YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently returned my unit to Miflex who in turn sent it back to Canada for testing because I couldn't hear the skipper and my GPS positions on the unit was about a mile and half away from the boat ( Channel Diver ) I was standing on. Canada reported back the unit is not broken and they updated the firmware from V.58 to V.62.

What I have discovered through this experience is that the " Squelch Setting should be on AUTO ", my unit came from the factory on 130, I hadn't touched it so please check your unit is set to AUTO, they tell me if manually adjusted it should be between 90-115, but best to use this AUTO setting. I'm not sure where it is becuase I didn't see it on my unit.

It would also appear that as various changes are being made to the firmware on a regular basis as different things are upgraded or discovered, it would be very wise to plug in your unit before every day's diving and check if any firmware updates are needed and the battery life is good. I personally can't see people remembering to plug their units in on a regular basis, more like they will turn it on see the battery life is sufficient and put it back in their dive kit.

I plugged my unit in the week leading up to my dive on 28th April and had 98% battery and run a firmware update but didn't have any AUTO setting on my unit otherwise it would have worked that day on the boat.

Here is some feed back which highlights running regular updates is very very important.

I run mine the week leading upto the dive and some of these changes must have been made between me running the update and putting it in my bag.

STROBE.

On the firmware that was on the unit when we received it, there was no way of testing the strobe without entering distress mode. There is a self-diagnostic feature that has been incorporated into v.60 firmware. Press the orange button 3 times to enter self-test mode but important to read the manual before trying this.

Couldn't hear the skipper from 2 feet away.

Channel 08 was originally specified by the British Authorities as a duplex channel. Which means ship to shore and not ship to ship. We received permission to program CH 08 as a duplex frequency which means that ship to ship is now functional on that frequency. This change was incorporated in the firmware update v.58. We updated the firmware on this unit to v.62 Tested the RF output. It is working perfectly. PLEASE NOTE that VHF radios will often not work when they are side by side. It's the nature of the RF output that you should be at least 5 metres apart.

Good Luck.

I would be interested to learn of any other unit holders that dont have AUTO on their unit, I wonder how many units are out their like mine on 130 or something else.

·
Slippery when wet
281 Posts
Thanks for the info
Upgraded firmware last night
Will check squlech setting tonight

Noticed that they are being used by the Undersea Hunter boats for trips to Cocos Island replacing Sea Marshal's

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just got this back from Nautilus Lifeline Team :-

Regarding the GPS indication that you were experiencing, we were made aware a short time ago that this issue had not been resolved after implementing an initial fix, and have released a new firmware version which has been confirmed to resolve the issue.

Firmware version 0.64 was released on Friday, and is available for download at Nautilus Lifeline Support - Getting Started.

Even since Lifeline returning my unit and them upgrading it from v.58 this week to V.62 it now needs another to v.64.

·
Feeling a Tad Oppressed!
614 Posts
Channel 08 is NOT a DUPLEX Channel in the UK, it is a SIMPLEX channel (you send and receive on the same frequency, hence why you must release the Tx button to hear what's being said back to you). It is one of only four channels that recreational users can use for SHIP to SHIP use.

Clearly these guys didn't do their homework before launching this device on open market. How the heck it gained CE approval (if indeed it has) is beyond me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for that post, I tried to use my unit last week in direct line of sight to a coastguard repeater station on a hill top some two mile away, called several times as been prearranged by telephone and got nothing back on ch16. I had upgraded the firmware about two weeks ago. This does not fill me with confidence as one of the reasons I purchased the unit is that I live in remote area.

time for another update and more tests.

ah DT

dives 2011 97 :) this year 21 ;(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that post, I tried to use my unit last week in direct line of sight to a coastguard repeater station on a hill top some two mile away, called several times as been prearranged by telephone and got nothing back on ch16. I had upgraded the firmware about two weeks ago. This does not fill me with confidence as one of the reasons I purchased the unit is that I live in remote area.

time for another update and more tests.

ah DT

dives 2011 97 :) this year 21 ;(
Please report this to
[email protected] and [email protected]

They need to be made aware of these issues to get them resolved and corrected for every user.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had mine for a few months now and done three firmware updates all of which failed first time leaving the unit with no firmware. Only crapped myself on the first time this happened and after a bit of unplugging and re-plugging, holding button down and restarting the PC software etc. it's recoved itself each time.

I definately feel like a beta tester.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had mine for a few months now and done three firmware updates all of which failed first time leaving the unit with no firmware. Only crapped myself on the first time this happened and after a bit of unplugging and re-plugging, holding button down and restarting the PC software etc. it's recoved itself each time.

I definately feel like a beta tester.
Yes, sadly feel in agreement with your remark.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I rather liked the look of these, but given that it is equipment that if you need it, it needs to work, I think I'll hold fire for a while. I just want something that works, and it looks like this isn't it (yet).

I've been a beta tester (involuntary!) for a new car model once before - 6 recalls in a year. Never again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone found the GPS position upload useful?

It only stores the last 32 positions which generally show the track of the boat when the unit was last switched on which is pretty useless really IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Edward

Despite my rather negative sounding comments I still think that it's a great idea for a product and I want it to succeed. Most of the issues, in my view, are to do with features that are not quite the core benefit of the product which I think do think work. i.e. being able to talk to the boat and if that does not work talk to the coastguard and if that does not work there is the (air) lift button. Within the physical limitations of VHF, internet reports suggest that it works as a VHF radio.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
True. I think it is a great idea as well. Just worried that it needs so many software updates. When it is a bit more stable then I'll look at buying one I think. Just not yet!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shame I too think its a great idea but mine will being sitting in my bag for the next 6 months upon return. I'm going to take it out on the boat to make sure the GPS picks up and speaker works but I wouldn't fancy taking it to sea.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would hold off as well, just for a little while :) the units themselves are great, small neat , easy to use, however my confidence in being able to call the Coastguard is a little shaken. I was not even in the water, I was out helping a stranded whale and arranged with the CG to call them to update them. So at 6 + tall stood on a rise some 5m above sea level to a 50ft mast on a 100m hill some 3 miles away which I had been told my the CG had a repeater station on it. Nothing ,I know its at the far end of its range, but perfect conditions.

I going to run the update today then head down to the harbour and ask for a radio check from one of the local boats.

I still think they are a good piece of safety equipment , but they need some work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts