YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I put a web-site together so that when a magazine editor phoned and asked for an underwater picture (anything will do!) I could let them see a selection so they could learn it was not all the same down there.

Like most web-sites, few people have seen it. It is merely a collection of typical shots taken in different places and is desparately due for updating. (Yes John Gulliver, I have got a lot of pics for the Sea of Cortez - see next months Diver Mag!).

However, should you be so interested to see a few more of someone else's snaps, the URL is www.johnbantin.co.uk

All the best etc,

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Lovely photos shipmate!

Do you sell them per chance? I would be very keen to buy a couple from you if you do. (Would make superb wallpapers also!)

All the best,

Ian

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

WOW

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I look forward to seeing your images from the Sea of Cortez, John. I've much admired your website, as have lots of my u/w photographer friends.

·
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Do you really think I should sell prints of any of them? When you say "lovely wallpaper", I was thinking more in the way of fish & chip paper! I would have to look at the economics of doing it. Naturally, the price for commercial use is very different from personal use.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Pretty pretty. I for one enjoyed the snorkelling pictures particularly.

Larger pictures would be nice, though. At least a couple of examples (to grab and put up as backgrounds ;))

Kyrre

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

There are some very very nice pictures there John - the rest are just very nice

Tell me tho, why no photo's from UK waters?  Assuming that you can get time to dive in the briney 'round Blighty.

What equipment are you using?  Have you been bitten by the Digital bug yet?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Great pic's John!

I must admit I am rather green with envy as I don't imagine I'll ever get pic's half as good....but I am having immense fun trying!!!!

I would also be interested in a couple of prints if you decide to sell any of them!!!

Also, interested to know what kit you use....

Scubachick

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JJJBBB @ May 04 2004,15:33)]Do you really think I should sell prints of any of them? When you say "lovely wallpaper", I was thinking more in the way of fish & chip paper! I would have to look at the economics of doing it. Naturally, the price for commercial use is very different from personal use.
<font color='#000080'>Absolutely John, you have some absolute crackers there. The online photo developing agencies offer superb value in my opinion in the various formats. Even if you didn't want to profit out of this you could mayber offer larger images for wallpapers for a "donation"? If you do decide to sell, baggsy first!

All the best,

Ian

·
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

What kit do I use?
I keep it simple. Currently I use a Nikon F90 set to aperture priority auto and 100ISO film behind a very lasrge dome port for excellent sharpness and colour saturation. I rarely shoot macro because everyone else does. I use two strobes at the end of long arms.
I am a bit of a dinosaur - I still prefer to shoot on transparency film and get it right. I scan with a Flextite or Nikonscan 4000ED.
I have a posh digital camera which takes all my Nikon lenses. I use this for product shots for Diver Mag but I cannot be bothered with the hassle of a lap-top on trips. It's just another bit of kit to carry. I also prefer the look of film. I dunno what it is. Maybe its the 'filmic' quality.
However I have just done a review of nine digital cameras and housings under £500. It seems dead easy to get results with these so I recommend anyone new to underwater photography to take that route. I also used two cheap film cameras, shot on negative film and scanned the negs directly. Its a third way to go - and it works well.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JJJBBB @ May 04 2004,19:33)]I also used two cheap film cameras, shot on negative film and scanned the negs directly. Its a third way to go - and it works well.
So does using negative film and having the lab put the pics on a CD. It's cheap -I pay 89 Swedish kronor, about £6.50, for developing a roll of 36 and putting them on a CD - and it saves the need to scan. The lab's scanner is also probably better than mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts