YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I know this has been covered before, so apologies
for the repetition. I have just got my a s/s backplate to fit to my Buddy Tekwing. I currently use the standard ABS backplate with twin 12s (using the CD bands/bolts), but decided that the s/s backplate is a better/stronger option in the long run. I'm tempted to use the existing webbing, but am not convinced it's heavy duty enough to last - so where's the best place to get the webbing from (admittedly I'm in the South, but just a hint in the right direction would help), and the cheapest place for d-rings, buckles etc?

I've seen links to sites showing 'how to' with the webbing, so if anyone can remind me of these I'd be most grateful.

Any hints and tips also gratefully received  

Regards, and dive safe

Martin

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Martin,
I can't help with your question but am interested in the backplate  - I assume this enables the use of stage cylinders etc.
Am I right

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

Try Andy Hayhurst, the YD tech guru.

He may be able to advise you.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Andy Hayhurst TEL: 07702 819381.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Right - managed to get myself the webbing and 4 d-rings at the weekend for a tenner - result. Have printed out all the designs for the threading and apart from still needing the waistband push-clip and a couple more weight retainers (which I can source easily) I'm almost there.
One quick question though - I have CD bands and bolt set bolted to my ABS backplate at present, but the new (okay, second hand, but it did only cost me £21+P&P!) s/s backplate isn't  a CD one so the centre holes aren't big enough for the mushroom heads - is it worth the effort of drilling them out, or simpler to replace them with wing nuts

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ June 10 2003,13:31)]I have CD bands and bolt set bolted to my ABS backplate at present, but the new (okay, second hand, but it did only cost me £21+P&P!) s/s backplate isn't  a CD one so the centre holes aren't big enough for the mushroom heads - is it worth the effort of drilling them out, or simpler to replace them with wing nuts
The way the CD bolts work with the custom divers plate is completely different from the 'standard' backplate version.

I'd suggest binning the CD Mushroom bolts and buying some other ones from here

http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp?PCID=15

It's all marine grade stainless and you can order as little as you wish (it usually arrives in a couple of days) The only thing which I'm not sure that they supply are wing nuts. These can be got from your local B+Q for a few pence. I've been using these wing nuts for a couple of years now and they haven't rusted at all.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>B&Q sell brass wingnuts, I got some M8 nuts for my rig, and they've worked well so far. I think they do various sizes, so you could be in the money there. I think I paid under £2.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Thanks guys - I'm all OK there as I bought a pair of long studs (again, marine grade) as I didn't think the bolts would be long enough to go through the ABS backplate and the bands, but actually, the length was just right. The studs came with some bolts, and the bands came with wing nuts, so it seems like I have everything I need, although I can't figure out why the mushroom heads won't work (sorry Ian, not that I doubt you - just can't get my head around why I can't use the mushroom heads to keep the bands and plate together)
Cheers
Martin

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>my advice is to get the holes enlarged because the mushroom nut stop damage to the threads and your lead weight via the backplate,also a member of my club swears that wing nuts damaged his dry suit.
HTH

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

I think that's what I'll do - I like the look of the mushroom heads, and it also avoids any chance of the wingnuts damaging the suit (or your back, come to that). Only onle last question - I've decided that I want at least one shoulder clip to ease getting in/out of the harness - are there any issues I haven't considered before going down this road?
Thanks for all your help, and dive safe
Martin

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have one on mine, you will probably get replies from dir followers saying that they are a potential failiure point but I find the ease of removal far outweighs that risk.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've decided that I want at least one shoulder clip to ease getting in/out of the harness - are there any issues I haven't considered before going down this road?
 It'll snap if you stand on it and it's a sod to get at.  If you don't put a weight retainer at the bottom right where it goes through the back plate (looking at it) the webbing will slide through enough to get your arm out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts