YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hopefully going to the Red Sea this year, and don't really think my much-loved stainless steel b/p will do me any favours in the luggage weight area. So I'll be after an aluminium backplate at LIDS this year.

But I'm having trouble finding one. The ones I can find dimesions for all seem too wide.

My ideal would basically be a Combro made out of aluminium, to keep my kit homogenous, so does anyone know of an aluminium backplate that is a reasonable fit for the following:

16in long and 10in wide (400x255mm)

Standard 11inch spacing between bolt holes

Has a hole halfway down I could chuck a P-weight in if I needed to.

Isn't Halcyon

Cheers for any ideas.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

Dom

Why not do what nigel did and get some made, i'm sure you could sell all the extra ones

paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Yeah, but Nigel had the advantage of knowing the right people already!

More importantly, Alu plates tend not to be so ludicrously overpriced as the SS ones, so there's no great saving to be made by making some for yourself - My Combro plate was £40, and you can buy an Alu plate for that if you shop around.

So, nice idea, but I don't think it would work. Pity Nigel doesn't make Alu plates as well, would save me a lot of effort

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Shame,  I would also be interested in a cheap aluminium backplate,  guess the postage would be cheaper if nothing else.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would also be interested in a cheap aluminium backplate
<span =''>
Try this method:

Go to a Halcyon or Custom Divers stockist, and look at their £100 backplates admiringly.

Go to a Dive Rite stockist and buy a backplate for £40.

;)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dominic on 12:36 pm on Feb. 5, 2003
</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would also be interested in a cheap aluminium backplate
<span =''>
Try this method:

Go to a Halcyon or Custom Divers stockist, and look at their £100 backplates admiringly.

Go to a Dive Rite stockist and buy a backplate for £40.

;)
<span =''>

Then go and spend another £50 on a single-tank adaptor cos' the diverite doesn't have any cam band slots so is only useful for doubles.

I take my s/s Halcyon with me - ok it's 2.5kg but I always get away with getting a little extra luggage.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

£50?? Where do YOU shop for STAs?

You can buy one brand new for £25, one went on ebay the other day for £16. If you're being even more thrifty, you can make your own for a few quid from a bit of aluminium..

My Combro, like the Halcyon, has cam band slots. I'm dubious as to whether they'd really do the job of holding a single securely in place tho. I'll try it when I get a minute..

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Dom - whatever.

As I said - I don't use STA's cos I don't need to.

It looks like you know what you want anyway so why ask the question?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Dominic,

Antony Howard (on the DIS-UK list) has had some ali plates professionally made which he is selling. I have asked him to mail you the details.

I took my Halcyon s/steel plate to the red sea with no problems.

HTH

Mark.

(Edited by Mark at 2:58 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

(Edited by Mark at 3:04 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It looks like you know what you want anyway so why ask the question?
<span =''>
Because I don't know - I just know the prices of the bits & pieces.
And I know I don't rate Halcyon as value for money.
YMMV.

Cheers Mark!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

OK Dom - hope the Ali plates from the DIS list works out.

I agree the Halcyon stuff may appear expensive but I have one backplate and harness. Two wings - an Explorer and a Pioneer and I can dive singles or twins without changing the harness. I just swap the wings over. It works for me at a price I'm happy with.

Having said that I might get another s/s backplate set up purely for twins - I've got all the webbing and hardware just need a backplate.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

If he has any left after sorting Dom out I might also be interested.  Can you ask him to send me details.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Dominic, it was me that got the STA for £16.00.  Result!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts