YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new dive boat was launched today from Pepe's yard in Hayling.

Beowulf III is a wide CatFish 38' and is the first UK dive boat to be fitted with twin divers lifts.

Gone are the days of cramped conditions for divers. Each diver ( 12 ) gets at least 80cm of personal wet bench space and a seat inside. There is also plenty of space to relax on the bows or for a spot of angling.

The boat has all the usual electronics and domestics, such as fridge and microwave.

The boat is fitted with 2xCAT 355 hp engines and it is anticipated that cruising speed will be at least 18 kts. Its main 'patch' is Poole & Weymouth bays plus IOW. Getting out to mid-channel wrecks will also be comfortable and quick.

So, if you are bored with the tired old Weymouth wrecks - give Poole a go !

Contact Pete Gough: 07836 548554 / 01202 697844 for bookings.

I have no connection with Beowulf, other than being a happy customer/diver

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a water boiler so you can have as many teas, coffees, chocolates, soups etc as you want.

It really annoys me when skippers 'ration' the drinks to 2 cups a day or worse still, never offer a cup of tea...

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Looks like a nice boat, lifts don't look very good though ;)

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Looks like a nice boat, lifts don't look very good though ;)
I suspect he has heard about Paul Oliver, just leaving a gap doesn't need repairing :D just re-read the 1st thread, 2 lifts in case one breaks :D

(only joking Paul :))

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does he do individuals days (at weekends), or is it whole boat charter? It looks nice
He generally does whole boat charters BUT what has been seen in recent years, is that people can't fill 12 spaces so give them back to the skippers, who contact their 'regulars' Beowulf has a yahoo list ( Beowulf Divers List ) and subscribing to this notifies you of forthcoming dives. The Beowulf Website is also being rebuilt and will have a schedule of dives )

Lifts: Although it does look extravagant to have 2 lifts, it is done purely for diver safety. It is not intended that both will be in operation at the same time - more the port one will be a redundant lift, for the rare occasions of a failure with the primary. Lifts do break as we have all experienced at one time or another and is a royal PITA to get back on board using a ladder. Often it spoils the day as people then don't want to do a second dive as they don't want to use a ladder.

The other safety feature associated with diver pickup is having engine remotes next to the starboard lift so the skipper can precisely position the boat for diver pickup and be right next to the lift for recovery.

Also in the unfortunate scenario there is an unconscious diver on the surface, the skipper can recover the person easily by a combination of the remote engine controls and the lift.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Lifts do break as we have all experienced at one time or another and is a royal PITA to get back on board using a ladder. Often it spoils the day as people then don't want to do a second dive as they don't want to use a ladder.
:eek:mg: Straight up?

Chris/z

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:eek:mg: Straight up?
what I have personally witnessed in recent times - is that people routinely use twinsets now and only go on boats with lifts. They even moan if they can't get the car next to the boat !!! It is one of the reasons side doors were fitted to port & starboard so people don't have to lift sets over the gunwales.

You could argue that people need to get fitter - but why? diving is a hobby and gone are the days of the sport being only for the dead 'ard ;-)

Also there is a growing number of disabled divers who require boats with facilities for them. The boat wouldn't be able to safely take these divers if there was only one lift as a ladder would be possibly too much.

We have a lot to thanks the late Andy Smith for - the divers lift - call it laziness, but I call it a vital piece of diver safety equipment. After a deep, mid-channel trimix dive the last thing I would want is struggle up a ladder & hence don't - been there, had the helecopter ride, and 7 hours in the pot :-(

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
They even moan if they can't get the car next to the boat !!!
That is sad

You could argue that people need to get fitter - but why? diving is a hobby and gone are the days of the sport being only for the dead 'ard ;-)
If people are that worried about climbing a ladder then maybe thay should get fitter

Also there is a growing number of disabled divers who require boats with facilities for them. The boat wouldn't be able to safely take these divers if there was only one lift as a ladder would be possibly too much.
Fair doos

We have a lot to thanks the late Andy Smith for - the divers lift - call it laziness, but I call it a vital piece of diver safety equipment. After a deep, mid-channel trimix dive the last thing I would want is struggle up a ladder & hence don't - been there, had the helecopter ride, and 7 hours in the pot :-(
Not laziness at all,lifts are great, but there's always (or should be) help in getting up a ladder, and if need be, ditch kit, tie it and haul later. Only used a lift once and it made me smile all day!

regards
Chris/z
:)

·
Not so new member
174 Posts
No offence intended, but if it was this boat I saw at the Peverill Buoy on Wednesday night then you seriously need to get an A-flag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts