YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Nanaimo, Vancouver Island

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Simon Lamb 
#1 ·
Got cheap flights out to from Manchester to Vancouver in October for £263 return. Intend to hire a car, go over on the ferry to the island and dive out of Nanaimo for a week. We're expecting similar conditions to the UK, so a drysuit is a must.

Anybody got anything interesting to report about the area/diving/operators?

All information welcome thanks.

Tim Saville

#2 ·
Have a look at my blog for a write-up I did a while back. Diving there is fab, but I would stretch it up a bit further north, around Quadra Island, or even further to God's Pocket which is reputed to be the best diving (as John Gulliver will no doubt tell you ;))

Conditions are like a UK that has been on Pacific steroids. Big...big...big.....that goes for the life and the currents.

Can't believe you got such cheap flights. the cheapest we could get a few years ago were almost twice that amount. Must go back :D

#3 ·
I don't know exactly where they are in relation to anything, but a guy i used to dive with went back to BC to open up his own centre - Langley Diving - i will try & find a url or something.

Anyway, top bloke - best DM i ever had and is in my top 5 buddies list.

#6 ·
Depends. A few hours really. Got to get a ferry from either just on the south side of the city to the soutern tip of the island (worth doing for the stunning scenery as this massive ferry squeezes between islands) or from just north of the city to a point about 1/3-1/2 way up the island. Very much weekendable, I'd say.

#8 ·
Only just saw this thread as I haven't logged onto the site for several days owing to family reasons. Anyway, as Lou said, you need to travel a few miles further than Nanaimo for really good diving. God's Pocket Resort, on Hurst Isle, close to Port Hardy, is excellent but is fairly expensive unless you're in a group big enough to book the whole dive centre. Dynamike Diving, on Quadra Island, just off Campbell River, about half way up Vancouver Island, costs less to get to and is about half the price and offers good diving, decent accommodation and excellent food. Another good place is Cedar Beach Lodge, on Thetis Island, south of Nanaimo. http://www.cedar-beach.com/property.shtml
Whatever you choose, you'll have a fabulous holiday.

#10 ·
Thanks John
I've more or less committed myself to Nanaimo now, I've booked into the Buccaneer Inn with its deluxe seaview apartment with log fire. I'll probably dive the local wrecks (Saskatchewen & Breton) and reefs. However I do have friends in Campbell River, and I went out on a fishing/skiing trip there about 5 years ago. So I'll probably save that one for next year. I've fished off Quadra Island and the one thing that struck me was found fast the current was. It was fair ripping through the strait.
Looking forward to it even more now.
Cheers ...... Tim Saville

#13 ·
Hello Si
We've booked into the Buccaneer Inn in their deluxe log fire room, but haven't booked any diving yet. Can you recommend a good dive operation out of Nanaimo that's not likely to treat us like numpties? Maybe looking at using twinsets for the deeper dives, and perhaps stage bottles for accelerated deco if we're going to be doing 40m on the Saskachewen (spelling?). Or am I being too cautious? Want to avoid being forced into diving it on a single 12.

Any information would be helpful. timsaville@btinternet.com

Cheers

Tim

#14 ·
Tim, I'll post my 'email' here, cause I've had a couple of PMs about same...

I dont club dive in Canada so i'm reluctant to 'recommend' any operation, but try visiting Scubaboard, the N American YD equivalant (but not as good!)... the western canada board is here....

ScubaBoard - Western Canada

Also get Carl Trepaniers book, Vancouver Area Diving Guide. A bible in these parts.

They're a good wholesome bunch, Canadians. My tip would be to tell them straight up about your UK waters experience, as the initial assumption is that everyone from 'Europe' dives in warm clear bathtubs and they look all pleasantly suprised when you turn up with a drysuit and so on.

There is a strong technical influence here, lots of twin (although they call them doubles) & stage stuff, so you wont be out of place asking for that kind of diving.

I'll call Brent at my lds later and see if they can do some recommending...

Just as a matter of interest, lots of visiting divers go straight to the Island. It's worth considering a couple of days diving the mainland. Vancouver Island is a bit, urm, sleepy? sometimes, so maybe give downtown Vancouver a try and dive in the Howe Sound for a couple of days. Combine some nightlife Downtown and great shore diving.

You could also, if the timings right, do some snowboarding and skiing on the local mountains which are hosting the 2010 winter olympic events (world class mountains). What could go wrong? Top quality snow, top quality diving, and top quality nightlife all within a 30 minute drive of each other!

You're coming at a great time. The water will be cold, the snowmelt will have finished (no more silt), and the mountains may be white......

I hate living here.

Hope that helps, gimme a shout for more.

Si

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.