YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Right then. I've now sorted accommodationa nd boats and all the rest of it for a club trip, and I'm deciding on sites.

Now, at the mention of me diving a U-boat out of Diver, one of my mates got all excited and wanted to dive one too. Problem is he's Ocean Diver, so 20m max (give or take a couple of metres)

So what I need is a sub or U-boat out of Plymouth (as that's where the weekend's going to be) that's in less than 20m of water, and isn't a million miles offshore. It max. 20m, so it's not going to be a long way, but somewhere nice and convenient would be good.

I also either need coordinates or transits for the site, or somewhere that will have them.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Digs.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>in short nope

the closest sub is the A7 but you can dive it
1 its protected
2 its in 40m

when are you down?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>We're there the last weekend in May, doing the Scylla and JEL. I know, it's going to be really busy, but then that's life. We have to go wreck diving sometime, and they're suitable sites for our lot, who are Ocean/Club Diver and above.

Any good suggestions in 20m for a third day's diving, or alternative if we get to the others and they're heaving (well, more heaving than they would otherwise be on a bank holiday!!!). I've had a look at the Poulmic and SS Rosehill, but I think the Rosehill's going to be too deep, 26m+.

Are you in the area? Fancy a beer over that weekend? I would offer a space on the boat, but we just sold out in a week.

Digs.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

I was down there this weekend.  You are right, the Rosehill will be too deep (was approx 30m).  Definitely worth a visit if your friends end up pulling out though.

BTW Scylla may not be too dreadful - we were there on Good Friday - there were twelve boats diving on her and we didn't see divers from any of them - she is big

Don't know whether you are keen to just do wrecks - if not, and if the weather is good try and get to Hands Deep - 10-50m wall ...very scenic, great viz, and amazing beds of jewel anemones.  It's about 12 miles off Plymouth... you would need the weather gods to be smiling on you, but if they are it's definitely worth a visit.  Another (closer to shore) option would be Hillsea Point.  Again v scenic.  Millions of dogfish too....

Wreckwise I think the Glen Strath Allen is only in about 15m.  Didn't dive this so don't know what it's like...

Know someone who has spent a lot of time diving off Plymouth. I'll ask him to put his thinking cap on, and if any of it is of any use I'll pass it on.

HTH anyway
Helen

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yep, I've got the Glen Strathallan in Dive South Devon, but it says boilers proud and then kelp covering the wreckage. Might be worth a dive for the second dive of the day, but I was going to do 2 dives on Scylla, then one on JEL, see which goes down better, and do that sunday afternoon, then monday do some other more broken, less popular wrecks. I still want them to be kind of wreck shaped, or with at least some recognisable features. This is sort of my intro to wreck diving for some of the guys who think a wreck is the Stanegarth, and all the otherts will just be bigger versions of that!!! Which I suppose the Scylla's going to be really, having gone down less than a month ago!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

It's not a sub, or out of Plymouth, but if you are using club ribs, then the Galicia is only a couple of miles out of Teignmouth in 18m Max, very broken up, crabs, lobsters and sometimes scallops.

The Bretagne, much more ship shape, 18m to deck, sea bed 24-30m, is about 6 miles from Teignmouth.

Could be possible dives on your journey home...

Adrian

PS get them to SD, and the Sidon and M2 west of Portland are under 35m

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for your input guys, I think I've got a fair few to read up on, and possibly put it to a vote on the trip!

I'm presuming none of the suggestions on the list are off limits to divers (with the exception of your beanie!!!), if anyone knows of any permission needed please PM me.

once again. Thanks again. There's nowt like YD for local knowledge!

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Digger, try the Elk. dived it once in january on a chartwork course and it was FULL of life. a bit small and around 33m but a really great little dive.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>20m dives? hmm

jel
scylla
poulmic - more scenic with wreckage
ableard - see above
glen strah allan - err yeah boilers and scattered wreckage

then there are some pretty scenic dives
tinkers shoal 20m
mew stone 6-40m

then you can go further to
hillsea pinacles 6-30m (?)

deeper ~30m
rosehill
elk
persier

I'll be down there next weekend 24/25 april  (hopefully)

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ April 13 2004,19:10)]I was going to do 2 dives on Scylla, then one on JEL, see which goes down better, and do that sunday afternoon,
You might as well plan on that second dive being on JEL then
.  I thought she was absolutely stunning....

Helen

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HelenM @ April 14 2004,09:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ April 13 2004,19:10)]I was going to do 2 dives on Scylla, then one on JEL, see which goes down better, and do that sunday afternoon,
You might as well plan on that second dive being on JEL then
.  I thought she was absolutely stunning....

Helen
<font color='#8D38C9'>yep for some reason the jel just dosn't wear off  

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Hi Digger,

As promised, my 'man in the know' has come back with a bit more info.  It's below....

Hope it helps...
Helen

I assume that your club is looking for diving wrecks rather than reefs.

As you mentioned Le Poulmic is in 18m, but completely spread over a wide area, so its reef with lots of wreckage. Occasional congers and dogfish, some big pieces of wreckage but not many and sometimes difficult to find, so may be a little boring for hardened wrekkies.

Personally, I would go for the Glen Strathallen - remember me pointing out Shag Rock when we went past it, well it's there. Its just outside the breakwater area, so return to Plymouth is reasonably quick after the dive. The broken up pleasure yacht - come converted trawler is still a spread wreck but bigger bits and closer together. Also, many bits are more identifiable, like the boiler, bow piece, hull pieces, and plates on the seabed. Much marine life visits this wreck and because of its location is reasonably sheltered. The wreckage is in 15m on a shingle / coarse pebble bed meaning the visibility is normally very good.

There are a few others "wrecks" dotted around more wreckage, on the outside of the breakwater fort, but only in 9m of water. Also, The Great Mew Stone has piles of wreckage from numerous wrecks, but its all over the place.

Catch you later...

Tony

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>CheersHelen. They're on my list as possibles now. I think I've basically found what will suit the Club/Ocean Divers, and I'm thinking about possible night dives etc. that are a bit deeper maybe. Could be interesting!

I'll report back on all th wrecks we do anyway, let you all know how it goes.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

ANY diving inside the Sound, contact the Longroom Port Control. CH16 or 01752 836490

Adrian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts