YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wohoo!
Thanks to the gentleman at [email protected] I have had a chance to dive a Prototype [email protected] POD on my Apocalypse whilst waiting for the production item to complete testing.
It's a very neat pod with lots of really nice construction details that will become apparent when the production pods start getting delivered.

Here are a couple of (not very good) shots of it fitted to the rebreather.

Rigged ready to go.

The cable routing that worked best for me:-

I only managed 2 cheeky shore dives when I was down in Cornwall (thanks to the people at Porthkerris Divers), And I only got to the dizzy depths of 10m or so. But it was great to dive as a CCR.
I may also be diving at Wraysbury this Wed evening (29th June) as well.

A couple of notes:-
This is a prototype and may not be the same as the production item.
If you are planning on using a secondary PPO2 monitor with the POD, due to the isolation circuitry it only supports high impedance secondary PPO2 monitors/computers.
There is no release date announced, it's dependent upon completion of testing (AFAIK ANSTI testing and others).
Simon A

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wohoo!
Thanks to the gentleman at [email protected] I have had a chance to dive a Prototype [email protected] POD on my Apocalypse whilst waiting for the production item to complete testing.
It's a very neat pod with lots of really nice construction details that will become apparent when the production pods start getting delivered.

Simon A
...and so it begins, finally!

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
I have to pick my 4ltr bottles up from 02 clean today, fit my metalsub brackets this week, Martin at Tecme tells me the fischer cable is now in stock and he is expecting cells mid way through this week...he will then assemble the pod and ship to me. (sorry Brent/John....I just couldnt wait!!).

The iCCR 02 internal bottle is now nicely installed as suit inflate temporarily, just waiting for OSEL to send another valve so I can remove the adapter (Fair play to them....it was their suggestion).

Gotta buy a shearwater then I'm good to hit the water....hopefully around the first week of July.:spliff:.....Happy dayz!!

·
562 Posts
Was there a particular size that you bought? Also, where did you get them?
The Metasub brackets are standard APD units I think......they come in two types case/bottle and bottle/bottle...these are case to bottle units......using the flat 'Osel wing fixing' nuts these should fit a treat and not encroach on the counterlungs....perhaps a bit of resin on the exposed boltheads would be nice.....I have seen piccies of these QD brackets used to hold 7ltrs....a bit OTT for me!!.....they seem plentifull on ebay!!

I have just tried the 4ltr steels in place of the standard OSEL 3ltr ally's and I think this is the path for me, and in all fairness the side rails seem to support these rigidly with ease....so I may rethink the metalsub plan.

Note the height of the bottles compared with the ally 3's....I reckon this will not only give an extra litre of gas, but should help to eliminate the need for the 4kilo trim weight at the top....gimme gas over lead anyday!!

Attachments

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you'll still need some trim weight with the steel 4's but it should take a reasonable amount off the lead you have to carry.
Simon A

·
562 Posts
I think you'll still need some trim weight with the steel 4's but it should take a reasonable amount off the lead you have to carry.
Simon A
I hope so Simon, 'cos I am lucky and dont normally carry any (mind you the units were heavier)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts