YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi y'all

I've done about 20 dives in my Oceanic dry suit now and have stretched the neck seal about as far as I can... it spends weeks with a rather large plant pot stretching the neck seal to what seems like breaking point, yet it's still too tight... I'm loathe to trim it as I've heard that this can start it fraying and causing other problems...

Now when I don this suit I apparently look like i'm being strangled, and a recent close up piccy of me under water freaked me out, as I could see my face was swollen and the whites of my eyes were looking a little red :shocked:

to make matters worse, i've just recently hit the gym after many years away and my neck is growing again (once upon a time it measured 18-1/2"  )) so the problem is getting worse, and on Sunday at Capernwray, walking back to the car I noticed that my eyes couldn't focus anymore.... lol.. So I think it might be time to start chopping said neck seal.....

So any tips on what to do and how to do it would be greatly appreciated... I would like a normal looking head (insert abusive comment here) but not so loose a neck seal that I lose air past it.

So whats the best way to go guys and gals??

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

The Oceanic seals (especially on the Aerdura which we have) are notoriously tight. The good news is that they are also very strong and reliable. When I tried mine on, I started turning blue almost immediately. There is no problem trimming them - they have reinforcement 'bands' running around them to help keep them intact.

Use a pair of kitchen shears (you know the ones - yellow handle and angled scissor blades) and get someone to help you. While they hold the seal stretched, cut down one layer (cut in the middle of the bands rather than near the reinforced band) and cut as smoothly round as you can. You won't get a totally smooth finish but try and get it as even as possible (not for seal integrity, but sharp edges can chaff your neck!).

Cut one ring at a time and then try it for comfort. Remembering that, with pressure in your suit underwater, the seal relaxes a little, it is best if it feels slightly tight on the surface. Mine is 'uncomfortable' out of the water but is absolutely perfect once I am diving.

Good luck and don't be afraid to snip!

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Jay...

I'm glad you remembered what suit I had mate, I realised last night JUST as I was about to doze off that I hadn't mentioned if it was a latex or neoprene seal..

How many rings have you removed Jay?

I'll let Di control the scissors as I'm a left hooker and scissors have always confused me... ;)

I was purposely checking peeps out at Capernwray on
Sunday and there were loads of them who still had their dry suit completely fastened during their SI period, whereas the first thing I have do once I've got my tank off, is get someone to unzip me, and get my head out of my suit as soon as possible, standing there groaning with pleasure as my brian is re-oxygenated and my vision returns to normal.... lol.. and u think I'm joking....
I realised after Sunday that all of the stretching in the world isn't going to help, so thanks for your advice mucka....

Tonight! we attack!!

G

·
Imported post

To be honest I don’t like anybody poking about with my ring with a sharp pair of scissors!
But I had to do the same with mine cut two rings off then shove my kid’s plastic bucket in the seal, it works fine. But leave the bucket out for a few days and it’s tight again.  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts