? comfortable with about £1,500 incl. flights. Cheaper the better, the more shiny things I can buy for my 7D housing...

If it's a far flung exotic place - Maldives for example, then my personal preference would be 10day min with 7 on liveaboard (Whilst I'm diving centric, I don't see the point of going so far and not taking in at least some of the local land based interests). My preferences, purely for land based reasons will generally be Africa as long as it's half as good as anywhere else!

I was looking at Tofo last week as there is Manta Research going on there so I guess there has to be enough of the buggers to count on one hand at least. Would be very interested to know your experience.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'd recommend Yap but £1500 won't get you there for long. Yap Divers run an excellent operation and we saw plenty of Mantas - to the point where we became a bit blase and chose to do some of the outer reefs instead.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I was looking at Tofo last week as there is Manta Research going on there so I guess there has to be enough of the buggers to count on one hand at least. Would be very interested to know your experience.
Yep, Manta & Whale Shark Research Centre, run by Dr. Andrea Marshall. The place was featured on TV recently. Full length program about the work she is doing.

There will of course be an in-depth trip report, hopefully with stunning piccies.

Haing said that, there ae times when no mantas show up:( for a few days at a time

We are doing 3 weeks, and it is coming in around £2.2k
That includes;
  • Flights to Joburg
  • Car Hire
  • 10 dives
  • 3 or 4 ocean safaris
  • 12 nights accom. in tofo
  • 8 nights accom. in Kruger national park
  • 5 or 6 Game drives/walks (most of kruger is self drive)

·
warm-water, single-tank, fish 'n flowers cobblers
223 Posts
If you were thinking of the Maldives I can recomend Sea Spirit/Sea Queen with maldive scuba tours (scubascuba.com). Don't expect a flashy Red Sea type boat, but a more traditional boat with a seperate dive dhoni. I have been a couple of tmes in Sept/Oct and there were more mantas than you could shake a long hose at !!

A few pictures below
2dive4 Gallery

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any recommendations to location, time of year, operator? Preferably something that won't mean I end up trying to sell non-essential organs on gumtree!

Thanks for any help.

ps sharks would be nice too. oh and wrecks. yes, manta's, wrecks and sharks. that's all, but mantas first please...
We are organising a trip to BAA Atoll with shaft trip will be from 2 of August to 9 August on a Liveaboard full board three dives a day one night dive mostly diving around Hanifaru we need approximately 14 people have nine people so far I think.
if you contact shaft on here he is organising a and he will be offering it to people from YD Hope this helps I think it can cost approximately
$1700 plus your flight collates to around £2000 I think this is just estimation not actual

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Biyadoo (Maldives) is lovely. I have been twice and saw loads of mantas both trips. I am going again in June for 3 weeks. Its great value, £1200 A/I including cocktails!! I'll probably spend another £500 for the diving which will be about 20 -30 dives, depending on what combination of shore and boat diving I do.

It is a basic island, no swimming pool (thank God!), but beautiful and the staff are wonderful. Have not seen many sharks, although others have seen loads. I don't like fast currents so stick to snorkelling with the baby sharks by the jetty (they are sooo cute!)

Good luck with wherever you go.:)

·
Registered
526 Posts

Thanks for any help.

ear is a link to the trip we are trying to go to this is what hopefully we may see when we go there I believe shaft and video this look and enjoy
YouTube - Hanifaru Teaser

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Duffy
If it's Mantas you want then like another poster check out the Maldives; we've been going for the last 10yrs and this yr will be our 4th visit with Maldives Scuba Tours - check out their website and look at guest comments/trip reports.

Last yrs trip we went back to Hani Faru and did a dive with 65+ Manta's who put on a show stopping performance for a full 70 minutes and then along came a 8m big spotty thing...Whale Shark. On 2008 visit we did the same site and had 50+ Mantas and then snorkelling we had not 1...not 2...not 3....but 5 Whale Sharks for 2.5hrs......mindblowing...awsome and this was on day 2 of the holiday!

Maldives Scuba Tours (MST) have over 15yrs experience in the Maldives and the team on Sea Queen - Lisa & Dave / Sea Spirit Tracy & David and crew really do go the extra mile to ensure guest's have a fantastic diving experience in the Maldives...and Dave on SQ goes one further by gettin the guitar out so everyone can kick back and chill.

It's not a cheap destination but it's worth every penny - MST don't have a set route; they basically go where all the action is and they're damn good at finding the 'little critters' as well as the 'big boys'

Hope my 2p worth is helpful...
Safe & Happy Diving
Vicky

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK that's a good recommendation - my girlfriend sent me an email from them as she'd contact them today about prices and availability - good to know they are strongly recommended! Thanks!

londonsean69;1421218 We are doing 3 weeks said:
[*]Flights to Joburg
[*]Car Hire
[*]10 dives
[*]3 or 4 ocean safaris
[*]12 nights accom. in tofo
[*]8 nights accom. in Kruger national park
[*]5 or 6 Game drives/walks (most of kruger is self drive)
[/LIST]
My father and grandfather were based heavily in Kenya and so I have an affinity for East Africa - this sounds like a nice little trip - would be very interested in how you get on!

Looks like it's going to be Africa and Maldives - just which this year and which next year!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bali, Bali, Bali....but I'm biased. We have Manta, Mola Mola, shark, AND wrecks (USAT Liberty at Tulamben), the Japanese wreck at Amed etc etc

Drop me a PM for a quote :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
As Divekent says - the manta and whale shark trip organised by Shaff should be awesome. It's a special itinerary on the Atoll Cruiser, purely to go to Hanifaru, Baa Atoll and surrounding sites. I may also be going, if I can. He's deliberately booked that week as it's in the middle of the manta and whale shark season. He's been going there for the last few years after he discovered the site and showed it to others via videos on Youtube and the Aqua Dreams Imaging Site (see Divekent's links). You couldn't be in better hands if you want to go to Hanifaru, or in fact to any site in the Maldives full stop.
He'll be putting up details of the trip on YD soon if anyone wants to join, or you could pm him - I would think it will be a very popular trip and there are only 18 spaces max on the trip.

Sarah

1 - 20 of 24 Posts