YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Dear Divers

I have just returned from a very good BSAC Diving Officers Conference, and i will do several posts covering issues that were raised like the incident reports etc that some may find interesting.

The first is about two new organisations that are multi agency and designed towards improving diver safety and standardising safety requirements for recreational dive boats.

The first of these is the British Diving Safety Group which is made up of BSAC, SAA, SSAC, PADI Int, DDRC, HSE, MCA and RNLI. Their Aim is:- To provide Safety at Sea for British Divers.

They have produced a joint folder which has a "Diving Incident Management Flowchart" which is very good and easy to follow. I will be puting one of these in our club boat tomorrow.

On the back an easy to follow and fill in Diving Incident Information Sheet. This goes with the casualty and contains key information for the emergency services. Its on waterproof paper you can write on with a pencil, so good for all weather and dive sites/conditions.

It also has a credit card type card with immidiate action details for in your wallet. (I think SSAC have a different one so they don't have to get their wallet out  
)

Also basic safety recomendations for Pre-Season, Pre-Dive and during the Dive safety checks. I'm not sure where these are available from yet other than asking any one of the agencies.

There are no web site details in the pack (yet).

The other is the Combined Diving Association Group which is BSAC, PADI, SAA, SSAC, MCA and RNLI with affiliation to the Charter boat skippers organisations (cannot remember their names).

This is aimed at standardising Boating Guidlines and give clear deffinition between recreational and comerial boat requirements. The guidlines are under final review with the MCA and should be published in 2004.

All looks like good stuff to me and a nice co-operation between agencies in line with the St Abbs statement.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

We did our own version of these sheets a few years ago, had them laminated and have a chinagraph pencil with them.  They live in the oxygen kit.  Also a couple of years ago at the dive show someone (cant remember the agency) was giving out gold diver help cards (symptoms/treatment of DCI etc plus RN Doc number).  I got about 30 of these and distributed them to all the club members i could get my hands on.

Will be good to get these done properly for every club and every diver to have.  My other half is in the Coastguard so i have no excuse!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Porg

Yes, we have similar. These are a nice standardisation. DDRC produce the gold DCI cards.

Doh, or is it The British hyperbaric Association

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The GOLD CARD phone number is wrong now ,,,,,,,,,

At least the new act will help improve things i guess , if divers adhere to it .

You can't beat a DIVE CHARTER SKIPPER anyhow ,,,,,

PROG ,   my father was a coastguard at Dover fo 25 years ( SWO ) ,,,,,, and i never listened to a word of safety advice or weather forecast from him EVER,,,,,,,,MOST COASTGUARDS now have only been on a boating lake and have no sea time,,, when i applied to join 3 years ago , they took on a 19 year old skinny blonde deadhead , rather than someone with sea experience and knew the job well,,,,,, mind you at the final interview i was asked if i was as mouthy as my dad , to which i walked out ,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Nov. 29 2003,22:23)]The GOLD CARD phone number is wrong now ,,,,,,,,,
Not if you have the secondor subsequent run of the card.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts