YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Firstly I was planning on leaping in on the 22nd but ended up going on the 23rd instead.

Apparently there may have been some issues with water access on the 22nd due to a delay for the official opening - Can't comment as I don't know the full details.

So on the 23rd.  Left Bristol at 9am, arrived at about 9:20.  Pretty quiet I would guess 50 cars on site
Entrance fee £12,  

Car parking good.  Staff friendly.  
Catering OK and reasonably priced.  Changing facilities and toilets on site.  Shop had a selection of kit,  not a huge selection but seemed reasonably priced compared to some dive shops !!.

A fair trek to the waters edge but a regular shuttle service was available, with kit loaded on a trailer and divers transferred in the back of a landrover or an old army truck.

The waters edge consisted of some very stable pontoons, a garden shed with a map on the wall and some trolleys to transfer the kit from the shuttle drop off point down a short hill (10 metres) to the pontoons.  Rescue ribs were moored alongside the pontoons.  

Water entry:-  seated entry or giant stride.
Water Exit:-  Steel ladders.

Training platforms at various depths,  large stable construction, all bouyed.

Other than this the quarry was very uninspiring for diving.  very barren, not a lot to see - Well bugger all really,  the fish are still very timid of divers and we saw one fish the whole time.  Vis was 5m to 8m, bottom composition some silt but settled very quickly.

In summary,  lots of potential.  I will probably not go back until some attractions have been put in place.  

Also the shuttle service could end up being swamped (No pun intended) if it gets really busy.  

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

What...  You saw 2 tyres and the xmas tree....

OK so I saw one fish.. but you saw 2 things more than I did.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

We went last weekend. Weather a bit Anglesey.
More possibilities than Stoney but free of old cars and planes. Apparently the HSE are not fond of these and NDC intend to develop items of interest such as the swim through – currently a couple of pipes held down by concrete lamp posts instead.
The guy I spoke to in the gas room was friendly and showed us around said they welcomed any ideas for improvement. I think proper exit ladders at all points not just the “deep” end are a must. Twin 12s and narrow vertical ladders are not a good combination.
As mentioned by Daz the shuttle system may be overwhelmed at busy times but with maybe 50 cars it coped well. Having said that I missed the bus and ended walking up to collect a spare mask then missed it on the return. It is not far but there is a climb and even in poor weather a tad warm.
The short climb from pntoon to truck may not be a good idea if your deco has been minimal. It is quite steep although short and carrying 40kg got the blood moving a bit.
There are supposed to be fish, we found the xmas tree and there is a wreck!!! – a kayak in the shallow end, vis was ok but we did not exceed  28m.
All staff were friendly and helpful, bacon butties better than the cove and the whole breakfast roll looked like a real cholesterol hit.
A long(ish) way for the northern mob but well worth a look. For those of us who need to dilute our ale it should be a useful alternative.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Nice wee report there Richie,

It may be bit of treck for us Northern-wallahs, true, but I feel that it would be rude not to check it out at some stage.

Anyone else manages to dive the NDC, please give us your thoughts after you've been, as the more info and input we get here allows other users to get it straight what to expect.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts