YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Having taken up diving, I am now forced to think about life insurance. I am married and need to think about my wife god forbid anything should happen to me.

Has anyone got any advice on who to deal with to arrange life insurance that would cover a recreational diver diving solely in the UK, how much I should be paying etc?

Any advice gratefully received

Gareth

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

First thing to do is to check with your existing home/life assurance insurers. You may well be covered already or, if not, find out how much from them. I would do that before even thinking about other insurance companies.

Under my existing home & contents policy I found that my dive kit was insured - even if I had to ditch it in an emergency (I got that bit confirmed in writing).

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

I think you'll find that your existing Life Insurance policy (or if new - most reputable companies) will cover you as long as you dive within the limits of your qualification. i.e. OW = 18 metres or less, etc. Not as easy as it sounds.....

I'm insured through Halifax and they confirmed this was the case. I got the impression it was a fairly standard clause.

Hope this helps.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm insured through Halifax and they confirmed this was the case. I got the impression it was a fairly standard clause.
me too,

commercial diver thats also does recreational dives , no probs....also got critical cover as well, so i get paid if i end up in a wheel chair for life.

but i did have to give them a itemised list of dive equipment that I own or what is stored at my address including my lovely dive store ( heated , heaverly alarmed garage ).

halifax do seemed the right people to talk to and you don't have to have a account with them.

Andy

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

We had this discussion a while back..I'll see if I can find it and add it later.

1. Life Insurance...you should let them know that you dive...i received an additional questionnaire about my diving...do you do deco dives, cave dives, technical etc etc..you disclose that of course...mine is Friends Prov and it's not expensive,,,I don't find anyway.

2. Gear insurance...normally covered by home or car insurance but you advise accordingly...nice point about ditching in an emergency...must get that one sorted/clarified.

3. Personal insurance...DAN is my insurer on that and it covers all I need...obviously there are detailed questions about your diving etc.

In the event that you exceed your limits covered by the insurance you're going to be stuffed so don't worry about the pennies and make sure you're covered for all eventualities that you will be in.

Hope this helps and I'll have a dig around for the other post.

Best regards.

Graham

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I just took out some more life insurance and when i said i dived i just got asked some further questions about overhead environments and how deep I go. the advisor said that they may send me a further questionaire but nothing has materialised yet. Dont know the effect on the premium. I have my dive kit covered under house insurance.
jules

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

My gear is insured with westfield insurance.  I asked my home insurance provider if they covered my gear if i had to ditch it in an emergency and they laughed at me!  So i had to go get separate insurance.  Bugger.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Spent a big chunk of my life in this industry. I have an axe to grind and dont think that the forum should be used for financial gain.

My free advice, go to a independent (yes totally independent, regulated directly by the Financial Services Authority) Financial Adviser.

Yes, they will EARN commission, but they have to find you the best company with the best terms and conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts