YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

as has been pointed out elsewhere I have a nice new toy.......ah, thanks to my flexible friend...sweeeeett!

Was on the Hood last week with IanP and came across this fella.  

Piccies ok but I've a lot of learning to do before I can be really happy with  me snaps!

Setup was a Oly c5050z and PT-015 - a nice setup to use and I won't grow out of it too quickly!

Tim

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Nice pics and set up. particularly like the BW pic.

So when are you gettin the strobe

By the way, how was the PT015 housing, I`ve heard good reports. I`m now coveting your set up (got a 4040z + PT010) as by all accounts its the dogs doodaas

Have you tried www.digitaldiver.net - they have some useful sections and it seems the set up you have is the one they all rave over

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers Kirky,

yeah I found the housing real easy to use and allows you to access all the cameras controls.  If you want to try it out let me know - are you in Anglesey?

The strobe is something I'll be looking at in the future - thats tomorrow innit? - but will have to carry on using the basic rig for now.  I did post the cuttlefish piccie on Digital diver also coz I want some tips on how to reduce the green tinge within the camera - if it can be done.  I can do it with post editing but would rather now have to.

ps you can now get the camera for a whole lot less than the 650+ squiddies I've seen quoted - just go to the friendly Jessops store you can get one for 499.  I know a lot a folks out there don't like Jessops but I found them ok (well, cheap and that's about it) - don't tell me mother tho - she's owns camera shops and would shoot me if she found out!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Say Tim, you got any vacancies in your line of work? Sounds like it pays better than science, think you're overtaking Bren and Gav in the dive-kit spending spree
Acually I had me eye on the 5050 and was mooching to see if it comes down in price over the summer, if not, hey ho! IFC at Jessops whay-hay  

Chee-az
Steve

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Hello chaps

As you may know, Gav and I are just back (well, yesterday - Sunday) from Bali.

Had a great time and I got a chance to try out my new camera set-up.  I have the Olympus c50z with the PT14 housing and I was very happy with it.  

Inevitably it takes some getting used to new kit, so not all the photos are quite as I would have hoped, but as soon as I've got them onto our PC, I'll post a couple.

My c50z was £418 and the housing was somewhere around the £200 mark (can't quite remember) - I could look out exact prices and suppliers if anyone is interested.

I guess my next step should be a book or course on underwater digital photography!!

Nice purchase tho' Tim!

Fi  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Welcome back you jammy buggers (not the slightest bit jealous....
  )
no doubt you'll be making the rest of us  really envious with a trip report soon?
Chee-az
steve

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hi Fi, can't wait to see your piccies and read the report.

With you on the comment about piccies not being what you'd hoped but I'm starting to discover just what some of these image editing doobries can do - its flippin' amazing.  So hopefully, even with the piccies that you're not too happy, you can turn them into something quite respectable.

Tim

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Tim - the copy will be in the post tomorrow. For beginners use the `auto levels` command in the image menu but DONT resave the pic with the same filename until you are happy. Best is to play around with a crappy pic to start with

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fi @ June 09 2003,14:45)]I guess my next step should be a book or course on underwater digital photography!!
Hey Fiona,

Firstly, welcome back, you and Gav both, from your Bali sojourn! Jammy gits

If you're serious about that last comment, I'm in contact with Hilary Lee, the Managing Director/Owner of the leading photo-course dive trip org 'DiveQuest'. They do the kind of destination that you and Gav seek out - everything from diving and photographing Humpback Whales in French Polynesia, to 'muck-diving' to photo the wee critters in Leyang Leyang, to same with schooling Hammerheads in parts, far-flung, various - Galapagos Islands etc.

And I know a lot of dive brochures and periodicals 'claim' to be 'coffee-table' standard, but DiveQuest actually IS - it's actually a softback book with detailed explanations and reviews of all their tours and some breath-taking colour photies to boot. Indeed, they run 'underwater photography dive clinics' all over the world from resorts various & off  liveaboards with tailor-made trips with their own on-board development lab! In short, I'm impressed and I think you will be.

You can read their whole brochure on-line at:

http://www.divequest.co.uk

or contact Hilary direct at:

[email protected]

I strongly recommend that you call them and ask them to send you a brochure in the post as just handling their brochure is a delight (I've got them all from the last four years).

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results of your Bali labours.

Take care.

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Cheers for that Bren.

I will order a brochure forthwith!!

Managed to get the photos onto PC last night, so will post a couple here tonight.

Fi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts