YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been speaking to John at Kent Tooling about making me up a 6mm SS Backplate and if I can get enough interest then this project is looking possible. They will weigh 5kg, so opportunity to move a little weight off the belt and build it within your rig / kit, reading other threads those that have done this have found it improves their trim as the weight is spread. Please bear in mind you always need some dumpable weight.

Looking around elsewhere these are between £ 215 and £315 depending on make, Shiny badge and dealer.

John can make these up at £ 170.00 Plus Post ( £15.00 Max Next Day Service ) and throw in a pair of Dome Nuts as well. If we can get a good amount of interest like more than 10 then we maybe able to get a better price ?????

I'm sure you all already know how great Kent Tooling products are and the high standard.

So, if your looking for a 6mm SS Backplate, reply and we can hopefully get enough orders together to make this project happen and you never know they may even become a standard item for Kent Tooling for other divers to benefit from in the future.

I have attached some pictures.

·
Silent but Deadly...
1,522 Posts
sorry but for gbp45 extra you get increase of approx 0.7kg... dont you think it is an expensive 0.7kg

PS I have the KT 5mm and they are brill.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 6mm plate is more expensive and at this stage of just making up 10 makes the cost a little more than if this were to become a regular item and more units could be made up and naturally this would push down the price.

Perhaps the question to ask is everyone on here is " If KT replaced the 5mm 4.3kg Backplate @ £125 for a 6mm 5kg plate @ say £150 would you buy it ?????????? "

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Gotta ask but why so many holes down either side?! Each hole that is cut out is weight off the backplate. My 6mm plate has just just five holes down on side and four down the other - that's more than enough!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did ask, some are for hanging items off like suit Bottle, maybe a torch clipped off or DSMB. I guess it's one of those personal choice things if KT made them with 10 holes some would want 15 holes and some would want 5. When they are running off big batches of these plates I guess its better you have too many holes and dont use them rather than they make them up with 5 holes and then get customers asking for more and more and thats a one by one service. Maybe no one has mentioned to John at KT before about all the holes I dont know. He is on YD so maybe he will add his own comment here.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 5mm Back Plate arrived today, looking forward to rigging it up and jumping in. Maybe in time the 6mm 5.5kg will develop but for now 5mm at 4.3kg will be good im sure. The dome nuts are excellent much better than any other backplate nuts i've found and looking forward to trying the Single Harness Triglide Winch clips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.