YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
ive no dought there will be plenty of takers for this fi!

are ya thinking of perhaps a season ticket :teeth:

although on a serious note! stoney is ok but the car park on a sunday morning

usualy has 7 lines before 5.30am and we all know what stoney is like ! well those

of us who cant get to the sea often ! i think this idea will be a winner for em but

on the other side of the coin it will no dought p*ss a lot of people off too!! :teeth:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
lol, divers with big cars / vans will suddenly find themselves popular as early morning activity in the queues would be, 'hey mate, if i can borrow ya boot, i'll slip ya a fiver'! Get enough interest, and the van owner gets a free day out! :teeth:

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Has anyone tried it yet? The website has not changed the spaces available in the last week or so. I suspect they may not have the availability they claim.

Speaking to a chap last night who was there recently and described nearly swimming into the Stanegarth as the vis was so bad he couldn't even see the bottom without crawling over it. Once on the far sode of the tug, things improved a lot. Don't suppose the recent rain again, and a lot of divers over hte weekend will improve things! I'll stick to mid week I think

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We have tried explaining to them it makes better sense to allow Warwick Uni Sub Aqua Club to bring 15 people in a minibus and use ONE space, than say all spaces are gone and you cannot reserve a parking space. Half the members arent registered so they get the £30 reserved space, any space would do, plus usually 10*15 and then at least 5 diverlogs.

Now to me making an extra reserved space makes perfect sense, but could cause problems where there is already inadequate parking

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ummm.. and people like this system?

Did you notice the bit that said they may extend it to the whole lower car park if it's successful?

All they've done is add a £10 parking fee to every visit!

David

·
Registered
8,035 Posts

Did you notice the bit that said they may extend it to the whole lower car park if it's successful?

David
As has been said on many other threads in the past... Isn't that the way business works? Raise the price until people aren't prepared to pay it then position your price just below that. I'm surprised it's not been more expensive at weekends anyway.

I go there so infrequently, and even less frequently at weekends that it doesn't matter too much. I find there's much more parking available at the coast...

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
As has been said on many other threads in the past... Isn't that the way business works? Raise the price until people aren't prepared to pay it then position your price just below that. I'm surprised it's not been more expensive at weekends anyway.

I go there so infrequently, and even less frequently at weekends that it doesn't matter too much. I find there's much more parking available at the coast...
i think £15 each between 2 people will always be a good option dependant on

how often ya go!! and know that even im getting p*ssed off with getting there at

4.30 am on a morning ! but still the easier option than the sea!! but not by

much !!!

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts

David
It's a good point but when I need to do proper diving and need to go to Stoney to do it, my current solution is to drive up the night beforehand, stay in a travellodge/B&B, get up at stupid o'clock, drive to Stoney, get in queue and be annoyed at the people pushing in by joining the earlier queues, try to sleep, miss breakfast then dash for the car parking space and then muster up the energy to go diving.

This new way I can get up at 7, have breakfast, be at Stoney by 10, waltz into my pre-allocated space, do my proper dives then head home still fresh, unhassled and with more money in my pocket.

Sounds like a winner to me.
Mal

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Stoney, proper diving Mal?

;)
You know what proper diving is don't you? As defined recently on YD by a certain Depth Junkie.... skills and drills in the depth range 6 - 12 m fully loaded with twins and stages probably on Trimix too .... but I made that last bit up myself.

I think the 6 - 12m depth variation shows poor buoyancy control but there you go.

Mal

You need to be up to date on all threads, Gary ;)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Well yes, for them it might make sense - more money! But for customers, introducing parking charges (at central London prices!!!) i'd not think would be a good thing?

David

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Well yes, for them it might make sense - more money! But for customers, introducing parking charges (at central London prices!!!) i'd not think would be a good thing?

David
But like all businesses they exist for the benefit of the owners. I'd charge 20 quid for vans and minibuses..... These guys need a good marketing chap :D

Chris

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Is this going to end up being like a good London West End show? You can only get booked 6 months in advance????!!!!

However, I think it's a great idea! Either that or don't go to Stoney on a weekend! It's never that busy during the week! :angel: (and then if you lot start going during the week it'll leave it empty for ME on a weekend!!!)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.