YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

On looking out the window on the 26th it was absolutely chucking it down, but a plan was a plan so I was willing to risk it.  

Myself, Mika, Paul, Debs and Neill (A subset of the Bristol massive who had decided that diving was a better option than work) were planning on meeting up with Tom, Mattbin and Gareth (Reeve) at the NDC.  

However as the day had started poorly (Weather wise) and the forecast did not look much better, Matt sent a text apologising for a no show and the intention to dive into YD instead (Interestingly enough this also turned out to be the day that YD went offline...  A jinx,  I'll leave you to judge  
).

We all met up onsite within 15 minutes of each other and following a quick pairing up (1st dive - Gareth and Neill, Paul and Tom, Mika and Debs and me doing the traditional hosts job of mingling amongst the groups  
)

Gareth and Neill disappeared off to do there own dive (Can't tell you any more than that) and following a minor doh moment the rest of us were in.  I stuck pretty much with Tom and Paul.  Tom was still getting used to his drysuit but all things considered seemed to be doing a pretty good job.  Off along the platforms, play on the first sunken boat for a while and joy of joys, came face to face with a reasonable size pike.

OK it was big and it got bigger throughout the day, mainly as I just happened to be diving with a empty housing (I had my reasons and I'm sticking to my story  
)  Tom very kindly proceeded to take the piss by pretending to take photos of the pike, knowing my housing was empty.  So onto the next boat at 17m.  Paul let us know he had reached the agreed reserve, so we all turned around and headed back into the biggest silt out we could find !!  We managed to stick together pretty much and when Paul got down to 50bar I handed off my long hose for the last leg.  

Met up with Gareth and Neill at the ladders and we all headed off for tea, air fills and 1 hour of piss taking about empty housings and the biggest pike anyone had ever seen  
(Gareth and Neill had seen it as well.)

Debs, Neill and Mika had to depart but the rest of us headed off for a second dive.  So housing left out for this dive, Tom was buddying with Paul and I was buddying with Gareth.   Let me start by saying, top man, 30 second buddy checks..  Covered all pertinant info and concise.

Threw ourselves in swam across and dropped down on the far side,  what followed was fairly uneventful as we followed the quarry around (saw a small pike,  no really, probably 12 inches).  And then we got to the boat at 10m.  As we were heading off towards the training platforms, I glanced around to see Tom fully inverted, holding onto a rail on the boat.  

Both Gareth and myself turned and headed back to assist if required.  Now I confess,  I was not sure if this was deliberate or an accident.  So I gave Tom the OK sign (well he did not seem to be paniced).  Tom managed to give me an OK sign back (no mean feat when you are inverted and hanging onto a rail with both hands  
)  with a bit of kicking, Tom sorted himself out and we carried on to the platforms for a safety stop.

I played with my new spool and DSMB and then Gareth offered to swap fins.  Ooohhh force fins to play with,  I had always wanted to try them out so it was an offer I could not resist.  (Seperate post in equipement on how I found them)
Gareth very kindly proceeded to assist me with doing the straps up on them as I was falling around like a complete mong.  Paul and Tom had already headed in at this point.  So with fins swapped we head off towards the ladders.

Well all in all I had a great day and thanks Gareth and Tom for meeting up.

Til next time.
Daz

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Daz

Nice to see you enjoyed yourself, I guess you did`nt need the shades though. I was dressed in rubber that day too, but for a different reason, and getting paid for it !

Steve

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L. @ Nov. 30 2003,09:47)]I guess you did`nt need the shades though.
Believe it or not, he was wearing them (in the rain) when I arrived. That's how I recognised him!

I had a really good day, nice meeting everyone who was there. Also learned a bit about how (not) to control a drysuit

Just to clarify some things from Daz's report -

The minor 'doh' moment was me realising, on arriving at the kitting up area by the water, that my mask was in the boot of my car. DOH! Cue a quick trip back in a friendly landrover... probably should have kept quiet about that one, but too late now.

The empty housing - OK, so you may have done it deliberately and not just forgotten to put the camera in, but c'mon, there's got to be a better way of obtaining redundant bouyancy than carrying around a sealed box of air!  

The underwater fin-swap was pretty funny - Paul and I were watching (most of) the proceedings on our ascent, so thanks for giving us something more entertaining than our computers to look at.

All in all, top day out.

Tom

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Nov. 30 2003,22:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Believe it or not, he was wearing them (in the rain) when I arrived. That's how I recognised him!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I had a really good day, nice meeting everyone who was there. Also learned a bit about how (not) to control a drysuit
Likewise on the meeting up...  Hey I think you did pretty good, especially if I remember my first efforts in a drybag.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The empty housing - OK, so you may have done it deliberately and not just forgotten to put the camera in, but c'mon, there's got to be a better way of obtaining redundant bouyancy than carrying around a sealed box of air!  
The annoying part was the way it kept floating up and smacking me in the face..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The underwater fin-swap was pretty funny - Paul and I were watching (most of) the proceedings on our ascent, so thanks for giving us something more entertaining than our computers to look at.
I think the phrase you are looking for is :-  "He looked like a monkey f*cking a football"  

I was kind of hoping you had missed it but in my defence, that's why I have bungee straps on my fins..  Christ I struggle with lace ups on shoes....  (Gareth..  bin the fin straps and put bungee on  
)

Cheers again guys..  BTW.  I have the 5th and 8th of December off if you are interested.?

Daz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts