YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for some glue that is strong and can be used for diving kit, so doesn't break down in sea water and will take abuse.

I want to glue some plastics, and 'maybe' stainless and plastic.

The Rhino Ultra Glue looks like great stuff, but I can't find it for sale in the UK.

So any suggestions of where I could get the Rhino stuff or a descent 'diver proof' alternative?

Thanks

Please don't say Super Glue, cause it falls apart after a while

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

·
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Polyurethane and Waterproof Product Info and Reviews | DoItYourself.com but why you would want to stick a Rhino to your kit is beyond me - won't it mess with your bouyancy?

Dianne
Thanks Dianne, but that's an American site. It is difficult enough getting solvent based products delivered from the mainland UK without trying to get some sent from the states.

Oh and Rhinos are great swimmers, so it is really for an ecological DPV :D
(Or is it hippopotamuses that are good swimmers :confused: )

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
i have used JB Weld on my valve guards to fix CDs lazyness, and it hasn't unbonded yet.

bought using Ebay from a bloke in Comber! can't get much more local than that!

a search on Goggle and Ebay should turn up some. it's a two-part epoxy. if you are really stuck for time i have some left. claims it will stick anything. :)

·
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got an e-mail reply from the Rhino people - nope can't get it in the UK.

But that JB weld stuff Al mentions has a good spiel on it. I might have a go at that.

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
you can buy polyurethane over the counter from most building suppliers/tools stores etc. who stock joinery products. it costs about £10 per 1/2 liter which will go for miles.
its fully waterproof, you can even use it in the water & it will stick as it can be water or air activated.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Give the professionals a call... I use these guys for sticking stuff work and if they can't stick it together then no-one can. They've got a massive range.

Bondrite Adhesives Ltd
Unit 12, Meadow Lane Industrial Estate, Gordon Rd, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 1JP
Tel: 01509 262121

·
Registered
30 Posts
a search on Goggle and Ebay should turn up some. it's a two-part epoxy. if you are really stuck for time i have some left. claims it will stick anything. :)
Ebay? I buy it from halfords (although not for a while). I'm sure that's the stuff that on the tube some guy in America talks about repairing the engine block on his tractor with it! Never been quite that far but I have used it to repair various engine parts in the past and it does a good job of holding oily bits of metal together....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Paul, glueing plastics isn't as strightforward as it seems. The type of glue very much depends on the type of plastic, with some glues being completely incompatable with some plastics, and vice versa.

You need to identify the plastics and get the appropriate glue if you want a 'serious' bond (that may be why araldite failed you).

·
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paul, glueing plastics isn't as strightforward as it seems. The type of glue very much depends on the type of plastic, with some glues being completely incompatable with some plastics, and vice versa.

You need to identify the plastics and get the appropriate glue if you want a 'serious' bond (that may be why araldite failed you).
Oh that's great, just when I thought it was a matter of a bit of decent glue and Bob's your uncle.

I have ordered some of that J B Wield that Al suggested.

I wouldn't have an idea of the type of plastic - one thing I want to glue is red, and another thing is blue and I want to fix a bit of stainless steel to it :)

I am modifying dive knife sheaths as I appear to be keeping all the divers on the side of the country in constant supply of knives as I loose mine. So I keep trying different knives and ways of attaching them. I like to keep a knife on my left forearm, but it takes a bit of abuse, especially when getting back into a RIB, so my new modification will hopefully hold.

I also have a few other bits of kit that take a serious beating in a RIB and need attention regularly, so I want to 'wield' some of that too.

Club diving seems cheap, but it is hard on kit replacement and repair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.