YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Here's what i've found out so far:
The ferry from Newcastle to Gothenburg takes 24 hours and costs about £130 return in the cheapest cabin from 1st April to 18th June (more in the peak holiday period). The  train fare from Gothenburg to Narvik  is approx. £105 return couchette (6 people per compartment), £135 sleeper (3 per compartment). Add the cost of food eaten during the two days on the ferry and train and diving and accommodation and the trip is starting to look expensive. I don’t know how much the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen costs* but still suspect it would be much cheaper to come that way and drive up from there. It's a long drive but the scenery is magnificent and you could break the journey and stop overnight on the way – there are plenty of cheap camping cabins to rent all over Norway (cost about £10 per person per night). It would also save a lot of lugging of heavy gear from the ferry to a taxi, taxi to station and station to train.
An alternative would be to use Ryanair's cheap flight from Stansted to Oslo and fly up to Narvik from there. You can do Stansted-Oslo for  as littles as £55 return, including all taxes and charges, if you book early enough, but watch our for excess bagage charges: Ryanair’s limit is 15 kilos free. Excess bagage £4 per kilo, I believe.  In fact, it might well work out much cheaper, especially as it would eliminate the cost of the overnight stop and meals on the ferry and during the road journey. However, that would only work if you could arrange hire of cylinders and weights for the whole group, Kyrre. Depending on what you could arrange, it might mean that people had to dive with different cylinders than they use at home. Twinsets might not be available from the local diveshops, for example.

* I’ll leave it to someone in the UK to check the price of the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen and to Kyrre to check the cost of flying from Oslo to Narvik. Over to you, folks! I would probably fly from Gothenburg to Oslo and then fly to Narvik with the UK people, assuming they decided to fly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A few things off my head:

- Accomodation: We paid 160 NOK (£12-13) a bunk in a nice  Hostel bang smack in the middle of Narvik. Very nice place, lockable wet-room. Apart from that you've got the different camping sites in the area, with cabins as John said.

- Dive shops: Not in abundance. When it comes to tank rental I'd say your best bet is 15/200. It's quite common with 10/300 nowadays. Twin tanks? I think not, but there are a few companies that do these things in Narvik. I'd have to check it up. Weights shouldn't be much trouble.

- Taking stuff: I know many do this, but the laws here are very strict, and recently a local diver was tried for "stealing" stuff from the wrecks.
The diving in Narvik is restricted, and you therefore need a permit to do so. A diving group is monitored closely when coming back up in the boats (really) and this summer a British group was stopped in Bergen (!) because of stuff they'd taken from Herman Künne.
Our diveclubs tend to follow the rules, at least when diving organised, since not obeying the rules will impose further restrictions on our diving. And we don't want that...
So it's "look no touch" only. But I'm sure that's how you do your diving anyway  

- Getting around in the area is not very doable without a car. Public transport?  

- Once you're here there's a lot more than just wrecks. We have some fantastic drift dives, some fantastic current-dives (Get sucked in and spat out at 6-8 knots) and some very very nice cosy scenic dives. All within an easy reach. A friend of mine came up from Oslo this weekend. We were in the water for a buddy-up-check 50 minutes after he landed. He was amazed at the life and the viz. Which was 20 meters minimum. No kidding.
Did I mention you can snorkle with Orcas? Well you can if you come late October... That's my plan this autumn at least.

- There's lots to see above water too:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

My travel agent contact informs me you can fly Oslo-Narvik with Norwegian Air Shuttle for £80 return. So, London to Narvik via Oslo for £135 return (plus any excess bagage charges).

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Re cylinder rental, I see from their website that Narvik Dyk & Äventyr (a Swedish-owned dive centre) charge 350 NOK (approx. £29.50) per week for a 15L x 200bar cylinder. That sounds very reasonable to me, or do you have a cheaper source, Kyrre?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>That sounds like a good deal indeed. Can't imagine you'll get it any cheaper, unless you actuallly rent a full kit. You sure that's not in conjecture with them arranging the dives as well?

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Quite possibly. But perhaps they would be willing to rent out cylinders at that price if we filled them there. Anyway, it's probably worth shopping around.
In any event, unless somebody in the UK undertakes to involve themselves and organise the trip, the whole project is likely to fizzle out. If you decide to fly and want the best fares, you'll need to book the flights during the autumn if you want to go next spring. Kyrre has offered to help arrange things at the Norwegian end (accommodation and diving and, if necessary, rental of cylinders and weights) and I can't do much from Sweden, so, over to those of you in the UK that are interested!

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Is it possible to drive from Stockholm to Narvick? My wife and I are considering going to stockholm, no date is set but if it is the summer I may consider driving up and then head to the UK before going back down (to Portugal that is). It would be one hell of a trip but a great one!

What is the price of diesel overthere?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Yes, you could drive from Stockholm to Kiruna, in the far north of Sweden. From there it is a fairly easy drive through the mountain pass to Narvik. I would guess it would take about 3-4 hrs. It's a hell of a long way altogether, though. Diesel is about SEK 7.85 per litre just now in Sweden but the government announced today that it had reached agreement with its partners (greens and communists!!!) on the autumn budget, under which the tax on diesel will be increased by 10 öre. SEK 7.95 is about 60p.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The trip from Kiruna to Narvik is about 3 hours. Stockholm - Kiruna would be something like 14 hours?

Like John said... I can imagine things do fizzle out with warmer waters and better "dive packages" down t'south... but the offer still stands. Whoever would want to come on over I'd be more than happy to help arrange quite a bit.. as long as I get to tag along as a guide and buddy.
Let me add that it does not only go for groups. You want to leave your buddies behind and come on up I'm sure we'll find someone that'd be happy to go diving with ya.. when I'm at work.

Kyrre

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

Sounds amazing would love to go just that old prob of no money and no time off. Might see me round there next year though.:(

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I am drooling at the prospect......I would be well up for a group trip there, might even be tempted into sorting one out, but at the moment I am stressing over closer tripsw so it will have to wait until next year.

It has definately hit my top 5 places to visit list though.

Lou

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

What's the situation with diving these wrecks? just been doing a little looking and some sites say that permission is needed (and takes years) others make no mention of diving restrictions other than look don't touch as are war graves.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

C'mon, Lou, go for it! You know you'll already be thinking about where to go for your next trip as soon as you get back from Vancouver Island.
It doesn't look as though anyone else is going to volunteer to organise a trip, so if you want to go ......

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Sep. 14 2003,18:56)]What's the situation with diving these wrecks? just been doing a little looking and some sites say that permission is needed (and takes years) others make no mention of diving restrictions other than look don't touch as are war graves.
The ones that are designated war graves are definitely out of bounds. You do need permission to dive the others but the dive centres and charter skippers arrange that. Kyrre will know more about that, though.
Here's a nice link: http://www.immersed.com/Articles/narvik__norway.htm

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Permissions are easy to get. It's all a matter of keeping control over who's there at what times... since it's in a very busy port with huge ships filled with iron ore from Sweden passing right next the wrecks.

About 10.000 dives are done annually in and around Narvik. Lots of Swedes. Lots of Finns. A few brits.

Kyrre

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre

It isn`t the cost of the journey and diving that frightens me, it`s the cost of sustaining myself in Norway. I`ve just had a friend come back from a cruise around Bergen. Beer was the quivelant of about £4.50 a bottle and he was frightenened to tell me the cost of eating out. How much a day would we be paying for a light breakfast, sandwiches at lunchtime and an evening meal, all of which we would have to buy ?

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Okay, I've looked at these threads and Kyrre's STUNNING photos and am seriously interested. I was hoping to have a chat with John about this at St Abbs this week but had to pass on that trip.

Looking at the logistical aspects, this seems to be more of an expedition than a bog standard holiday trip! Any transport other than flight seems to be very expensive and very time consuming, but of course flying would mean the need to hire kit at the other end. While this may be possible, perhaps not preferable.

So, thinking along "expedition" lines, how about getting a team together and getting a couple of volunteer members to transport all our kit overland/by ferry and the rest of the team fly? This way we could also bring our own provisions and get around the problem of expensive food and drink. I presume we could arrange self catering accomodation nearby? Do we have access to a RHIB that we could take along?

With all costs shared evenly amongst the team this may prove reasonably cost effective.

Any comments?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well it all depends on your lodge. You can easily go the cheap way and use the kitchen facility at your lodge (The one I have in mind at £15 a night) and then you'll get away with not so much money spent...

Different prices at todays rate of NOK 100,- = £8.50 (or £1 = NOK12,-)
Breakfast: In a hotel - £5-6
Sandwich (Few sandwiches around, more like a sub): £3
200 gram Burger (half pound): £6 (With chips: £8-9-10)
No Burger King or McDonalds available.
Restaurant prices:
OK meal in fancy but not pricey cafe, with coke: £9-12
Proper meal in okay but not expensive restaurant, with coke: £20.
Beers in pub: £4 for 0.4 litre.

Shop prices:
Beer: 0.5 litre can - £2.10
Loaf of Bread: £1.30. And that's not your crap toast-bread  

Milk, 1 litre: £0.90

Say you bring a bit of your own fluids for late night consumption and your stay might not be as expensive as you think...

Kyrre

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

have to say that at those prices (drink more than food), I does seem like a couple of transits with kit and beer need to be factored in I agree,

I think the cheapest flights are with the norwegian version of easyjet all the way (not ryanair as they fly to the "other" oslo airport). not to easy to check schedules though as that part of the website doesn't come in english. Also difficult to find out but may influence things is, is thier luggage allowance 20 or 15 like Ryanair? At a push I can do 20kg including dive kit (less tanks and lead) with a couple of heavy hand luggage for a week and then duty free gin for the week.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mary, I don't think you'd need the duty free gin - looking at the viz in Kyrre's pics the sea is made of it!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts