YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rEvolutionary HPDW'ing
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I will be investing an a new drysuit soon. I will be getting it made to measure from Otter, the only problem being that I can't decide on neoprene or otter skin.

What are your thoughts/opinions on both, benefits/drawbacks for diving with both singles and twins. All info and views appreciated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have used the otter skin for the last couple of years and love it, I've got the neoprene neck seal on mine as I prefer it to latex, The reason I like the skin is I'm usualy very warm on a dive so I just have a t shirt and jogging pants under it. Its as tough as old boots as well.I would say your best bet would be to try one on a dive if you can.

John

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Mine will be a qualified opinion as it's based more on discussion rather than actual experience as I've only ever used membrane suits.

I chose that option as I decided it offered a bit more flexibility in terms of insulation (as there's going to be a limit to how much you can squeeze under a neoprene suit, while less of a problem with membrane) and comfort (much easier to get on). No issues with changes of bouyancy due to compression. They pack better too. And a bit less revealing if you're carrying a few extra pounds!

On the other side, neoprene suits are easier to repair yourself if you get a tear mid-trip so in that respect might last you longer. And they suffer much less from air migration problems during a dive, so easier to use.

It's swings and roundabouts. But, if you're used to diving membrane you should have no problem diving a borrowed neoprene suit if you need to. Might have problems if you need to do it the other way round though - you do need to get the knack of handling that air migration thing.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Gotta say I'm in agreement with Mark D for a change :D

I love membrane suits because I find they are easier to get into and out of. Having said that I have only dived a membrane although did try to get into a neoprene once!

I think there is a fairly even split between pro membrane and pro neoprene camps. At the end of the day I think it's really down to individual preference. If you're diving a neoprene/membrane and not having any problems why change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts