YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Right then chaps,

I'm off to Bali on Saturday and will be taking my 3m shortie cos the water temp is a healthy 28-29 degress at the mo' and the 5mm longy would be overkill.

However, after watching poor wee Ben get a faceful of jellyfish in the Clyde on Sunday I'm slightly worried about the lack of protection on the arms and legs.

So - dive skins - good? bad? indifferent? Where from? How much? Any chance of getting one for the weekend?

Any other ideas? - oh yeah and I'm not wearing women's tights .....

...again.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've got the Reed Chillcheater

The suit has worked fine in the pool, which is the coldest place it's ever been taken.

I haven't used the hood much but one of my buddies said that my Chillcheater hood plus a 3mm neoprene one was much warmer than her other, 5mm neo, one.

So if you can use a 3mm shorty, you'll probably be fine with a chillcheater or that 4th element one..

·
Diving in the sand
224 Posts
Imported post

Diving out in the Gulf we have sae temperarures in the low 30s. We also have a lot of jellyfish. I have used an "Aeroskin" for the last two seasons. It gives little or no thermal protection but certainly keeps the jellys off and is a great protection against the sun. If you feel a little chilly you can easily wear a 3mm shortie over the top.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Boiler suit.Slap it on top of the shorty,good for protection against snagging etc.You may have to tape the legs up to stop flapping/drag if it's huge.Probably about a tenner and you don't "need"anything else(get an orange one and play safe!)Gardening/Light duty work gloves(orange woven type with silicon on)are an effective barrier for your hands in warm water too.
Hobby.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

There are a few types of skin around in varying thicknesses: I've a thin lycra jobbie and it seems to be okay for keeping the stings out though if you are sensitive you may want to consider something like a 0.5mm 1 piece wetsuit which gives a bit more protection without much of weight/buoyancy penalty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Gavin mate,

forgot to ask,

Whats wrong with wearin womens tights?  Or even stockings?

Come to think of it the stockings aren't the way to go: the sussie belt would get caught in the weight belt!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I hope you have the physique of a superhero to consider all over lycra, Gav!

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ May 20 2003,12:15)]I hope you have the physique of a superhero to consider all over lycra, Gav!
<font color='#000F22'>mmmn ... superhero.

Well if the superhero was called pasta and guiness man and had the superhuman powers of being able to drink 8 pints of black and still be able to cook then that's me!

I'm thinking lycra for sting protection and then shortie to pull all the bits in!

Anybody got any ideas of supplier for a lycra skin? online?

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

A pair of Ron Hill's Tracksters would do, or Helly Hensen Lifa.  Great for running in too.  Dries in seconds, which helps.

By the way, I've never been too hot on a dive.  Why not take a full size jobby?

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'll take me Helly's in case.

The reason not to take the full 5mm is weight of suit anmd needing more needless lead.

With the 3mm shorie I only need 2 kgs max.

Thanks everyone

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Gav,

You'll wish you never asked...

http://www.divegoddess.com/  

Go on Gav,  The Taihiti sweetie is very popular apparently

Daz

(Maybe I'm just getting very cold intolerant,  but I don't dive in anything less than a 3mm one piece (Detachable arms))

P.S The wife does actually have 2 skins from the above site - No really they are the wifes !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts