YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a new diver - ive just logged my 24th nearly up to that golden page in the padi folder...

im a confident swimmer and always have been, i learnt padi with my old man who (in his day) was a bsac instructor - since moved to padi and now is rescue diver

anyhow what is my problem - i have this urge when diving past 20m to expect narc - ive heard about it and read about it so much since OW that i kinda sit around expecting to be happily diving one minute and punch drunk the next - i wouldnt mind so much but its got to the point where i get to 20+ and just expect something to happen and then ascend a bit... going fking crazy here - i know it hits diff people at diff depths but what should i be looking out for....

ive gotten myself so worked up about it that i dare do my advanced open water deep dive till ive had a good few dives at around the 20-25m mark when officially im only qualified to dive to 18....
am i over paranoid or what??? i know in most things "being carefull" is OTT, but when it comes to diving - i think its a good thing, surely...

advice pleeeease!!!!

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I have to ask....why are you looking for it????

I appreciate that you want to be aware of it but often when you experience it you discount it as not being narcosis!

I'm generally fine to 30m....sometimes 40m but it depends on the vis, the workload, the person I'm diving with......there are so many factors.

When you do your AOW for the deep dive you'll do a task and you'll be timed on the surface...then underwater......more often than not your underwater performance is slower than your surface peformance. That is usually the first indication.

Euphoria sometimes happens.....so does panic....it varies, there is no golden rule....except.....don't go looking for trouble :)

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
You're worrying too much. Narcosis can be noticeable at those kind of depths (I sometimes get a little) but is rarely as dramatic as you might imagine. Most people probably start to notice a little about 30+.

To be honest, one of the functions of the AOW Deep dive is to help you begin to understand a bit about narcosis - hence the tasks you will do at depth and on the surface for comparison purposes.

It sounds like you would benefit from going a little deeper in a controlled manner with an instructor - which is exactly what the AOW Deep dive would give you. So I'd say go for the AOW course, as it might well be the best way of getting over your 'problem'.

PS it's perfectly natural to be worried about it!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
It's like drinking. You've already been down the pub and had a couple of pints, and you didn't even notice. That bit further is just another pint. You'll jsut find yourself more inclined to chat up that barmaid you've been meaning to talk to for a while. :)

You probably won't notice it. Many people don't. I've been on dives with people who were almost comatose and had no idea how out of it they were (they usually don't remember much of it), and I'm sure I will have been narked plenty and obviously to others, but for me to notice it I had to get to 60m in crap viz on air. But I wouldn't suggest anyone goes and does that, because it's a bit like drinking 12 pints then driving round the M25. Or diving an Inspo.

I wouldn't worry about it. A bit of nerves is ok but if possible wy not dive somewhere with a wall you can call a halt to the depth if you're not comfortable with? That way if you get to 25m and want to stop you can and still go for a dive, and come back and try a bit deeper if you want.

All this said, there's no reason to dive deeper than 10m ever for many many people. It's not required in a great number of dive sites. But I'd probably go to 20m just to make sure you've seen everything :)

Digs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks guys - thats a real help

i reckon im being overly paranoid - ive got this fixation for some reason that if i get to 30 meters, ill automatically go dizzy and either freak out for the surface or have a free flow - thats my other major malfunction... i think im just worrying too much - maybe a good thing maybe holding me back - after every safety stop before surfacing i hold my purge and do a free flow drill - just so as i know what its like.. believe it or not im not one of these types that feels a pain and goes straight to the doctors... i love diving but past about 20m all i think about is - wheres my buddy? could i sort myself out if my reg free flowed - wheres my knife - how much air do i have left - what if this, what if that...

it doesnt ruin the experience but when i take a minute to watch my buddy (the old man) he dives like he was born underwater, me i sometimes feel like a fish out of water (no pun intended)

bottom time - thats what i need - my hope one day is to be able to train people, new people, to enjoy all that is beneath the surface - its such a vast world down there its intoxicating!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I would suggest you speak to an instructor and raise the issues you have. Sounds like quite a lot of anxiety and quite focused on certain issues. You could consider using equipment such as a pony cylinder to ease some of those concerns, but you should practice with it on shallow dives to make sure you're comfortable.

By free flow drill what do you mean? Practice breathing from a freeflowing reg? Or turning the valve off? Either way I wouldn't reccomend doing either on a single tank really.

I find a sense check is a good idea on a lot of dives. WHen you hit the bottom, or at a sensible place on the way, just check everything is where it's supposed to be and that you are ok to continue. This should ease many of your concerns. But if you are still anxious then you should think about how to address this.

Digs.

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
some people reffer to martini diving,
i.e. every 10 meters of depth feels like you have drank one martini.
having never drank Martini but have experienced narcossis, i can tell you not to be worried about it.
its more associated with 30m+ diving although not limited to such.
as your aware it has an effect on people differently.
how much you drank the night before, how tired you feel, how nervous you are etc.
in all my diving i can say i have only had 2 serious bouts, one was great as it was euphoric & i felt bullet-proof.
the other wasnt so great as it was a total headspin at 24m, but i had been at 50+m on the previous dive, i had been drinking the night before, little to eat, not recomended.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
And if you feel pain you should go to a doctor. Especially after diving. Just in case that was what you meant.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
ive gotten myself so worked up about it that i dare do my advanced open water deep dive till ive had a good few dives at around the 20-25m mark when officially im only qualified to dive to 18....
am i over paranoid or what??? i know in most things "being carefull" is OTT, but when it comes to diving - i think its a good thing, surely...

advice pleeeease!!!!
Firstly, and I keep saying this, the depths stated by the training organizations are RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY! Of course common sense and allowance for conditions + one's own abilities should be taken into account but ..........

Yes, you are being over paranoid. Narcosis affects different people at different depths and even the same people at diff depths on diff days AND takes diff forms. For most people it is not a problem and probably nothing like the problem you are builing in your own mind!

When you see the standard of some of the divers around (esp on hols) and if they can can cope then ..... well, nuff said? :)

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
i love diving but past about 20m all i think about is - wheres my buddy? could i sort myself out if my reg free flowed - wheres my knife - how much air do i have left - what if this, what if that...
I still say its a good thing. some newer divers think they can walk on water.
some are more cautious they seem to make beter divers in the end.
with only a few dives under your belt I think you about right with what you feel.

after 500 dives if you still feel like this then seek help :)

David

·
23,946 Posts
Not sure if there is nuff said. That sentence didn't make any sense to me :)

That's because I forgot ........ deliberately forgot the word "see" between "you" and "some". At the end I got too lazy to type out "if they can do it then I'm sure you can".

FFS Digger, aren't you telepathic?

:)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
More tea vicar? Took me another 2 minutes to make sense of that! Got it now. So what we're saying is there's plenty of crap divers ok to 30m out there, or who at least have done the dives. So it should be no problem for someone who is taking their time and has done a few dives.

Personally I find depth is something that comes fairly naturally. You do a dive to a depth and it's ok, and you're relaxed, so you go a bit deeper, and that carries on until you get to the limits of your qualifications. THen you stop and go on a course. Obviously. ;)

Digs.

·
23,946 Posts
Personally I find depth is something that comes fairly naturally. You do a dive to a depth and it's ok, and you're relaxed, so you go a bit deeper, and that carries on until you get to the limits of your qualifications. THen you stop and go on a course. Obviously. :wink:

Digs.
Gotcha ;).

I think my telepathy is working ............. oi, who are you calling a cnut?

:teeth:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i reckon youre right -

firstly to answer Diggers question - by free flow drill i mean - after a safety stop and before surfacing, i purge my main reg fully, then take it out of my mouth and practice "breathing from a free flowing reg" for 5-10 breaths... im getting a refill so what the hell.. plus if i get a mouth/lung full of water im virtually on the surface anyway

i do have a tendancy to be overcautious when diving - it goes

jump in
am i good - yes
wheres my octo
wheres my guage
wheres my buddy

problem is i go through this routine about once a minute more so as we decsend, im sure its just nerves - - like i said, i need some more bottom time to gain some confidence

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys - we've got out of sync somewhere along the line - but nevermind..

your comments are welcome and i feel positive - thats the main thing, im sure many new divers feel the same - those that don't, good luck to em

ill continue plumbing the depths of vobster etc till im up for my AOW deep dive - who knows, in a few years i maybe taking students in there myself :angel:

thanks again for heads up

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
ill continue plumbing the depths of vobster etc till im up for my AOW deep dive - who knows, in a few years i maybe taking students in there myself :angel:
take in to account some basic gas managment or you wont be taking any students in ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
watch this space sonny jim.... ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts