YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
We dont know the full story behind this whole business and I am sure it will be years before the truth will come out.
Is my perception correct that you are not at all impressed with how these military personnell conducted themselves? Have you any suggestions on how these 15 people who were captured should have behaved differently? Maybe dig a long tunnel as in the Great Escape or build an airplane as in Colditz (was it) or even take on the whole of Tehran bare handed then rush back to their council houses?

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I think thats a bit out of order, they were on two Rhibs armed with SA80's and possibly a 9mm pistol against armed patrol boats, if they had opened fire they more than likely would not of survived. Not to mention their terms of engagement which im hazarding a guess would clearly state they cannot open fire without first being fired upon. Not one of the fifteen would of got in the rhibs thinking, oh nice sunny day lets hope a couple of iranian patrol boats pop up, capture us, parade on tv for a week, then let us wear shoddy suits and send us home for easter eggs and press interviews.

As you probably have not been in that position, I dont think you can make those comments. The bit about selling there stories fair enough but the rest of the post, is a bit below the belt.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I agree with the comments from Gareth above. 15 people made it back, if they had opened fire in retaliation I doubt any of them would. However, I do agree that they shouldn't be involved in a bun fight over fees, those monies should in part go to the charities supporting the families of the dead and wounded in these 2 dreadful conflicts.

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Frankly, I'm not impressed with the fact that they appeared relatively eager to co-operate, regardless of what they were told they 'had' to do.

What happened to NAME, RANK, SERIAL NUMBER?

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Is anybody else appalled that the MOD has given permission for our brave sailors/marines to sell their sorry tales to the press?

Now we can all read how they gave themselves up to the Iranians without a fight.

Marvel at the courage displayed when they paraded around in cheap suits for the world to see.

Read with envy about the contents of those goody bags they brought home.

Revel in the details of that happy meeting with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad where they courageously smiled as they applauded his generosity.

With the notable exception of the leading officer, none of these people seemed capable of stringing a coherent sentence together, but this won’t stop the gutter press from entering a bidding war to print this crap.

No doubt we’ll soon be invited to have a tour of their families’ council homes through the pages of Hello! magazine.

The most sickening thing I heard this morning was a parallel drawn with this and Johnson Beharry being given permission to sell the story of how he won his VC ffs!

Sorry Nick, but I don't suppose you need a PhD or a rich life style to volunteer to serve your country.

Frankly, I'm not impressed with the fact that they appeared relatively eager to co-operate, regardless of what they were told they 'had' to do.

I have to disagree. IMHO this was a piece of diplomatic theatre with our men and women playing centre stage. I'm sure there was far more at stake than we realise.

I worked on the Iran/Iraq Conflict Desk at the Foreign Office in the eighties. Twenty years ago it was a political minefield - people tiptoed round each other politely with crisis point forever bubbling under the surface. Doesn't seem to have changed much :frown:

So, as for the right to sell their stories, I think it would be best to say nothing. The media aren't exactly known for underplaying these things. Why make tensions even worse?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

Because things have changed and information changes so rapidly that the information which 'normal' bods have is probably not valid, therefore having someones brains blown out because they have withheld out of date information is not worth it.

David, I am not sure of your background, but I have undergone training scenarios covering this sort of thing and it is not fun!! After 24hrs of constant lie telling/untruths/'questioning'/no sleep, you do start to weaken! Then when someone points a gun at your head, or a colleagues head, and tells you to read out what is front of you, you say whatever they want you to say :(

I do not think they had a choice but the rest of the world knew that they would be doing these 'presentations'/'letter wrtiting' under duress so it has relatively little effect.

Selling the stories is wrong though.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I think it's totaly wrong to sell their stories, at the very least give the money away to the forces charities. I don't consider them as heroes but neither I think of them as cowards. They simply did what was best and to keep quiet and obey the captors.

I do think they should have sank the ribs. Now Iran has two UK armed ribs which I'm sure they won't use for leisure diving.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Buoyant Babe;676865 I worked on the Iran/Iraq Conflict Desk at the Foreign Office in the eighties. Twenty years ago it was a political minefield - people tiptoed round each other politely with crisis point forever bubbling under the surface. Doesn't seem to have changed much :frown: [/QUOTE said:
So were you on the team selling weapons to the Iranians or poison gas to the Iraqis? :)

Kev.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I have no problem with what the guys did or had to do to get home safely. I am not keen on the selling of stories afterwards though. A distinguished silnce would be more apt now, I believe.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
You seem to be forgetting they were captive in a region where cutting captives heads off is quite standard practice, just giving Number, Rank, Name and Date of birth don't help too much in those situations.

Why not make some money out of it, i'd have had the suit on ebay the day i got back :)

Criminals and terrorist suspects etc get to make money out of their stories, some even get to make movies over here and get lots of compensation so why not service personnel serving abroad, even more so as they will have nothing to hide.

As for surrendering, a few heavy machine guns would have wiped the lot out in their inflatable boats in seconds, and I'm sure they were captured at close range in a carefully set up ambush/trap.

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
I have to add my voice to GLOC and Paul, they all conducted themselves in accordance with currant policy regarding capture, and thinking otherwise just goes to show how Hollywood this war has become. You cant go all guns blazing at the enemy with a knife between your teeth, I've seen the business end of a heavy cal gun it's not big or clever to fight back, and if they get some money out of it i wont begrudge them a penny.

Oh yes I'm from a council house have served for 13 years and have A levels and a BTEC Diploma, does this make me lesser person?

Dave

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
No matter what happened before, during and after.. selling the story just makes leaves me sitting here wondering if all is as it seems.. if they - like someone suggested - sold their story and donated it all to the families left behind from soldiers killed then possibly I could live with it but all for monetary gain.. not the done thing, bad bad form

B x

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Fair enough they got captured but to sign documents and parade on TV not the done thing IMO. as for selling their stories bollocks if they can get away with it why the hell not i'm sure they'll earn it after the stick they get now off others they serve with. God knows i've had enough stick about it from para mates :embarassed: best one so far was "if i drive up next to you will you surrender that shiny new jeep you've bought" wankers:teeth:

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
well having spoken to marines in chivenor, taunton and people in Plymouth i must agree with them they let the side down.

perhaps they should have got there storeys straight before they got back the account changes every time. I am a strong supporter of the forces and think that they do a fantastic job but these lot couldn't wait to help out poor skills all round

it doesn't take much to keep your gob shut, as for gun at your head and forced to write the letters they did, well there are things they should have done changed names of family members to show they are being forced etc this is all basic stuff that a recruit gets taught in training

and the navy officers account on TV turned my stomach total B***KS

Graham

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.