YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi ,

I'm thinking of changing some of my equipment and was looking for some feedback on the following items. Pro force fins and Buddy self inflating SMB's. I'm finding at the moment that at the end of a dive that I'm starting to suffer from cramp (probably need to do more exercise) which is the reason for the proposed fin change and for ease of bagging off on the SMB. Any info/views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Flint

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Not sure how the question fits into Planned Trips, Steve!

Anyway, can't say much about the SMB but can offer some input on the fins.

I was getting cramped calves, but as a result of nerve damage from a back injury. I tried a set of Scubapro split fins (which Timing kindly lent to me for a test) and they did the job just a treat. Went straight out and bought some, though the Tusa Expert Zoom version. Not had a cramp problem since.

I think the difference is in the technique - a shorter but quicker flutter kick - which doesn't strain the lower leg muscles as much.

I'd suggest you borrow some and give them a try before going for the Force fins (though they may be just as good - not tried them).

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I have just bought some force fins, they are strange at first because it feels like you have forgotten to put them on once you get in the water! the transfer of power is great, but your legs do not feel like they have been working. they feel very light on your feet and they are very comfortable (as long as you have the correct size) they are also very easy to walk around in once you get back onboard the boat because the corners turn up slightly they do not dig in to the decking.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>That last is a worthwhile point from John. The split fins are a right bugger to walk in on a boat!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have had a pair of force fins for 3 years and would not be without them, it will probably take a few dives to get used to em' tho'

Make sure you get them in lime green  

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the input guys - I'll see if my local LDS will let me have a try out of the force and splits. Steve why do they have to be lime green?

Steve Flint

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flinty96 @ Oct. 12 2003,20:30)]Steve why do they have to be lime green?

Steve Flint
<font color='#000080'>Hi Steve,

because everyone except moi seems to have them in technical black

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I agree, Lime green is the way to go. The fins aren't just lime green, they are LIME GREEN!!!!! they go well with my all black techie rig too. Dont colour co-ordinate, clash!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Buddy self inflating SMB is the dogs danglies.

Pros - self reliant, no worries about free-flowing the reg or getting caught up in the smb.

Cons - single fire and forget, so if you surface and then submerge again i.e. lost buddy at the begining of a dive you have to inflate manually. Cost, bulk,  needs to be same fitting as main tank as thats where you fill it from, which is a bit of a bugger if you change from A to DIN after purchase.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Have to agree with Matt – the Buddy self-inflating smb makes flying the smb a piece of cake. The only real disadvantages are the cost and the fact that you have to remember to fill the little cylinder. Get the one with the 1 dl cylinder – it's plenty big enough. Unfortunately, I lost mine on Saturday. It somehow came unravelled and unclipped and fell off, presumably just as I ascended as I had it during the safety stop. As it wasn't inflated, it didn't float and I didn't notice it was missing until I was back on the boat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Thanks again for the info guys, the self inflating SMB is now definately one for the christmas list ( not sure that my son would appreciate one for his 10th birthday the week after next but I surpose I could always try and convince him it's some kind of new type ballon). Not sure about the lime green fins though - don't want to appear a fashion victim so I will probably go for the yellow ones to match my poseidon suit
:)
Thanks again

Steve Flint

1 - 11 of 11 Posts