YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've just ordered a housing for my Canon S45 PowerShot digital camera, however this housing (WP-DC300) was only rated to 30m. Does anybody have this housing and have you used it beyond this range & how have you found it?

I noticed on the underwater camera website that they sell a Sea & Sea Bayonet Adapter 38101, for MM2 macro and wide angle lenses, so has anybody used these and how well do they function as the cost is approx £200 per lens?

Does anybody have recommendations for a strobe the Sea & Sea YS25AUTO seems to be the one to go for. This is my first underwater camera. (hired the odd one in sharm with pretty poor results).

thanks

gareth

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I dont know about depth for the housing but mine is also rated to 30m and has been to 35m. If in doubt insure the kit.

I have used wide angla and macro when I had the S&S MMEXII. Now got a wide angle lens for the housing (screws in) - check out www.camerasunderwater.co.uk.

My advice would be simple. Before you go spending more money, get used to the kit and get more experience. When you are happy then go for the macro/WAL.

Strobes are a different thing. FWIW, again wait until you see the results from using the on board flash. Most strobes wont light up beyond 6 feet from the camera but are great for close in stuff.

If you intend getting a bit serious I would go for the S&S YS90DX + cord. This will stop you having to upgrade in future. The folk I have talked to reckon the YS25DX is OK for very close shots but beyond about 3 feet are useless. Having said that, the bigger strobes will only light up to 6 feet from the lens.

Hope this helps (by the way I will also be getting the bayonet fitting and the macro lens after Xmas)

For heaps of info, go to www.digitaldiver.net
Its a great site with loads of advice etc and they do not frown on beginners - they are very helpful.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hey Kirky,

Thanks for the advice. That internet sits does look vety good.

gareth

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I have the WPDC 600 (I think) for my Ixus V3. It went to 42mts safely but I didn't intend it to. I suddenly remembered at 20mts that it was only rated to 30 mts and thought "oh well".

It survived
 thankfully.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I think there is a certain tolerence in the recommendations.  Afterall it would be pretty sad day if it flooded at 31m (Well a pretty sad day if it floods at 1m!).

I have heard of depths down to 36m, looks like Phil has the record.

To be honest, all the best pictures I have ever seen were taken at depths less than 20m,  bit of a pisser I know but anything over 35m I would not take it,  I realise you will probably miss out on the shot of a whaleshark being circled by a cluster of Manta rays on the way back up though.  

Daz

Daz's number one tip :- Always have your camera in the housing to avoid missing potential good shots.  If I didn't say it, you would  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I've taken my trusty old sea and sea MX-5 to 45 metres in the red sea (ras mohammed) and that's only rated to 35 but that was accidental. As far as I know the problem with the depth isn't the o-ring as the seal gets better with more pressure but the risk of cracking the housing is increased

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Dec. 08 2003,21:36)]Daz's number one tip :- Always have your camera in the housing to avoid missing potential good shots.  If I didn't say it, you would  
<font color='#000F22'>Hey Daz,

It that like out little trip to the NDC a few weeks back and that 4ft pike, when you didn't have the camera in the housing.  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Westfield or divemaster are popular.

divemaster cover flood damage to cameras and housings IIRC.

Might also be worth looking at any options for including it in your home, contents insurance under a all risk catagory.

HTH

Daz

Westfield
Dive Master Insurance

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reeve @ Dec. 07 2003,17:29)]I've just ordered a housing for my Canon S45 PowerShot digital camera, however this housing (WP-DC300) was only rated to 30m. Does anybody have this housing and have you used it beyond this range & how have you found it?
I've got a similar model, the DC-800 housing for the Canon Ixus 400. This one is rated to 40m. I haven't used it beyond the range, but I have taken it to 20m with no problems. As I progress in depth for the Sports Diver qualification I intend to take it deeper.

Make sure you put silicon grease around the o-ring of the housing. You usually get a tube with the housing when you buy it. I didn't put any on at first and there was some seepage, but since I've been using the silicon it's been fine.

If in doubt, why not just take the housing down without the camera to test it out? I did this a couple of times - I just put a tissue inside the housing. If the tissue is dry when you come up, you're in business!  

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I insured my UW camera gear as an extension to my home contents policy with Direct line. I had to have `out of house losses` cover as well - all for the princly sum of £2 extra per month.

This includes camera/housing/strobe/lenses etc. make sure the cover also covers accidental loss. They eventually understood that if I had my arm bitten off by a shark and that the camera was in it then this would be an accident !!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Cheers for all your suggestions. I think a dip in Chepstow with camera and some tissue might be in order. If it's ok will try again to 40m.

Does anyone know if it's the pressure on the buttons or the seal. i.e can be taken beyond specified range as long as it's not used?

thx

gareth

·
Registered
959 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Word to the wise. Be very meticulous when cleaning your O ring and housing.  My housing is rated to 70M but leaked at 4M through a bit of dirt.  I called my dive to prevent further leaking and saved my camera.  Always check for leaks as you descend, could save you a lot of money!

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts