YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had delivery of a new MTM membrane suit from Seaskin. A real thing of beauty it is too. Fits like a glove.
Thing is, I have been diving a compressed neoprene suit for the last couple of years.
My first dive with the new suit will be tomorrow morning, any tips on making the transition smoother, especially regarding weighting, buoyancy etc?
Thanks in advance!

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
other way

I have just gone from a Northern Diver Membrane cortex suit to a DUI compressed neoprene & I have found about 1kg of difference between them the neoprene needing 1kg less than the membrane ,other than that I have not noticed any difference at all
HTH

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Will probably be a difference in thermal qualities. Take some warmer clothes with you incase you need to layer up.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I went the 'other way' and added 2-3 kilo after switching from membrane to neo. I'm overweighted once under but need the extra lead just to get down in the first place :redface:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I went from Membrane to Neo just last week and lost 3 kgs... so I am pretty happy..

B xx

·
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I'll leave my harness the same and just have some extra lead on the boat.
Have a good weekend's diving folks, weather looks to be holding up!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
It doesn't make much difference I used 4kg with a Otterskin Membrane and i used 4kg with a 03 5mm Neoprene. You tend to wear less under the neoprene and have fewer pockets of trapped gas to deal with.

Hyper compressed Neoprene is basically a membrane suit so they are the same as well. Not a great deal of benefit with a hyper compressed suit over a membrane.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts