YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has anyone any views on Narkedat 60's modular wing system...??? I'm seeking views on this please.

Having done some straight forward cavern dives over the years, I now want to formalise and I'm doing cavern and cave courses but my kit needs adjusting as I progress. This will be my first wing so I really would appreciate pointers...really from anyone who has tried this one.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

i use a nas modular  system and love it, it is the first wing i've ever used so cannot compare with any others out there though, but it is far better than my old BCD.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Had a quick look.  Well ok it is a modular wing system but then so is just about any wing, harness, backplate setup.

It looks fairly well put together but it does not come cheap.

I am also interested to know how the system copes with singles.  Although it comes with a STA,  the wing seems quite large for diving singles.

When I got my wing,  I went for a transpac 2 and trekwing.  Not the cheapest way of doing things,  but easy and minimum work on my part.  I have now decided that as I want to look at twins I am going to put together my own harness/wing setup.  

Backplate £40 ish
Webbing £20 ??
Recwing or Classic wing £150
Assorted D rings, buckles etc...  £20

Total cost £230 (£250 Tops)

So it can be done a lot cheaper,  depends on how much you want to put into it.

Daz

(Fortunatly the transpac/trekwing will still find a use as my holiday setup - nice and light  
)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ooops almost forgot, many opinions will be coming your way no doubt (as I have demonstrated).  

But if you are looking for a setup for cave diving I believe we have someone who is very qualified to advise and share information on the setup he uses and why his is configured as it is.

Cue Bob Cooper...

Daz

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ April 15 2003,21:19)]Has anyone any views on Narkedat 60's modular wing system...??? I'm seeking views on this please.
Hi,

I had a look at that wing at LIDS and I have to say that I was not impressed. It seems to be a copy of the DiveRite Classic wing. 70lb of lift seems a little excessive. The system looks like a cross between DiveRite and CD with a bit of OMS thrown in.

If you are going to spend that kind of money you would be mad not to buy a Halcyon Explorer wing/harness/backplate system as it is superior kit and would also be a fair bit cheaper. http://www.halcyon.net/

Mark

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

I have used th Nas wing for the past year and can't fault it.

Ali

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Is it? I always try and go for the right wing for the job. Which up to now has been a TekWing. Works great for twins and singles. I've seen people with vastly oversized wings flapping in the breeze when diving singles, and even on twin 7s.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I wouldn't mind flapping in the breeze
. Maybe i only want one bladder to do all of my diving in so that i'm used to my kit, One lot of kit just different cylinders.  Or is it just be me.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Fair enough. Lots of people do keep the same wing for everything, and I can see the advantages, but it can cause a whole lot of tank wrap. Depends if you're bungeed, and whether that's a problem for you, I suppose. I personally don't like it, and used to use a BCD for singles and a wing for twins as a result. Now the TekWing doe both really well, IMO.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I am bungeed, plus having a pony on one side and battery case on the other side even it up, i might have tank wrap for all i know. Next time i'm in i'll ask my mate to check.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Kinetic

Regarding wings for cave diving.........I wouldn't be too keen on buying anything from an outfit called "narced at 60".  Although to be fair I haven't seen their "modular wing system".  I'd agree with a previous poster and recomend a Halcyon explorer 40lb or 55lb wing for use with doubles.  70lb of lift is way too much.  Don't try to use one of these with a single tank though.  For that you neeed a wing specifically designed for single tank use.  If your cave diving aspirations are more towards UK sump diving then that really is a different matter and I can't really offer any advice in that department.

There are other suitable wings for use with doubles.  DR classic for example.  I've also got a DR rec-wing which I'm really keen on.  I have modified it somewhat, but it's still a nice little wing.

If you want to try a 55lb Halcyon explorer wing, I have one you can borrow.  I only use it for cave diving trips to Florida, preferring my 40lb wing for UK wreck diving.

Let us know how the cavern/cave diving training goes.

Bob

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

NAS as I seem to recall, use a Zegle(?) wing, (and very simular to if not the same) a OMS single tank adaptor, a rebadge of some-one elses DSMB and nothing of their own.
Looking in a positive vein your getting the best of every manufacturers kit.
On the negative, your buying nothing new which isn't already available and being told it's made better (and at what extra cost)
But hey, there are apparently only three major manufacturers of dive kit who make stuff for us all (at various costs dependant on the badge).
So nothings new.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Thanks all...well I've done my research and asked my questions and listened to pointers...everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts are..ok if it's too much at 70lb you don't have to use it but it's there if you need it. Bungees could be an idea...I'll look at that but the advice I did receive was to attach individual loops rather than a continuous snake so if it gets caught and breaks you won't get snarled in it...sounds sensible.

Best regards to all...kinetic

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Bob,

Thanks so much for the advice and comments. I really appreciate the offer of the loan of the 55...but I live in Luxembourg so i can't pop over to borrow it but I wish I could.

I've had only good advice on the nas...(narked at 60) but I take the point about the name. As Andy did mention it's a zeagle and as he said...nothing new. Interchange with a 55 or 40 wing is possible...its a mod system so I'll see how i get on.

I have every intention of using this wing for everything...even poncing around on the surface so I'll let you know how it goes. I'll set up bungees if I need to but that means my DIY skilss might have to come into play and that could be bad news (according to her indoors).

Any cofurther advice always welcome- I'm on the learning curve thing.

Best regards.
G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts